U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 01:08 PM

705 posts, read 1,427,766 times

Advertisements

An item missing from the list ... know your gear! No two camera bodies, even identical models, behave or capture images exactly the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 01:57 PM

12,578 posts, read 13,251,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggier View Post
An item missing from the list ... know your gear! No two camera bodies, even identical models, behave or capture images exactly the same.
Tip # 101

Old 12-28-2014, 06:11 AM

15,254 posts, read 12,489,714 times
Do your own thing... and dont copy others.... its what you think is beautiful or interesting thats important... I watched a professional photographer on tv taking beginners out on a country walk.. and he handed them all rectangle frames so that they could hold it up to see what they were maybe about to capture, what a load of nonsense I thought...just reading whats being said about the same type of cameras picking up different photos and yes its true.. I bought my second point and shoot, same model, a year apart and the first one too much better indoor shots..than the one I use now... Im a complete amateur but know a nice view or scene..

Old 12-28-2014, 09:26 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,859,352 times
Well, I'm a professional photographer who's been doing this since 1976. Alot of the tips are good, but there are a lot which I don't necessarily agree with. But I would say first off, there's no rule that can't be broken and a good picture made.

Here's the ones I have a problem with 2, 10, 16, 17, 20, 66, 71, 75, 75, 78, 86, and 90. Other than that, I find the list pretty good.

As for a professional discussing iso, depth of field, shutter speeds, etc. That's all technical classroom stuff. I don't think I've ever had a conversation about the above in generalities with another pro photographer. Yes, we've discussed those things in relation to a specific photo, but as a pro, it is assumed that you already know about these things.

Just my .02

Old 12-28-2014, 04:42 PM

1,423 posts, read 2,533,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
Well, I'm a professional photographer who's been doing this since 1976. Alot of the tips are good, but there are a lot which I don't necessarily agree with. But I would say first off, there's no rule that can't be broken and a good picture made.

Here's the ones I have a problem with 2, 10, 16, 17, 20, 66, 71, 75, 75, 78, 86, and 90. Other than that, I find the list pretty good.

As for a professional discussing iso, depth of field, shutter speeds, etc. That's all technical classroom stuff. I don't think I've ever had a conversation about the above in generalities with another pro photographer. Yes, we've discussed those things in relation to a specific photo, but as a pro, it is assumed that you already know about these things.

Just my .02
Definitely agreed with you on #10. Curious what you don't like about #16?

Old 12-28-2014, 06:28 PM

Brill,

Well, I guess I don't have a "problem" with #16, just in most cases, I don't see a need for double backup. Of course, I continuously back up on new media as it becomes the standard. I guess you could say that I, in fact, do double backup as I have multiple copies of the images I like. I just don't see a need to double back up every image I take.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:40 PM

1,423 posts, read 2,533,552 times
Quote:
Brill,

Well, I guess I don't have a "problem" with #16, just in most cases, I don't see a need for double backup. Of course, I continuously back up on new media as it becomes the standard. I guess you could say that I, in fact, do double backup as I have multiple copies of the images I like. I just don't see a need to double back up every image I take.
You only need to backup the images you don't want to lose. A double backup of all data you don't want to lose is a good idea. An onsite and an offsite backup.

I have 3 copies of all the images I want to keep. One on my primary drive. One backup in my apartment and another backup that I keep offsite. Offsite backup is needed so I don't lose everything in the case of fire, flood or other type disaster.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:08 AM

Agreed. I probably have at least three backups of the images I like. I keep images on a separate portable drive, on a flash drive and then there is the internet cloud. Depending on if I'm working on an image, it would also be on my primary drive, not to mention my clients' files. I just think backing up everything I shoot is more trouble than it's worth. But then again, I have terabytes of images.

One of our local museum curators says to make a print on archival quality paper of everything you really, really want to keep as digital data is not stable. Not to mention you have to transfer it every time a new format comes out. For instance, do you have any photos saved on 5 1/4" floppy disks that you may have forgotten to transfer to new media?

Old 12-29-2014, 07:39 PM

25,203 posts, read 41,188,446 times
Quote:
One of our local museum curators says to make a print on archival quality paper of everything you really, really want to keep as digital data is not stable.
$14,000 just for cheap backup's on cheap paper for my last 5 years. True or not, I'm not going to do that...

Quote:
Not to mention you have to transfer it every time a new format comes out.
That has not been a real problem with me.

Quote:
For instance, do you have any photos saved on 5 1/4" floppy disks that you may have forgotten to transfer to new media?
Absolutely not, that was taken care of long ago...

Old 12-29-2014, 08:23 PM

8,805 posts, read 13,570,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
100 Tips from Professional Photographers

Saw this list online and as I was reading it even though I know very little about photography some things didn't seem right to me.

Some of the tips that stood out as strange to me:
#10 People will always discredit your work if you tell them you “photoshop” your images. Rather, tell them that you process them in the “digital darkroom”. (Sounds a little silly)
There's truth to this when photoshop is used as a verb, a lot of people think "photoshopping" makes up for poor shooting so if you say you photoshop your images, they think you are trying to make up for the fact that you don't know how to take a good photo, only how to photoshop a good one.

Quote:
#83 A noisy photo is better than a blurry one. (Is this always the case?)
Yes. Unless the blurriness is intentional which is rare, it's a big mistake. Noise that occurs from an underexposed image being brightened up is also a mistake but noise from simply having an high ISO is not a mistake and therefore there's nothing really "wrong" with it, it's just a part of photography, especially low light photography.

Quote:
#86 Never take photos on an empty stomach. (Why?)
I suppose because you're not going to be focused on shooting when distracted by hunger. But that is true of anything, I certainly wouldn't have thought of this if someone asked me specifically for photography tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clikrf8 View Post
Doesn't sound very "professional" to me. I would prefer a list that would include depth of field relation to f/stops, shutter speed the inverse of your focal length for less camera shake, shooting ˝ hour before sunrise, after sunset, etc. Any creative endeavor should always have a rule on breaking rules.
Yes but that list might be too long and technical for one online article trying to appeal to masses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
This is absolutely ridiculous because every single photographer worth anything uses photoshop and lightroom or Bridge.
Yes but a lot of people won't understand that. I always say "process" or "edit", not "photoshop". I am not afraid to say I use Photoshop to process my work but I don't use the word photoshop as a verb. Using it as a verb has become synonymous with heavily, unrealistic looking edits. I only use the word Photoshop as a noun, the proper noun that it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography