U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2014, 05:00 PM

9,263 posts, read 6,191,385 times

Advertisements

MrsM and I are going to spend a week in Las Vegas in November. We have taken several Death Valley trips in the past but have never been to the Race Track. (Super high temps have prevented it in the past) If Nov weather is mild, we want to go.

Is the Race Trip a possible (Long) day trip from LV? If we go, it will the 1st morning of our vacation. We will still be on EST.

Let me know if you think this will work

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 02:22 PM

1,455 posts, read 3,643,746 times
Many years ago I flew to Vegas with a friend and stayed for five days. One of those days we got up early and took the rental car to Death Valley. It is way too big to see the whole park thoroughly in a day, but if there was just a spot or two you wanted to explore and then do a little driving -- yep, totally do-able. I absolutely fell in love with the place that day. It was a loooong day and I didn't get to see nearly as much of the park as I wanted to, but it inspired me to take a Detroit-to-Death Valley road trip the next winter for some camping and exploration. Do it!

Old 06-09-2014, 02:53 PM

9,420 posts, read 17,407,358 times
Sad to say that the Racetrack has been pretty much destroyed by vandals. See the pictures on the Death Valley Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

It's easily doable in one day from Vegas, but it would just kill me to see it defaced like this. I've been there several times in the past and it used to be a pristine, almost spiritual place. However, each subsequent time showed more and more damage from disrespectful people including tire tracks and stolen or moved rocks. It really sucks to walk for 30 minutes and get to a rock trail, but the rock is missing. Or vice versa.

If you do decide to do it, a high-clearance vehicle is recommended, preferably with two spare tires. LOTs of people have flats from hitting rocks on the long dirt road leading in, and sometimes even two flats can happen. Road service out there will cost you will north of $1K from what I understand. Sunset and sunrise are the two best times to be there because it brings out the colors of the playa. Otherwise it's fairly blah.

Here are a couple of my images from 2009. Not the best images of the Racetrack, but good luck getting anything close to this now.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:22 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,241,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
MrsM and I are going to spend a week in Las Vegas in November. We have taken several Death Valley trips in the past but have never been to the Race Track. (Super high temps have prevented it in the past) If Nov weather is mild, we want to go.

Is the Race Trip a possible (Long) day trip from LV? If we go, it will the 1st morning of our vacation. We will still be on EST.

Let me know if you think this will work

Thanks
It's doable, but it would be a long day.

Las Vegas to Furnace Creek (the park HQ) is just over two hours travel time. It's then 35 miles by highway to Ubehebe Crater, and approximately another 25 miles to the Racetrack over gravel road. That gravel road is irregularly maintained. Sometimes, high-clearance will be useful due to loose gravel, rocks, etc., though with care a regular-clearance vehicle can usually negotiate the road (with some luck). It will probably take an hour, anyway. So count on a minimum round-trip that pushes eight hours, not including loiter time at the Racetrack itself - and it could be considerably longer, depending on the condition of Racetrack Valley Road.

The approach from the south via Lippencott Road is completely out of the question - it is very narrow, features sheer dropoffs and periodic washouts. And it's longer, anyway.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
It's doable, but it would be a long day.

Las Vegas to Furnace Creek (the park HQ) is just over two hours travel time. It's then 35 miles by highway to Ubehebe Crater,
It's quicker to take 95N all the way to Beatty and then pick up 267 towards Scotty's Castle. Even that way is over nine hours roundtrip. Personally, I don't consider that a particularly long day but it probably is for some folks.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:30 PM

2,926 posts, read 3,930,366 times
We have driven through and visited Scotty's Castle. We have never been off the beaten path though like those mentioned below. Need to be careful out there....................

Bones found in Death Valley might belong to German tourists | Germany | DW.DE | 15.11.2009

Last edited by JBtwinz; 06-09-2014 at 03:44 PM..

Old 06-12-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Sad to say that the Racetrack has been pretty much destroyed by vandals. See the pictures on the Death Valley Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

It's easily doable in one day from Vegas, but it would just kill me to see it defaced like this. I've been there several times in the past and it used to be a pristine, almost spiritual place. However, each subsequent time showed more and more damage from disrespectful people including tire tracks and stolen or moved rocks. It really sucks to walk for 30 minutes and get to a rock trail, but the rock is missing. Or vice versa.

If you do decide to do it, a high-clearance vehicle is recommended, preferably with two spare tires. LOTs of people have flats from hitting rocks on the long dirt road leading in, and sometimes even two flats can happen. Road service out there will cost you will north of $1K from what I understand. Sunset and sunrise are the two best times to be there because it brings out the colors of the playa. Otherwise it's fairly blah.

Here are a couple of my images from 2009. Not the best images of the Racetrack, but good luck getting anything close to this now.

Great images. But the vandalism is sickening

Old 06-12-2014, 11:10 AM

Here's a good article on the topic. Is Visiting the Racetrack Playa in Death Valley Worth It?

Old 06-13-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
So sad. We will be going to Death Valley but not The Race Track. Thanks

Old 06-17-2014, 08:53 AM

Here's a cautionary tale of how not to get to the Racetrack. Stranded in Death Valley: Part I of III | davidsworld.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or