U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2014, 10:19 AM

2,457 posts, read 3,002,305 times

Advertisements

I'd like a smaller camera for hiking and biking. Because of the incredible NEX photos posted here I'm going to give the NEX lineup a serious look. Ideally I'd take just one lens most of the time. Of course, the holy grail is a small tack sharp 10mm to 200mm zoom but I know that is wishful thinking. What's your most used lens when outdoors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 10:30 AM

31,777 posts, read 24,819,613 times
On NEX, I usually keep 35mm f/1.8 OSS. Also have 20mm f/2.8 which is a pancake lens (and it conveniently goes into a pocket for occasions I might need to go wider). Occasionally, I will have a 50mm lens (in my case, they are from different mounts: a Minolta AF 50/1.4, a Canon 50/1.4 Leica Mount lens and a Contax Zeiss 50/1.7 Planar). Then there is Rokinon 8mm f/2.8, also very small and an excellent lens (Rokinon has recently introduced a similarly sized 12mm f/2 ultra wide as well). Any combination of these typically goes depending on the occasion.

If you value ultra wide zoom, I would highly recommend Sony 10-18/4 OSS. It is small and light (225g or 1/2 lb) and very good, combined with 35/1.8, you are good for a wide range.

For a single zoom lens solution, my personal favorite is 16-70/4 OSS, also quite small and light (308g) with a very versatile range (24-105mm FF equiv at constant f/4). But a cheaper option would be Sony 18-105/4 (this is a power zoom, bigger also by virtue of being an internal zoom).

The lowest cost option is the kit zoom, also the smallest (almost pancake): 16-50 PZ. Many like it, I skipped it (I prefer faster lenses than the typical kit zooms).

There are a lot of ways to furnish lens lineups with Sony E-mount. I also use Sony A-mount lenses extensively with my NEX (usually as backup body or for action/sports or closeups/macros with longer lenses).

I also happen to have a "SpeedBooster" (also Sony A-mount to E-mount). It provides two benefits: widens the FOV to nearly match FF FOV (so, compensates for crop factor) and also "brightens" the lens by a stop. For example, Minolta 50/1.4 lens works like a 35mm f/1 lens via the speedbooster. In fact, I used that combination to take some family portraits at Carlsbad Caverns in available light (I tend to avoid direct flash) and there wasn't much of it (scene brightness value was -5EV).

So, options abound. I also have Gariz Half Case and "Gunshot" accessory that allows the camera to hang similar to a sling and be available to shootvia sliding along the neckstrap. I like this solution especially with my "normal" setup (NEX-6 w/35mm, a combi that weighs only about 1 lb).

Last edited by EinsteinsGhost; 07-17-2014 at 10:43 AM..

Old 07-17-2014, 10:50 AM

31,777 posts, read 24,819,613 times
BTW, Sony is no longer using te acronym NEX (New E-mount eXperiment). When launched in 2010, Sony had two NEX lines, "Alpha NEX" (Alpha is Sony's interchangeable lens camera division, that includes DSLR and now SLT cameras as well). The second line was NEX video cameras.

So, when Sony Alpha NEX-6 was replaced, the replacement was called Alpha 6000 (or a6000 in short), to align with rest of the Alpha lineup. As of now:
Sony ax: Full Frame E-mount cameras
Sony axx: APSc and Full Frame A-mount cameras (Previously DSLRs, now SLT).
Sony axxxx: APSc E-mount cameras (previously Alpha NEX cameras)

Old 07-17-2014, 11:57 AM

2,457 posts, read 3,002,305 times
^^ thanks for that, I was wondering where the a6000 fit in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography