Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 11:48 PM

111 posts, read 206,478 times

Advertisements

So I am a bit of a lone wolf. Weird or not - I guess just who I am for now. But I love to take pictures. Where do you go to take photos where people won't look at you like you like you want to kill you when you pull out your camera? Sporting events I guess they just sort of have to accept it. Landscapes not a problem. Any ideas?

What about when the weather turns bad?

Thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 11:54 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,059,480 times
A lot of people do not want anyone to take a photograph of them, it is generally best to ask before doing so.

Sporting events should be photos of those involved in the activity itself not the crowd.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:16 AM

2,542 posts, read 3,985,496 times
Sounds like you are interested in "street photography". Pretty much any public place where people go can make for an interesting photo session.

With regards to the comment above on sporting events - I usually take pics of the crowd at any event I attend because I want to capture the vibe and the crowd is a huge part of that.

Here's a good intro article -

Street Photography guide from Photo.net

This article discusses some of the legal issues with shooting people -

street photography and the law: 7 things you need to know | Clickin MomsClickin Moms

Asking for permission is more "street portraiture" than "street photography" -

5 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Ask For Permission When Shooting Street Photography

What Street Photographers Actually Do

Old 09-02-2014, 04:29 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,592,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intothelight View Post
So I am a bit of a lone wolf. Weird or not - I guess just who I am for now. But I love to take pictures. Where do you go to take photos where people won't look at you like you like you want to kill you when you pull out your camera?
Go to different events:

Car Show. There are more things than just cars:

An event (Fire and Ice Winter Festival):

Celtic Festival:

A Founders Day Fiesta:

Quote:
Sporting events I guess they just sort of have to accept it.
I don't go to many sporting events. Getting in, getting out, the cost. I like state fairs, city events, downtown etc.

Quote:
What about when the weather turns bad?
Consider that before you go. Since I didn't wait in line to pay to get in, nothing lost. Or take rain gear...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 09-02-2014 at 09:49 PM..

Old 09-02-2014, 05:11 PM

61,392 posts, read 86,312,362 times
The laws are described here:
Commons:Country specific consent requirements - Wikimedia Commons

Taking pix when the weather turns bad - that's up to you. You might WANT to take pix while raining, snowing, wind or thunder.
I love when light really gets dramatic and the skies might open up with shafts of sunlight, and dramatic clouds, giving me the opportunity to create photos with emotion and energy. They add texture and dimension to photographs.
Just make sure that your camera is weather protected.
Protecting your camera in bad weather - photo.net

Old 09-02-2014, 07:37 PM

4,436 posts, read 4,853,450 times
You can go to protest and vigils and take all the pictures you want, people want their causes to be known.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:28 PM

111 posts, read 206,478 times
Thanks for everybody's comments. Well, these pictures in my mind sort of prove my point. The eyes of those people are saying to me that they are pretty angry you're taking a picture of them. Which they certainly have a right to be I guess. It is what it is I suppose. Just have to work around it.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:04 PM

2,542 posts, read 3,985,496 times
Some serious looks in some of those photos but that is not uncommon for sporting events and protests.

Here's a shot I took. Some are smiling some are not, but I don't think it has much to do with the camera.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:43 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,743,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intothelight
So I am a bit of a lone wolf. Weird or not - I guess just who I am for now. But I love to take pictures. Where do you go to take photos where people won't look at you like you like you want to kill you when you pull out your camera?
Well @ least YOU DONT HAVE AN AGENDA for taking just ANYONES PICTURE!

Old 09-06-2014, 09:12 PM

17,378 posts, read 13,154,086 times
Unless it is a public event, I never take pictures of anyone without asking first

Legal or not, it doesn't matter to me. I don't want my privacy invaded, so I won't invade anyone else's space
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography