Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think it looks stupid to take a photo with a tablet?
Yes 61 62.24%
No 30 30.61%
I've never seen a person take a picture with a tablet 7 7.14%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 09:28 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Of course it matters. Only an IDIOT would say otherwise. If you call yourself a "photographer" and ON PURPOSE you use a stupid freaking PHONE or tablet for your "work," you are a blithering idiot and you deserve to be called one.
Well since you've escalated to name calling, you must be right. My bad. Have a great day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 08:44 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Well since you've escalated to name calling, you must be right. My bad. Have a great day.
Some people just can't accept any other way but theirs. Can't argue with such, and one can post a great number of award-winning photos taken with all kinds of cameras, phones, tablets and the rest, and it won't make a difference.

Meanwhile:
http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/11/56...-photo-contest

Old 05-14-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Some people just can't accept any other way but theirs. Can't argue with such, and one can post a great number of award-winning photos taken with all kinds of cameras, phones, tablets and the rest, and it won't make a difference.

Meanwhile:
Help the Smithsonian choose the best mobile photos of the year | The Verge
Bingo.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:38 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,315,009 times
Quote:

Meanwhile:
Help the Smithsonian choose the best mobile photos of the year | The Verge
That's right, it won't. Right is right, and wrong is wrong. Besides, I edited the post.

Look, this poll asked if people thought those who use tablets as cameras look stupid, and I said it did, but not for the same reason everyone else did. I use real cameras because I strive for excellence and high image quality is a major part of that. Tablets compared to real cameras don't compare. Yes someone won an award using a toy camera, so what? I know a lot of people who have won chili cookoff contests, it doesn't mean they're chefs.

If we can debate about people supposedly looking silly using tablets as cameras, I think we can certainly talk about their inferior image quality. If image quality and the camera used don't matter, then explain how Nikon and Canon manage to sell so many DSLRs and lenses every year. Obviously a lot of people know the deal. I sure do. Others don't, that's their inferior thinking at play, not mine. Like I've heard said before, you can't teach good taste.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:18 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,414,415 times
I have more important things to think about. Is it so bad that I like using my Nikkormat FT2 film camera?

Old 05-16-2014, 11:33 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
That's right, it won't. Right is right, and wrong is wrong. Besides, I edited the post.

Look, this poll asked if people thought those who use tablets as cameras look stupid, and I said it did, but not for the same reason everyone else did. I use real cameras because I strive for excellence and high image quality is a major part of that. Tablets compared to real cameras don't compare. Yes someone won an award using a toy camera, so what? I know a lot of people who have won chili cookoff contests, it doesn't mean they're chefs.

If we can debate about people supposedly looking silly using tablets as cameras, I think we can certainly talk about their inferior image quality. If image quality and the camera used don't matter, then explain how Nikon and Canon manage to sell so many DSLRs and lenses every year. Obviously a lot of people know the deal. I sure do. Others don't, that's their inferior thinking at play, not mine. Like I've heard said before, you can't teach good taste.
Do you really believe that what makes an image of "superior or inferior quality" is the tool used to take the photo? An award-winning photo is always superior in all respects to a crapy photo, regardless of the type of camera used. A good photographer has a better chance to take a photo that's superior, in all respects, with a crappy camera, than a crappy photographer with a top of the line camera.

Old 05-17-2014, 05:44 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,729,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
It looks even stupider when a lot of people do it at the same time like at a kids school play or something and keep other people from being able to see.
have to agree here.. we had one man who climbed up on to a seat with his , making it impossible for us and some others behind to see at all...

Old 05-17-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Do you really believe that what makes an image of "superior or inferior quality" is the tool used to take the photo? An award-winning photo is always superior in all respects to a crapy photo, regardless of the type of camera used. A good photographer has a better chance to take a photo that's superior, in all respects, with a crappy camera, than a crappy photographer with a top of the line camera.
That's not the point. The point is, if you are someone that fancies yourself a "photographer," not just an average everyday snap-shooter, then you take that seriously and get a tool commensurate with that aspiration. It's no different than how someone who fancies themselves something of a golfer will get themselves a GOOD set of golf clubs, for instance, even though Tiger Woods with a set of broomsticks would outperform a "weekend warrior" with a quality set of clubs.

Anymore, this phone photography nonsense has become such a poison to our fine art, I think something should be done about it. If it were up to me, professional photography, the type that one is paid for as a service rendered, would be licensed by a governing body, similar to being a doctor or attorney. There would be an exam you'd have to take and pass to be licensed to practice professional photography. Among the subjects covered: you'd have to know f-stops vs shutter speeds, ISO, white balance, lighting, composition, depth-of-field, etc.

The thing is, for professions that are licensed that way, not only is there an exam you have to pass, there are also regulations for how you practice the profession once you're in, and any violations can cause you to have your license to practice that profession revoked. You guessed it--in pro photography, there would be a very firm "no phone cameras" edict. REGARDLESS of the results achieved, if you were caught using a phone camera in a professional capacity, your license to practice professional photography would be revoked. This edict would be used to MAKE and ORDER people stop this tasteless and blasphemous act. The message would be clear--you want to pay in the big leagues, your toy camera isn't good enough anymore. Step up, or get out altogether.

It has NOTHING to do with any supposed "photographer with Nikon > photographer with Kodak" idea in and of itself. Again, you have to have the skills and the "eye" as well. However, tell me--when's the last time you saw a quality concert-caliber pianist playing a beautiful piece on a child's Fisher Price toy piano? When's the last time you saw a quality drummer using a set of drums bought at Toys R Us? When's the last time you saw a race-car driver "racing" in a Ford Pinto? When's the last time you saw Tom Petty playing guitar on something bought at a flea market? (He collects quality Rickenbacker guitars.) When's the last time you saw Michael Phelps competing in a plastic above-ground pool? When's the last time you saw LeBron James playing basketball with a basketball and shoes bought at Family Dollar?

Obviously a concert pianist could do better on a toy piano than I could a $5000 one, Jeff Gordon could race better in a Yugo than I could a Mustang V8, and Tom Petty could play better on a flea market guitar than I could a Rickenbacker, and LeBron could beat me in a game I don't care if I'm wearing Air Jordans and he's barefooted--we all know that. However, when you get to or aspire to get to that level, you use the GOOD stuff in doing it. Same thing here, I say.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:21 AM

It must be sad to live your life with such a closed-minded attitude. Photoshop guru and master photographer, Jack Davis, is teaching a course on panoramas on Creative Live right now. Tune in if you can: http://www.creativelive.com/live1

He explains for many situations, he prefers to use his Iphone to take panos over his Gigapan/DSLR setup. In fact, he's showing stunning examples right now.

Check out this gadget, a robotic control for Iphones to shoot panos, timelapses and all sorts of cool stuff. Motrr | Galileo

Technology is moving at an extremely rapid pace. Open your mind a little, maybe you'll learn something.

Last edited by kdog; 05-17-2014 at 11:47 AM..

Old 05-17-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
It must be sad to live your life with such a closed-minded attitude. Photoshop guru and master photographer, Jack Davis, is teaching a course on panoramas on Creative Live right now. Tune in if you can: Free Online Creative Class - Live Video Broadcast | CreativeLive - Learn. Be Inspired.

He explains for many situations, he prefers to use his Iphone to take panos over his Gigapan/DSLR setup. In fact, he's showing stunning examples right now.

Check out this gadget, a robotic control for Iphones to shoot panos, timelapses and all sorts of cool stuff. Motrr | Galileo

Technology is moving at an extremely rapid pace. Open your mind a little, maybe you'll learn something.
It must be sad to have so "open" a mind that boundaries are irrelevant (maybe we should have more of an "open mind" about what side of the road to drive on and whether 2+5 = 7) and any standards of excellence or right/wrong are irrelevant, anything goes, and the striving for excellence and maintaining any sense of order is now unnecessary. I'd rather take a stand. As the saying goes--you've got to stand for something, or you'll fall for anything, and I'm not falling for this perverted poison.

If Jack Davis prefers a phone, he's a moron. He's a two bit schyster, a fraud, and an outright idiot. Using a "fruit" phone for photography, when you have the Panasonic GM1, Sony RX 100 series, and many other small and lightweight and far superior options? What next, are we going to hear that Keith Richards prefers using a $5 guitar purchased from Big Lots or the like? Oh wait, I know, maybe Jeff Gordon prefers "racing" on a Big Wheel. Stop the presses--sometimes when Nelson Cruz is at bat, he prefers using a plastic bat bought from Toys R Us. That world-renowned chef preparing award-winning Italian cuisine at a high-scale eatery in Rome that you have to get reservations for and that will set you back $100 per person to eat there--guess what, sometimes he prefers Ragu or Chef-Boyardee.

Give me a break.

Oh but hey, you've got have an open mind. I mean, what's with all these annoying standards? Hey I know, maybe that high-dollar eatery in Rome shouldn't have a dress code for the "atmosphere" they're seeking--if I want to show up wearing torn overalls and a straw hat with a toothpick sticking out from the one lone tooth I still have, who are YOU to say what's suitable for such a place? Maybe I should go to court wearing nothing but spandex and tell everyone there to have an "open mind." Hey, I know--maybe Lexus cars should have vinyl seats and hand-crank windows right next to the gear shifter that has a "1 R P N D" pattern because, hey, who are you to say it should be "P R N D 2 1?" On top of that, I think the left pedal should be the accelerator, the right pedal should be for opening the trunk, and the brakes should be a tiny 1" triangle-shaped button located near the sunroof. And these people correcting you for your grammar mistakes, such as "your stupid," (should be you're), what a bunch of uptight repressed old fogies they are, what does it matter ef yaw wards awent spheled kawreckly?

Like I said, it's time for an organization for accrediting professional photographers. You must pass an exam showcasing your knowledge base of the various things, demonstrate a half-decent eye for composition and the like, and yes--swear to an oath that you will always use a "real" camera and NEVER use some toy used by sorority girls talking selfies of all their bar-hopping exploits or soccer moms for their dinky Hipstomatic-splattered kiddie clicks. Do it, and your license to practice official professional photography in the public realm is yanked.

I am absolutely serious as a heart attack about this.

If I were the university, I'd kick Jack Davis out on his Keister until he stopped with the nonsense and understood that real photographers use real cameras. That is the standard, and it will never change. I don't care if 30,000,000,000,000,000,000 people say otherwise--I am right, they are all wrong. Period. Call me a "luddite" or an "old fogey stuck in the past" or how everyone's laughing at my so-called "ignorance" or I'm someone "pounding sand" at change, blah blah blah--I don't care. I am right about this, and I know it, and that's it.

Last edited by shyguylh; 05-17-2014 at 03:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography