Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 09:05 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times

Advertisements

So it happened.. had my camera on my tripod about to take a portrait, saw my daughter chasing the dog.. In what can only be described as slow motion I screamed noooooooo, hand outstretched as she turned in time to run face first into the whole set up.. Camera went to the left, flash, lens and half the top to the right....So yeah.. here I am...sad , alone and utterly lost..Camera wouldn't even turn on

I want a really good quality camera...willing to go up to probably $1000 and a bit more if I was wowed .. My sister has a Nikon DSLR D5100.. Its nice and def a consideration! Now though I've seen some commericals with some nice Cannon cameras (the new one with slow mo type video and nice pics) .... What do I choose.. I've heard NIKON is preferred by professionals but I don't know how much weight is behind that. I am starting school this year and will be majoring in Cinematography and minor in photography (motion picture). I really enjoy black and white, motion and I want to try more night photography and play with slow shutter speeds. So what would be some recommendations for now, to get me some nice quality pictures until I'm going to probably have to have to take out a loan for the camera required after college lol.

I was previously shooting with a Cannon EZ something or another (maybe like a $200 camera tops).. it wasn't what I would consider a professional camera, quality was okay but I couldn't really get decent macro or long shots and the lens wasn't detachable. I could do some slow shutter stuff but wasn't about to get any decent night photography at all. I don't want that to be a reason to not buy a more higher quality cannon however if they are decent

Last edited by Sweetbottoms; 06-20-2014 at 09:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 09:40 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Chevrolet or Ford, take your pick. That's about the gist of it. Type the subject of your thread into a Google search and you'll find more reading material arguing both sides of the argument than you will ever find time to read. No sense in rehashing all those silly arguments here because there's no single answer to the question.

Oh, and about this notion that you heard that "professionals" prefer Nikon... Ever watched a pro football game, professional tennis match or the Olympics and perhaps seen a shot of the professional sports photographers all lined up with those enormous white lenses? Those are Canon shooters. The Nikon long lenses are black. Count them and let us know which you see more of.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:44 AM

2,394 posts, read 5,000,636 times
You should also consider Sony, I'm a recent convert from Nikon. The newer mirrorless cameras are pretty nice in both APS-C (Sony A6000, NEX-7, etc.) and Full Frame (Sony a7 series)

Old 06-20-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Chevrolet or Ford, take your pick. That's about the gist of it. Type the subject of your thread into a Google search and you'll find more reading material arguing both sides of the argument than you will ever find time to read. No sense in rehashing all those silly arguments here because there's no single answer to the question.

Oh, and about this notion that you heard that "professionals" prefer Nikon... Ever watched a pro football game, professional tennis match or the Olympics and perhaps seen a shot of the professional sports photographers all lined up with those enormous white lenses? Those are Canon shooters. The Nikon long lenses are black. Count them and let us know which you see more of.
Thanks, like I said I wasn't sure how much weight was behind it. It is nice to hear from experience though, I'm sure some have tried out both.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
You should also consider Sony, I'm a recent convert from Nikon. The newer mirrorless cameras are pretty nice in both APS-C (Sony A6000, NEX-7, etc.) and Full Frame (Sony a7 series)
Oh I didn't even think about them thank you

Old 06-20-2014, 11:02 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,727,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Chevrolet or Ford, take your pick. That's about the gist of it.

I couldn't agree more with this. I just bought a Nikon D3200 and love it! It wasn't the name that sold me, it just felt right in my hands...

Old 06-20-2014, 11:27 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,850,289 times
"Cannon"?

Old 06-20-2014, 12:02 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
For the record, the camera is spelled "Canon".

You won't go wrong with either. I started with Nikons in my 30's (30 years ago) and ended up with so many lenses that I've pretty much had to buy Nikons ever since. There was no eBay back then! But I've been very pleased with my photo gear...it's dependable and almost impossible to kill.

Back in college I had a Leica rangefinder, which was stolen. I didn't cry, as Leitz lenses were superb but way beyond my budget. When I got my first Nikon, I was able to get a wide-angle and a tele lens for it, something that was unthinkable while I was using the Leica. And all along the way, as I moved into digital, I stayed with Nikon because they all took the same lenses.

I think that Canon is a camera of similar quality. It wasn't always that way; but then, when I had my Leica, Nikons seemed to be junk to me. Times change, so do cameras. Good luck with your choice!

Old 06-20-2014, 12:05 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,912 times
Nikons tend to have more saturated colors....which is great....unless you're shooting with strobes.

I have both, and loved my Nikons more.

That being said, having a good lense makes all the difference in the quality of photos you will get. Buy the most expensive lens you can afford, and do some research to see which one you will find most useful (primes vs. zooms, depends on what you want to photograph).

Also learn your way around photoshop.

Having an expensive camera does not make one a better photographer, anymore than having a great kitchen makes one a better chef.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:09 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,622,182 times
I've always used Nikons, but my aunt LOVES Canon! They don't seem too different, so it's like someone said: Ford or Chevy?! Though, for a class I bought a Nikon D3100 and that was my first time using DSLR cameras and oh man, I would never go back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography