Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 10:35 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,724,027 times

Advertisements

I've never had problems with weight. Batteries can be an issue, but I never had any issues even when I could have: Pack Safe – Spare lithium metal and lithium ion batteries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 10:26 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,913,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBunny View Post
Which airline are you going to fly with?

I flew to Asia/South East Asia from SFO at least once a year.
Carriers: Eva Airline, Cathay Airline, Singapore Airline, China airline (Taiwan).

From my recent experience with Eva and China Airline, I do notice that they (1) Ask how many carry on you have; (2) If you have a huge bag pack/big bag, it is very likely they will weigh it during check in; (3) they do not (from my experience) check the weight of female's handbag regardless of size.

If you are female, you can purchase Camera handbag and put on your camera gears inside
Sorry, no suggestions for guy.
I'm on Turkish air and Malaysia air. I'm not a female. I don't think the backpack profile is too big. It is carry on size and it will be my only bag. It doesn't look small though.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Case Logic 206 was a backpack I'd purchased three years ago for international travel and it has worked well. It is good size as a carry-on, and has a pocket for laptop (15.6" fits comfortably). The main compartment has partitions, only some of which I keep to make room for non-camera items. As for gear itself, I've typically gone minimalistic, in the past, Sony a55 with 18-250 travel zoom lens and a fast prime (35 or 50). The combined weight of this gear is less than 3 lb.

I have an upcoming trip next month (three countries over three weeks) and I'm debating whether to carry both camera bodies or just one. If I take both, Sony a55 will go with 18-250 as an all-purpose set up (about 2 lb), while Sony NEX-6 will go with three-four primes (8mm for ultra-wide, 20mm for wide angle and 35mm for normal, and a 50mm for portraiture). This second set will be another (only) 2 lb or so. Rest of my carry on stuff is typically minimalistic, and I will probably not carry the laptop anyway (which weighs more than the entire camera gear).

So, what and how you pack may be the key.
Well I don't know what I can jettison. Maybe batteries but often I find batteries are expensive and poor quality overseas. At a minimum I need two bodies. 400mm telephoto. 200 mm macro. 85 mm macro. Flash and bracket. Cords filters etc. Ball head. I'll check the legs and 48 rolls of 35mm film. Plus a flashlight and head lamp. These things I need at least to have a productive trip. I'll put a third body. Some lenses and a second flash in the checked bag as back ups.

Maybe I just need to hope for the best.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:39 AM

This is the bag
http://www.benjaminle.org/storage/fs...=1368553397413

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/65/628865.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography