U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 11:33 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,623,425 times

Advertisements

Guys...

On my 5DMK2 when recording video it always stops by itself after 3 minutes. Either 3 minutes and 10 seconds, or 3 minutes and 25 seconds etc, but it NEVER records anything passed 3 minutes and a few seconds. Do any of you know why?

I am using SanDisk CompactFlash card, 60MB/s', UDMA, 16GB if that matters at all.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 04:46 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,313,001 times
Are you shooting in HD causing memory card to fill up?
Are there any settings that set a default recording time?

Old 11-11-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Are you shooting in HD causing memory card to fill up?
Are there any settings that set a default recording time?
I have no idea! I don't shot video with my DSLR usually...
I'll have to dig up the manual, but I don't remember having a choice in the size/format I shot video on this camera.

The card has 16GB's that should be more than enough to shoot a 12 minute clip?! Shouldn't it?

Old 11-11-2014, 11:27 PM

9,458 posts, read 17,470,181 times
That's not normal behavior, so something is failing. The video will stop if the sensor overheats. You're not in a super hot environment, are you?

Assuming heat isn't an issue, I would first try a different CF card. If you're using a third-party battery, I would remove it and replace it with a Canon battery. If it's still not working, you might try a different lens, just for completeness. If none of that fixes it, then you'll most likely need to send the camera into Canon for repair.

BTW, does the resulting 3-minute video actually play correctly?

Old 11-12-2014, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
That's not normal behavior, so something is failing. The video will stop if the sensor overheats. You're not in a super hot environment, are you?

Assuming heat isn't an issue, I would first try a different CF card. If you're using a third-party battery, I would remove it and replace it with a Canon battery. If it's still not working, you might try a different lens, just for completeness. If none of that fixes it, then you'll most likely need to send the camera into Canon for repair.

BTW, does the resulting 3-minute video actually play correctly?
The video is awesome; it is crisp, and I further edit it in Final Cut Pro or iMovie without an issue.

I don't use after market anything all my gear is Canon/batteries and all.

I am in Florida, however the first time I tried the video on this DSLR, (I usually record video with a dedicated video camera), was a kids show in 2009, inside, not hot at all. The second time was last week, outside, but it was dry and rather cold, about 60 degree's. I stopped trying after the first time when I missed half that show because of this interruption thing, but I wanted to give it another shot.

I get no error messages. The camera is not hot at all.

This is the response I got from Canon:
"Thank you for contacting Canon product support regarding your EOS 5D Mark II. I understand you are unable to record more than a few minutes at a time. I am happy to assist you.

In order to keep up with the HD video your camera records we recommend a memory card with a write speed of 30MB/second. If the memory card you are using cannot keep up with the information coming in from the camera the buffer will fill and recording will have to stop temporarily.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance. Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,"

My card as I clearly typed in their email is a 60MB, so plenty of buffer there....

Old 11-12-2014, 06:24 AM

39,492 posts, read 40,805,534 times
See if the card is formatted as FAT32 or even check the file sizes. There is a 4GB file limit for FAT32. If it is you'll need to format as NTFS. 4GB for that length is a lot but certainly possible.

Be sure to copy all files off it before doing that.

If it's not formatted as FAT32 my next suggestion would be too try a lower quality setting on the video and see if the problem still exists so you can narrow down what the issue may be.

Last edited by thecoalman; 11-12-2014 at 06:35 AM..

Old 11-12-2014, 06:37 AM

I'm on a Mac and the card was only formatted in camera. The only place I am aware of FAT 32 formatting is on old Windows Machines...XP was NTFS. But I don't use a computer to format my cards, just in camera.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:38 AM

I mean, you could have an XP formatted as FAT32, but it's default was NTFS...

Old 11-12-2014, 06:45 AM

39,492 posts, read 40,805,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post

The card has 16GB's that should be more than enough to shoot a 12 minute clip?! Shouldn't it?
That "depends", high quality 1080P using a compressed format might be around 25Mbps tops which comes out to about 14GB per hour. That's going to balloon dramatically if you are using some kind of uncompressed format.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:55 AM

I did not set any parameters for the video. So it shot at whatever was there already!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or