Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 11:08 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,865,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I would recommend posting a message saying "The thread will be open from 8am on this day, to 8am on this day." Or pick whatever time. but keep it open for at least 24 hours and then close it. People can hit that time span whenever if they plan for it. If they don't make it, well, they can plan on the next one. It's not like we'll only have one.
Once it's closed, the voting is closed too. I want to make sure we have ample time for everyone to get their pics to the site (it will need to be open) and then allow the voting.....

I'm really glad you asked that question though, FedupWNY. You helped me learn my 'one new thing' for the day.

When I start the new thread, I can set up the poll (a poll has to be attached at launch, I haven't found a way to create a poll in an existing thread).

Anyway, I can launch the thread with the poll in place but CLOSED for voting. We'll give everyone 24 hours to post their picture, then I'll open the poll for voting. I can't close the thread to posts and leave the poll open, so I'm anticipating having to delete posts that are made by new members, people trying to pay compliments, or late comers who missed the entry thread, but it's not a big deal....I think we can handle it.

Does that answer your question?

Is everyone cool with this so far?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 11:11 AM

18,700 posts, read 41,965,616 times
I forsee some bumps in the road. But what the hey, let's get started and we can iron them out as we go.

It's an outstanding concept, it's just difficult to figure out all the rules. But throw up a thread, I'll snap a shot and upload, and we'll see what transpires. haha

Old 12-07-2007, 12:04 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,155,304 times
Usually contests like this are run on monthly bases.

You pick a theme
Start contest:
Dec 1 through dec. 20th (you have 20 days to enter).

Start voting:
You vote Dec 21 through Dec 28th (1 week for voting)

Dec. 30st you announce a winner. Winner chooses next theme.....

Jan. 1st new contest started..... and so on.

Variations:
Let public vote:
(how do you make sure no one is voting for their stuff? Honesty is a key here)
or
Set up a panel of Judges.

Or:
If you have lots of entries, you can have public votes, then top 10-5-3 (whichever number of entries) goes to judges. They decide on the winner, or leave it for another vote. Usually works for TIE!

We can also do weekly assignments. No votes, just for fun to see how creative we can be. )

Old 12-07-2007, 12:17 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,167,233 times
Why wouldn't you allow people to vote for their own?

Old 12-07-2007, 12:20 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,155,304 times
I've never been in a contest where people vote for their own stuff? What is the point then?

Old 12-07-2007, 12:30 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,167,233 times
If you feel yours is the best there should be no problem with it. Then again these sorts of things tend to be a popularity contest so it wouldn't really matter if one were allowed to vote on their own or not.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:50 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,201,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Once it's closed, the voting is closed too. I want to make sure we have ample time for everyone to get their pics to the site (it will need to be open) and then allow the voting.....

I'm really glad you asked that question though, FedupWNY. You helped me learn my 'one new thing' for the day.

When I start the new thread, I can set up the poll (a poll has to be attached at launch, I haven't found a way to create a poll in an existing thread).

Anyway, I can launch the thread with the poll in place but CLOSED for voting. We'll give everyone 24 hours to post their picture, then I'll open the poll for voting. I can't close the thread to posts and leave the poll open, so I'm anticipating having to delete posts that are made by new members, people trying to pay compliments, or late comers who missed the entry thread, but it's not a big deal....I think we can handle it.

Does that answer your question?

Is everyone cool with this so far?

My thought is: have all participants direct message their images via attachment (aka thumbnail), when creating the post you can open the attachments and post full size pictures of who took shots of what & that way there's no waiting on all the contestants. All the pictures will go up at once and polling can begin immediately.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:51 PM

I've thought about the aspect of voting for your own. Since the software and the mods strictly enforce no dual accounts, I have no real issue with people submitting one vote for their own work.

Again, it's not like we're competing for a large prize. This is just a trail run. Let's see how this one goes and adjust as necessary on subsequent competitions.

Word to the wise, if you don't know how to post a picture, you have a few days to learn. I'm going to open the thread and folks will have 24 hours to get their photos uploaded to the contest thread. After that, the voting will be opened.

EDIT: I just realized this was my 3000th post. Wow. Anyway, I'm glad it was here in Photography.

Last edited by Alpha8207; 12-07-2007 at 01:00 PM..

Old 12-07-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
My thought is: have all participants direct message their images via attachment (aka thumbnail), when creating the post you can open the attachments and post full size pictures of who took shots of what & that way there's no waiting on all the contestants. All the pictures will go up at once and polling can begin immediately.
So all the photos would be in one large post by me.

Hmmm...

Well, again, let's try it individually and see how it works with folks posting their own stuff. That would also give everyone at least an opportunity to leave rep points for the individual submitters since 'nice shot' etc aren't going to be allowed.

But listen, FedupWNY, when you have a chance DM an image(not your submission) and I'll play with it on a practice forum mods have to see how difficult and time consuming it would be for me.

Remember, despite my constant posting and time here, I'm a volunteer with an actual real job!

Old 12-07-2007, 01:38 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,201,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post

But listen, FedupWNY, when you have a chance DM an image(not your submission) and I'll play with it on a practice forum mods have to see how difficult and time consuming it would be for me.
I didn't realize when I wrote my last post that the direct messaging set up here doesn't include sending attachments, so out goes that idea.

I'm audi for work myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography