Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 02:17 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times

Advertisements

So I somehow lost my DSLR. likely, it fell off our stroller and went unnoticed for about 30 minutes. no one turned one in to lost and found. i can't imagine how it could have been stolen off the stroller, but i guess that's possible.

anyways, i've filed a local police report and can send that to nikon for the serial numbers of the lens and body, but is there any sort of tool out there people know of if i'm able to track if the photos get uploaded somewhere? i know the police will get notified if the serial numbers pop up at a pawn shop or other places, and nikon said they'll know if it appears at a camera shop to be traded in. anything else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 12:31 AM

111 posts, read 207,083 times
Home owners/renters insurance might cover it. Not sure how expensive it was and if it's worth the deductible.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:36 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
but is there any sort of tool out there people know of if i'm able to track if the photos get uploaded somewhere?
There is option in the EXIF data for the serial number of the camera, open up one of your old images to see if it was recorded. You can read it with program like Irfanview.

Looking online I see they have services but I'd be reluctant to use them because success is going to be unlikely.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
There is option in the EXIF data for the serial number of the camera, open up one of your old images to see if it was recorded. You can read it with program like Irfanview.

Looking online I see they have services but I'd be reluctant to use them because success is going to be unlikely.
yeah i've seen those services. i plugged in my serial number to one and it returned nothing. i'm sure i've uploaded some of my pictures online. Facebook mostly though, so maybe that doesn't turn up in the search because it's private and not public.

i lost it at a family oriented place, i'm still pretty amazed no one turned it in. lost a lot of photos. i got lazy and haven't emptied the memory card in a while.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:52 PM

Did you check some old photos to make sure it was being added? I have some pictures from P&S with no serial number, ones from a Canon DSLR had them. I'd imagine most high end cameras will have it added.

You have a lot of things working against you here. Usually it's the GD image library used for manipulation of images on server and it doesn't natively support EXIF. That info is stripped from the image. The second thing is going to be saturation of the search engines, obviously they can't index private images behind a login and there is so many sites.... Many of those sites will even ban such bots. That's why I said success is unlikely.

Since it's family gathering perhaps you can find who took it by obtaining some images in the future.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:17 PM

i'm positive the info is in the photo's metadata, just not sure how/why an individual would ever upload strange pictures from a camera they found. i'm sure it's gone at this point. it's been 6 days, no word from the place.

and it wasn't a family gathering, it was a family-friendly place - a pumpkin patch. i'm surprised no one turned it in.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:22 PM

17,535 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:

i lost it at a family oriented place, i'm still pretty amazed no one turned it in. lost a lot of photos. i got lazy and haven't emptied the memory card in a while.
People steal from anywhere. Family oriented or ghetto, it does not matter

Next time be more careful.

I learned my lesson 3 years ago at The Dayton Air show. We were in a private chalet viewing area. Lost camera and several lenses. Enough to pay for my EOS 5Mlll and another L lens. Thank God, I have my camera and equipment scheduled on my homeowners policy. About $1.25 a hundred dollars

So, all I really lost was an almost full CF Card

Old 10-25-2014, 04:55 AM

Quote:
i'm positive the info is in the photo's metadata, just not sure how/why an individual would ever upload strange pictures from a camera they found.
Not your photos but their own.... Keep checking every month or so. You might get lucky.

Quote:
and it wasn't a family gathering, it was a family-friendly place - a pumpkin patch. i'm surprised no one turned it in.
I lost a SLR camera once that I left on top of my car, there was people looking at us as we drove away and I know for a fact they saw it. I can only guess they followed us down the road and watched it fall off the car so they could pick it up. Worst part about that was the camera was my Grandmothers, a very old Yashica but it had a lot of sentimental value. Plus they were all the pictures I had from Monument Valley that day. Didn't realize it for miles.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:35 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,089,802 times
Big shop nearby takes in used equipment. Perhaps inform them with the serial of your camera.

www.uniquephoto.com

You can call up other shops in the area too...

sandrian
madison photo
summit photo
bergencountycamera

Old 10-25-2014, 07:25 AM

924 posts, read 1,676,004 times
Use a Sharpie or an engraver to put your cell phone number on cameras, sports equipment etc.. When the kids were young, we actually did get things like Gameboys and iPods returned to us only because they had my cell phone number on them.

The phone number makes it more personal. The finder has to choose between being a hero or a thief because you have given them a convenient way to return the item directly to its rightful owner. There is no excuse for pocketing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography