U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 12:26 PM
Q44

895 posts, read 758,255 times

Advertisements

When I went to buy my first camera back in the 70's I assumed I'd be bringing home a Nikon. Did all my research and finally went to buy it. Held it in my hands, put it up to my eye (left eye dominant), and it wasn't for me. Tried my first Canon (EF) and I've been using Canon since.

. . . still gotta test drive 'em to see which feels right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 01:33 PM

9,745 posts, read 14,117,258 times
Pretty much any of the name brand cameras will be pretty good after a certain price point. I'm a Fujifilm fan now but I've owned three Canon DSLRs (all excellent), a mid-range Olympus point & shoot (not bad considering the price and how long ago that was), and a low-end Nikon point & shoot (not great, but it was only $100 so acceptable for the price). Considering what you want to do with your next camera, it sounds like you should definitely look at DSLRs or some mirrorless cameras. Some higher end point & shoots might work for you reasonably well (like the SONY RX100), but considering your school major and minor you'll probably really come to appreciate all the things you can do with a good interchangeable lens camera.

I just jumped on the mirrorless bandwagon myself. You can spend a lot of money on new lenses, but I got a decent body for $305 on Ebay, then with a $15 adapter I can use my old Canon FD manual focus lenses with my new camera. You can find nice old lenses all day at antique and junk stores for dirt cheap. I went with the Canon FD adapter mainly because I already had several of these lenses, but also because they're a dime a dozen and some of them are quite nice. Manually focusing can be a bit of challenge with my bad eyesight, but for the amount of money I spent I'm not complaining. Eventually I'll probably buy a couple of Fuji lenses, but these work great for now.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:28 PM
LLN

4,976 posts, read 8,702,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If you have friends that you can borrow lenses or flashes from that is probably a bigger factor than what you see along the sidelines of an NFL or MLB game.
DING, DING, DING...This is the winner! Plus when they upgrade, you might pick up some good, still usable stuff, on the cheap!

Old 06-21-2014, 05:44 PM

241 posts, read 311,103 times
I have had several Nikon cameras and loved them all. (Had a gallery at one time so wanted something professional). Thought for the HD camcorder I would try Canon just for something different. The actual movies are OK, but I am not liking so much the feel of using it. Just personal opinion.

Both Canon and Nikon are great. If you have Nikon lens you should stay with Nikon.

B & H photography in NYC is where many professionals get equipment.
I have bought used stuff from them and have been very happy.
You might check with them to see whether they have something great used.
If there is any place that I trust the ratings of it is B & H.

Good luck and enjoy !

Old 06-21-2014, 05:48 PM

241 posts, read 311,103 times
This man has some good articles:

KenRockwell.com: Photography, Cameras and Taking Better Pictures

Old 06-21-2014, 07:07 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,033,584 times
Go to Best Buy or a camera store. Pick up every camera, play with them, chances are you"ll find one that "fits."

Old 06-21-2014, 08:00 PM

819 posts, read 1,004,466 times
I was already well down the Canon road before I heard this, and I don't know if it's true or not, but someone told me Nikon's image stabilization is done in the body while Canon's is of course done in the lens, and it results in those who need several lenses to do their work end up spending more overall because the lenses cost more with stabilization.

If I were starting over, I'd definitely look into it so that's the only reason I mention it; could be BS.

I have a Canon 5D3 so it's above the price range you were looking for OP. I had a 60D before it though and that would fall into what you were looking to spend; I liked the rear controls on it a lot more than the other Canons in that price range because you've got your index finger dial on top and a second dial on the back, so it's very easy to quickly change f-stop and speed without digging into menus or point+click. If you're not doing video, I think the 60D is an excellent value now in a crop sensor.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:07 PM

16,563 posts, read 28,614,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I have a Nikon -- it isn't my favorite camera, but it's the one that gets the most use. The only reason I shoot Nikon is that the end user can put damned near any Nikkor lens ever made onto today's digital Nikon. Sometimes it doesn't make much sense to do so. But it's USUALLY an option.

Not so with Canon. They threw all their AE-1, T-70 and T-90 users (and all the ones before that, too) under the bus when they introduced the EOS line of AF cameras.

My reasoning is that when the "next big thing" comes out, Nikon will implement it in such a way that my existing system will still have some use. And Canon will make sure that I have to replace every single piece of equipment so that they can wring more money out of me. They already did it once in my life. No reason why they won't do it again.

That being said, my favorite camera is made by Leica. But I only shoot black and white film with that.
Good points, but I doubt that Canon will do that again, since there is no need for it. Canon decided to have in-lens image stabilization, while Nikon started with stabilization in-camera (then switched to in-lens stabilization just like Canon). While it's true that Canon EF lens users were left in the dust, it was a good move. Otherwise EF lenses, which can be used on both cropped and FF cameras, would not exist today.

Besides that, with an adapter you can use any manual lens out there with Canon cameras, and so with Nikon. Right here in this forum there are a few of us using Canon and Nikon cameras with manual lenses. I use a Nikkor AIS 50mm f/1.4 manual lens on two of my Canon cameras, while at least one person in this forums uses several manual lenses on his camera (I believe it's not a Canon nor Nikon camera).

The new Sony A7-series can be used with Canon lenses (an adapter is needed), but I have no idea if they can be used with Nikon lenses.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:16 PM

28,427 posts, read 70,662,530 times
Default Nope, Nikon's VR is in-lens just like Canon's IS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbound View Post
I was already well down the Canon road before I heard this, and I don't know if it's true or not, but someone told me Nikon's image stabilization is done in the body while Canon's is of course done in the lens, and it results in those who need several lenses to do their work end up spending more overall because the lenses cost more with stabilization.

If I were starting over, I'd definitely look into it so that's the only reason I mention it; could be BS.

I have a Canon 5D3 so it's above the price range you were looking for OP. I had a 60D before it though and that would fall into what you were looking to spend; I liked the rear controls on it a lot more than the other Canons in that price range because you've got your index finger dial on top and a second dial on the back, so it's very easy to quickly change f-stop and speed without digging into menus or point+click. If you're not doing video, I think the 60D is an excellent value now in a crop sensor.
The offerings from Sony, Pentax and Olympus utilize "camera body" stabilization system -- Image Stabilization Digital SLR Cameras

Old 06-21-2014, 09:04 PM

31,777 posts, read 24,799,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbound View Post
Among SLR mounts:
Canon (EF/EF-S mount): Optical Stabilization
Nikon (F-mount): Optical Stabilization
Sony (A-mount): In-Body Stabilization
Pentax (K-mount): In-Body Stabilization

Mirror-less mounts:
Sony E, Fuji X, Samsung NX, Canon EOS-M, Nikon 1, Pentax Q, Panasonic m43 (one-exception): Optical Stabilization
Olympus m43: In-Body Stabilization
Panasonic GX-7 (m43): In-Body Stabilization

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The new Sony A7-series can be used with Canon lenses (an adapter is needed), but I have no idea if they can be used with Nikon lenses.
Sony E-mount cameras (a7/a7r/a7s are FF, a3000, a5000, a6000 and previously NEX-series are APS-C), can use lenses from just about any mount. The most popular lens mount appears to be Canon FD, Minolta MD, Canon EF, Contax G and Leica M, but also Nikon F, Contax Yashica and Pentax K (and others). I had a Canon FD and a Nikon F lens for use on my NEX-6 until recently (sold them to make room for some other lenses).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or