U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2014, 03:12 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,038,709 times

Advertisements

I have GAS.

Not that sort of gas, but Gear Acquisition Syndrome. Yes, and it's bad. GAS was originally coined in 1996 by a guitarist who absolutely loved to collect guitars. A lot of them. He didn't need them, but he enjoyed the process of acquiring them, playing them, looking at them and overall, simply enjoying them. In the world of photography, GAS is a serious issue for many hobbyists and professional photographers. Cameras are in a way, works of art. Not only do they look attractive, the tactile feel of a metal wrapped photography tool is wonderful to hold. In my circle of photographers, I would say half of them don't care much about the camera they use, and focus more on producing great images. The other half may or may not care so much about the image, as much as they care about the camera they are holding. I am half and half. I love producing the best images I am able to, but at the same time, I am equally enjoying the camera that is taking the pictures. I love cameras. Both film and digital. I would own all of them, if I could. I've been this way since as was a teen, many years ago.

So, I'm starting this thread so that those of you who also have GAS, may show and tell your newly 'acquired' camera. Tell us a little something about it, and maybe even brag about it. I know I will.

And so, here is my first submission. My newly acquired Ricoh GR1v 35mm film camera. A 'boutique', point-and-shoot compact camera with a cult following that is perhaps the largest among point-and-shoot film lovers. The manual controls are legendary, the body made of die-cast magnesium alloy and a 28mm F2.8 multi-coated lens that would send most modern day cameras crying to their mommies. I've been wanting this camera since 2001, and finally stumbled on one during my lunch break today. Sitting in a dusty corner at the local camera shop, and selling MUCH less than what they are demanding on ebay. So, I bought it. Yes, today was my lucky day, and everything so far checks out great on the camera. I'll be posting photos taken by this little gem very soon. Enjoy!

Please share YOUR recent (or not so recent) camera acquisitions. Cameras, lenses, filters, accessories, etc.. Show us your GAS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 11:13 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,604,767 times
This.

I love film too. I've got a nikon f100. My mom has an old Ricoh my grandma owned and I keep meaning to take it but forget. One of these days!

Old 08-13-2014, 08:45 AM

Nice! The f100 was my dream dslr for years. Then digital came out shortly after Funny thing is that you can literally grab the f100 for about $100 in mint condition. Just crazy. It can still produce some wonderful shots with the amazing tonality that film has.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:45 PM

9,745 posts, read 14,109,383 times
Fortunately I have no money, which makes G.A.S. less of an issue for me.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:26 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,291,561 times
I have more GLS (Gear Looking Syndrome) at the moment for stuff I can't afford.

I'm waiting for Photokina to see what full frame E-mount lenses Sony announces. Would really love the Zeiss 35 f2.8, 55 1.8 and a hopefully to be announced 24 f2 or similar.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:29 PM

520 posts, read 539,924 times
finished my holy trinity not too long ago:

Old 08-15-2014, 01:43 PM

That's some fine Nikkor glass!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or