U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 02:26 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,085,661 times

Advertisements

I have only been taking digital photographs since January 2014, and only shot film before that
with the occasional send off to be processed cheap film cameras you could buy off a rack at your local 7/11 convenience store. But I had a great uncle that used to be a well known professional
photographer who I used to listen to when he discussed different film types with his friends and
how they would say film A was better than film B but not as good as film C as far as vividness
warmth and range of colors could be amongst all the different types of film available back then.
I was maybe 10 years old then, so what I understood was very limited and probably not remembered
too well. MY Question is: As far as SDHC cards go there's Sony, SanDisc, PYN, Lexar, Transcend
and probably a dozen others I've never heard of. Is the same thing true of different SDHC cards
as what they said of different types of film stock. Does one capture more vivid colors than all the
others. I have a SanDisc Extreme 4GB class 6 card that I ran out and bought after I received my
slightly used digital camera for my 60th birthday. It's just about full of photos I have taken and
it's time to get a replacement SDHC card so I am wondering what to get. Do I get the same card
or do I upgrade to a faster more colorful card? Thanks for any help you offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 02:53 AM

1,872 posts, read 5,781,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judeK View Post
Does one capture more vivid colors than all the
others. I have a SanDisc Extreme 4GB class 6 card that I ran out and bought after I received my
slightly used digital camera for my 60th birthday. It's just about full of photos I have taken and
it's time to get a replacement SDHC card so I am wondering what to get. Do I get the same card
or do I upgrade to a faster more colorful card? Thanks for any help you offer.
The type of card has no impact on the quality of the picture. Some cards (e.g. name brands like SanDisk) may be more reliable than others (no-name brands). And different cards have different data read/write speeds, which determines how quickly a picture is "written" onto the card; but you're unlikely to see much difference in most everyday shooting.

However, the main question I have is regarding the part I've bolded above. Why do you need to get a replacement card? You know that you can just move the pictures off your current card onto your computer, thus leaving the card empty for more shooting, right?

Old 09-05-2014, 03:05 AM

71,044 posts, read 71,360,005 times
most card guts are identical as very few companies really make them ,they just market them. some have durable cases put around the guts and some offer better warranties.

card speed can be important though and that is a big difference if your require fast successive shots as well as transfering big files to the computor like my d800 files.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:11 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,085,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
However, the main question I have is regarding the part I've bolded above. Why do you need to get a replacement card? You know that you can just move the pictures off your current card onto your computer, thus leaving the card empty for more shooting, right?
Yes I know they can be saved to my computer or even erased. But my wife wants me to save them on the SDHC so she can take it/them to show her family on her laptop, when we visit them in Kentucky.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:29 AM

1,960 posts, read 1,365,115 times
Quote:
Yes I know they can be saved to my computer or even erased. But my wife wants me to save them on the SDHC so she can take it/them to show her family on her laptop, when we visit them in Kentucky.

Cards have become so inexpensive now that I also keep them as backup. A fairly good 16GB class 10 card for everyday photography only costs $12.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:12 AM

31,777 posts, read 24,848,937 times
I carry four cards between two cameras (well, not counting my F828 which takes two cards by itself, a compact flash and a memory stick which are now 10+ years old). The four SDHC (actually, SDXC, due to extra capacity) are all from different brands: Sony, Sandisk, Lexar and PNY. They are all at least Class 10 and most of them for 3+ years.

The brand isn't important to me, but the specs are (read and write speed) along with the capacity of course (16-32GB in my case). If I find a slower card that has higher capacity for the same price as a faster card with lower, I go with the latter, regardless of the brand.

This is the same with rechargeable batteries, for example (AA and AAA). I care less for the brand, and more for the charge capacity (2300mAh and up for AA is always welcome).

Old 09-06-2014, 05:22 PM

253 posts, read 304,600 times
Quote:
A better storage device for portable photos to be seen on computer is a flash drive. First off, they are a bit larger and therefor harder to accidentally lose. And you can usually put a strap on them to make them even less likely to lose. Second, you can also sort them into different folders so you don't have to scroll through hundreds of photos to find the one you want. Third, if you want to show them on another person's computer, they may not have a built in card reader so then you'd have to have an additional device in order to show them. Finally, you really should have two backups of any photos you really care about. Ideally, you would back up your photos to a device such as an external hard drive AND have either cloud storage or a back up in another location besides your house, in case of fire, etc. You can do this (cloud storage) on dropbox, or flickr or a number of other online services, some free, some not. And then you would not have to take anything with you to be able to show your photos on any computer.

Last edited by jadedlady; 09-06-2014 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 09-06-2014, 05:25 PM

71,044 posts, read 71,360,005 times
Quote:
Bad move storing on these cards. They can be prone to failure. I just had one of the most reliable cards made fail from RAW STEEL. At one time they proclaimed a zero failure rate.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:00 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,010,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
The brand isn't important to me, but the specs are (read and write speed) along with the capacity of course (16-32GB in my case).
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Bad move storing on these cards. They can be prone to failure.
+1

And that probably includes all flash based storage (e.g. USB drives, SSD, etc...)

Keeping Data For A Long Time - Forbes

Quote:
The JEDEC JESD218A endurance specification states that if flash power off temperature is at 25 degrees C then retention is 101 weeksóthat isnít quite 2 years. So it appears conventional flash memory may not have good media archive life and should only be used for storing transitory data.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:12 PM

9,420 posts, read 17,423,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
most card guts are identical as very few companies really make them ,they just market them. some have durable cases put around the guts and some offer better warranties.
That's not true at all. If it were, then all the cards in a particular class would have identical specs; they don't. Google CF (or SD) card ratings and you'll see they're all different. There are many foundries that produce flash chips. I use Lexar and SanDisk and they have their own foundries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography