U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 08:16 AM

9,378 posts, read 17,361,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
See if the card is formatted as FAT32 or even check the file sizes. There is a 4GB file limit for FAT32. If it is you'll need to format as NTFS. 4GB for that length is a lot but certainly possible.

Be sure to copy all files off it before doing that.
Good lord no, don't do that. Always format the card in the camera. Yes it's FAT32 and yes it has a 4GB file size limit. That's the reason that there's a 12 minute limit on this camera, because 12 minutes of video creates a 4GB file. A 16GB card will therefore hold some 48 minutes of video.

OP again, TRY A DIFFERENT CARD. This one is likely bad. That being said, I'm not sure I agree with Canon support. The card you're using is still probably fast enough, however it could be defective.

BTW, if you're using a San Disk Extreme III, that card was found to be nowhere near 60GB/s. It's probably LESS than 30GB/s. That's one of the reason I switched to Lexar. I've got no patience for manufacturers who lie about their performance numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 08:26 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,595,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Good lord no, don't do that. Always format the card in the camera. Yes it's FAT32 and yes it has a 4GB file size limit. That's the reason that there's a 12 minute limit on this camera, because 12 minutes of video creates a 4GB file. A 16GB card will therefore hold some 48 minutes of video.

OP again, TRY A DIFFERENT CARD. This one is likely bad. That being said, I'm not sure I agree with Canon support. The card you're using is still probably fast enough, however it could be defective.

BTW, if you're using a San Disk Extreme III, that card was found to be nowhere near 60GB/s. It's probably LESS than 30GB/s. That's one of the reason I switched to Lexar. I've got no patience for manufacturers who lie about their performance numbers.
I always format the card in camera...and don't use Windows...

Ohh, I did not know that about SanDisk. I always used them and haven't had any issues...but i can certainly try a Lexar and see...

OK: 2 new replies from Canon:
"We appreciate your continued correspondence.

What you may have read is the limitation of the camera. After 4GB or 29 minutes 59 seconds, the camera will stop recording. The file size limit is reached most often before the time limit. 4GB of HD video is roughly 12 minutes, so on a 16GB card, you may get approximately 45 minutes of shooting in.

There are many cards out there that are read speed rated to a certain number, but the write speed is not the same. The write speed is the most important thing to look at in a card. What specific card do you have?

We look forward to your reply. Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely"

AND

"We appreciate your continued correspondence.

The card you used should have been more than fast enough. It has a VPG-65 rating, so it should record video at more than 60 MB/s, which is more than enough to get longer clips than 3 minutes. However, we do not test all cards with our cameras, so we cannot guarantee every card will work properly. Not all cards are the same and there may be something wrong with this specific card. The only way to be sure is to try another high speed card in your camera.

In regards to file size and time limitations, the EOS 70D and EOS 5D Mark III also have the same limitations.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance. Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely"

What is your conclusion? I have a Canon 70D with a 64DB + 80UDMA, that I could try to shoot video too to see if it takes more than 3 minutes...besides that I am about 50% convinced to get a better video camera...I don't like my video to be interrupted because I don't want to have hours of post processing to do, and I also want HD quality...so...Your thoughts?

Old 11-12-2014, 08:33 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,595,181 times
...what does the metering timer has to do with video recording?

Old 11-12-2014, 08:36 AM

BTW.... Lighting Mods: Tip: Canon 5D MarkII - Video Locks Up/Freezing (Solution)

Old 11-12-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
What is your conclusion? I have a Canon 70D with a 64DB + 80UDMA, that I could try to shoot video too to see if it takes more than 3 minutes...besides that I am about 50% convinced to get a better video camera...I don't like my video to be interrupted because I don't want to have hours of post processing to do, and I also want HD quality...so...Your thoughts?
The 70D is an awesome camera for video, but then again the 5DII is too. Really the only problem with the 5DII is the manual focus and 12 minute file size. The 70D has a 30 minute limit and auto-focus modes, although since it's a crop sensor the footage isn't as clean as the FF 5DII.

Note that Canon also suggested you have a bad card. Do you only have one? You only need a card as small as 4GB to do this test. Use any card, it doesn't need to be particularly fast. But try it before you do anything else.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:29 PM

8,623 posts, read 6,203,510 times
This explains a lot of stuff.

Understanding Memory Cards - What Digital Camera

Old 11-12-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Wow, a lot of apparently biased and out of date information in that article. Not to mention it's geared more towards SD cards, and not CF which is what the 5DMKII uses.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:00 PM

39,111 posts, read 40,451,870 times
Quote:
Good lord no, don't do that. Always format the card in the camera. Yes it's FAT32 and yes it has a 4GB file size limit. That's the reason that there's a 12 minute limit on this camera, because 12 minutes of video creates a 4GB file.
Frankly I'm surprised such limitations would exist on high end cameras, especially one with such great video capabilities. It really makes no sense.

Quote:
The 70D is an awesome camera for video, but then again the 5DII is too. Really the only problem with the 5DII is the manual focus and 12 minute file size. The 70D has a 30 minute limit and auto-focus modes, although since it's a crop sensor the footage isn't as clean as the FF 5DII
Assuming the 70D uses the same codec and also has the 4GB limitation it's trading quality for bitrate. Compressed video is just like a .jpg, the file size is determined by the bitrate and length. You can lower the bitrate for a smaller file size(or longer video in same time span) but you lose quality.

These camera's don't all have options for different "quality" and resolutions? I'm be surprised at that as well

Last edited by thecoalman; 11-12-2014 at 06:12 PM..

Old 11-12-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Frankly I'm surprised such limitations would exist on high end cameras, especially one with such great video capabilities. It really makes no sense.

Assuming the 70D uses the same codec and also has the 4GB limitation it's trading quality for bitrate. Compressed video is just like a .jpg, the file size is determined by the bitrate and length. You can lower the bitrate for a smaller file size(or longer video in same time span) but you lose quality.

These camera's don't all have options for different "quality" and resolutions? I'm be surprised at that as well
Yeah, well remember the 5DMKII was the first full-frame DSLR to implement video and didn't have any compression options. In fact it was pretty basic, except the image quality blew everything else on the market out of the water in that price range. The newer cameras have IPB and ALL-I compression options, stuff that I don't know anything about, but it lets you record up to 29.99 seconds without losing any quality. Know why they picked 29.99 seconds? It was so Canon could avoid the high tax rates in Europe for video cameras, which is any camera that can record (you guessed it), 30 seconds or more of video.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:53 PM

39,111 posts, read 40,451,870 times
Quote:
The newer cameras have IPB and ALL-I compression options,
The way video compression works is you reuse information from previous or subsequent frames. An I frame is a full frame, all I frames will create the largest file size but the best quality. Think of it as matte you can build on with P and B frames, they only contain information that has changed. P frames only use information from previous frames while B frames will use information form both previous and subsequent frames. IPB is a group of frames or a GOP and it might be something like 15 frames for something like DVD, longer GOP's are used in more modern codecs which is one reason they have smaller file sizes at the same quality.

If you don't have enough bitrate for that information that has changed then you'll gt macroblocks, you'll see this on "HD" over cable and Netflix during scenes if for example there is flickering light, explosions etc. There is simply not enough data to compensate for the rapid changes. Here is a great example. The lights are moving rapidly, the people are not.

Quote:
Know why they picked 29.99 seconds? It was so Canon could avoid the high tax rates in Europe for video cameras, which is any camera that can record (you guessed it), 30 seconds or more of video.
Actually I could of guessed that. Some DV cams have a feature called passthrough. You can hook a VCR or other analog source to them and convert to DV. That can be recorded to tape on the cam or sent over firewire to computer. It's an excellent and very easy way to convert those VHS home movies. In any event the cams shipped to Europe with that feature have it disabled because of that tax. Crazy isn't it to have a tool at your fingerprints you can't use? Completely off topic but that's the same reason no standalone CD players have a record function here and why some CD's are labeled "Audio". One of life's mysteries solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or