Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 06:19 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times

Advertisements

I learned photography on an XD 11, it's a great camera, though I don't know how readily available lenses are for it. Mine was my dad's old camera and he already had a bunch of lenses with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 06:41 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,620,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I learned photography on an XD 11, it's a great camera, though I don't know how readily available lenses are for it. Mine was my dad's old camera and he already had a bunch of lenses with it.
Hmmm... it looks like it comes with a lens. I'm alright with just one lens since I'm still learning.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:55 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Minolta ST101 in the film days, and later a Nikon F3. Now I use Canon cameras and lenses, plus a couple of Tokina FF and cropped-sensor lenses.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:52 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Hmmm... it looks like it comes with a lens. I'm alright with just one lens since I'm still learning.
Most MD lenses are relatively inexpensive, especially those produced in high volume. Some lenses have gone up in prices due to increased demand from mirrorless ILC buyers but good deals are still to be had. Even zoom lenses. Minolta MD 35-70/3.5, for example is an excellent lens, said to be adopted by Leica for its own cameras. Minolta's highly regarded "beercan" (70-210/4, a lens I have in A-mount) can also be found.

Some lenses like 58mm f/1.2 have gotten expensive while 58/1.4 is inexpensive. Likewise, 85mm. A 135/2.8 can be found cheaply (and is quite good), while 100/2 goes for quite a bit more. So, you will have plenty of choices.

You can also shop for third party lenses which can be quite good. I had Soligor 24mm f/2.8 for wide angle use (Minolta MD mount, a lens made by Tokina).

Old 06-30-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Most MD lenses are relatively inexpensive, especially those produced in high volume. Some lenses have gone up in prices due to increased demand from mirrorless ILC buyers but good deals are still to be had. Even zoom lenses. Minolta MD 35-70/3.5, for example is an excellent lens, said to be adopted by Leica for its own cameras. Minolta's highly regarded "beercan" (70-210/4, a lens I have in A-mount) can also be found.

Some lenses like 58mm f/1.2 have gotten expensive while 58/1.4 is inexpensive. Likewise, 85mm. A 135/2.8 can be found cheaply (and is quite good), while 100/2 goes for quite a bit more. So, you will have plenty of choices.

You can also shop for third party lenses which can be quite good. I had Soligor 24mm f/2.8 for wide angle use (Minolta MD mount, a lens made by Tokina).
Thank you. I know this is off subject, but have to ever had experience with Amazon.com : Fujifilm Instax Mini 8 Instant Film Camera (Pink) : Polaroid Camera : Electronics? I am just comparing. I have an interview with a summer job tomorrow and I guess I'm just comparing things for when I move to the Detroit metro area.

Old 07-03-2014, 03:34 PM

537 posts, read 1,242,844 times
Quote:
Thank you. I know this is off subject, but have to ever had experience with Amazon.com : Fujifilm Instax Mini 8 Instant Film Camera (Pink) : Polaroid Camera : Electronics? I am just comparing. I have an interview with a summer job tomorrow and I guess I'm just comparing things for when I move to the Detroit metro area.
I have the Fujifilm Instax 210, which is just a wider version of the Instax Mini 8. For instant photography, it's cheap (less than $1 a frame), but it is expensive if you're trying to be on the frugal side of film photography. I don't use my camera as much anymore, because I get frustrated by the lack of controls. You can't turn off flash, change the shutter speed and while there's a "close up" lens for the camera, it's not very easy to use. However, I love instant photography and always encourage people to give it a try (especially peel apart film). The Fujifilm Instax cameras are better as side cameras along with a good 35mm camera. At around $10.00 for 10 shots versus $4-5 for 36 shots, it's nice to have a mixture of both.

I really love Minolta cameras. I own an SRT-201 and X-700, and they are both very solid cameras. The 50mm 1.7 lens is fast and the bokeh is very dreamy/beautiful. You just really can't go wrong with one of their SLRs.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkwithwords View Post
I have the Fujifilm Instax 210, which is just a wider version of the Instax Mini 8. For instant photography, it's cheap (less than $1 a frame), but it is expensive if you're trying to be on the frugal side of film photography. I don't use my camera as much anymore, because I get frustrated by the lack of controls. You can't turn off flash, change the shutter speed and while there's a "close up" lens for the camera, it's not very easy to use. However, I love instant photography and always encourage people to give it a try (especially peel apart film). The Fujifilm Instax cameras are better as side cameras along with a good 35mm camera. At around $10.00 for 10 shots versus $4-5 for 36 shots, it's nice to have a mixture of both.

I really love Minolta cameras. I own an SRT-201 and X-700, and they are both very solid cameras. The 50mm 1.7 lens is fast and the bokeh is very dreamy/beautiful. You just really can't go wrong with one of their SLRs.
Aww. Yeah, I'm going to be moving to Detroit once I get a job or a house and I want to invest in a film camera just to take shots of my new life. I mean I still have my DSLR and bridge cameras, but I just love working with film as well. I think once I figure out moving costs, I'll invest. Thank you.

Also, the film for my dad's camera (Olympus SLR) came in today! Tomorrow is my birthday and I'll be taking pictures with both film and digital.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:41 PM

537 posts, read 1,242,844 times
Quote:
Aww. Yeah, I'm going to be moving to Detroit once I get a job or a house and I want to invest in a film camera just to take shots of my new life. I mean I still have my DSLR and bridge cameras, but I just love working with film as well. I think once I figure out moving costs, I'll invest. Thank you.

Also, the film for my dad's camera (Olympus SLR) came in today! Tomorrow is my birthday and I'll be taking pictures with both film and digital.
Happy early birthday! I hope you enjoy shooting with the camera and can't wait to see the images!

Old 07-03-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkwithwords View Post
Happy early birthday! I hope you enjoy shooting with the camera and can't wait to see the images!
Thank you! I forgot to call Costco today to see if they still develop black and white film. I hope they or Walgreens still does! This is when I miss being a photography student. I had access to a lab.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:30 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
It's odd how something like this will pop up. I buy SLR's still on occasion at flea markets.

I bought a Minolta X-700, Minolta XE-7, Minolta SRT101 and a QTsi this weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography