U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 09:35 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,011,331 times

Advertisements

It is impossible for someone to invade your privacy when you are in public because when in public there is no privacy. They are quite literally opposites!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 01:15 AM

26,160 posts, read 15,311,024 times
Thats sort of true but we still do not want to be invaded by those on facebook,etc.......

Old 09-07-2014, 01:46 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,366,290 times
Abide by the laws and just take as many photos as you like. Capture that perfect moment. The sun striking the face, the moon sparkling in that watery eye, or the silhouette of a sundress at dawn. When you find beauty in public, do the world a favor and capture it. And by all means, share it. Beauty and art is meant to be shared (on here, reddit, facebook, flickr, whatever).

Use common sense and respect people's right to privacy. Don't take pictures through windows, in bathrooms and/or dressing rooms, etc.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:57 AM

25,249 posts, read 41,276,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intothelight View Post
Thanks for everybody's comments. Well, these pictures in my mind sort of prove my point.
You made no point. You proved no point. Photographs taken by different people of different people in different points of time in different situations...

Old 09-07-2014, 08:11 PM

834 posts, read 1,794,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intothelight View Post
So I am a bit of a lone wolf. Weird or not - I guess just who I am for now. But I love to take pictures. Where do you go to take photos where people won't look at you like you like you want to kill you when you pull out your camera? Sporting events I guess they just sort of have to accept it. Landscapes not a problem. Any ideas?

What about when the weather turns bad?

Thoughts are greatly appreciated.
I have tens of thousands of people pix.

never, not even once have I asked, or, heard a protest.

some may give you the stink eye......

or, the side eye...........

or, the you lookin at me eye........

the take my picture eye.....

the yes my lips are red eye.....

the I been drinkin at ten in the mornin eye.....

the I'm lookin over there while I snap this pic eye......

the brown eye.......

the let's go fishin I got the tackle eye.....

the wanna get high eye.....

the I see you snappin me eye.....

the I got a tongue eye....

etc etc etc

Old 09-10-2014, 10:19 PM

37,775 posts, read 55,496,757 times
^^^Excellent pictures, and exactly what I think. Most people don't mind, and there is no way to get the perfect expression after asking for permission to take a pix.
Public places are public, and no one should expect any privacy there. Everyone is seen by everyone. There are city and business cameras in use. And yes - people are taking pictures. Absolutely nothing wrong with it.

There are places and events where taking pictures is restricted. But this request is always posted or announced.
Restrictions on Photographing Sports Events
Recording in Public Places and Your First Amendment Rights | Videomaker.com
Legality of recording by civilians - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You should know the laws and your rights.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:57 AM

4,390 posts, read 4,212,683 times
7 Rules for Recording Police

Old 09-11-2014, 01:47 PM

31,777 posts, read 24,851,325 times
It depends on the occasion. I will approach people for permission if I want specific shots with them being primary subject. On other occasions (public events like a sporting event/protest/float (some kind of exhibition) participants), I don't see a need to:

On some occasions, the person may be aware of you being a photographer (at an event) and be okay with it, as in this case:

Then there are occasions where a person or more may simply be a part of the scene (the scene being the subject rather than the person), and in that case, I would not worry too much and simply shoot:

Old 09-17-2014, 12:31 AM

15,264 posts, read 12,523,140 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or