U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2014, 02:36 PM

622 posts, read 2,892,824 times

Advertisements

Hello, my HP photosmart 7550 printer has stopped working. It definitely did it's job for many years as a utility printer along with photo prints of 4"x6" mostly family pics. I don't use a pro camera. Most pics are actually from a phone. I think it's 16 mp camera.

Here are my two choices of printers.

Canon Pixma 8720 printer.

Canon PIXMA iP8720 Wireless Inkjet Photo Printer 8746B002 B&H

and Canon Pixma Pro 100

pixma pro 100 | B&H Photo Video

One would think the Pro 100 is better, but my concern is the amount of ink I would use with that printer. The Pro price is actually $75 LESS than the other printer. (Pro=$150 vs 8720=$225). I only really need it for 4x6 photos that don't have editing done to them. I will only be using this printer for photos as I have another all-in-one for other printing stuff.

I'm sure, if I had the opportunity, I would utilize the larger print modes, if I could, but that is not my intent. My main conern is sharp colorful pictures but also the ink cost would make a difference if it were double from one to the other. Any opinions? Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 11:16 PM

25,183 posts, read 41,130,452 times
Quote:
Best printer for regular 4x6 photos.
Guess it depends on how many you do.

I gave up printing pictures at home a few years ago. In 2011 I did 116 prints, 5x7 and 4x6 for a total of $26.15 through Costco. Email the images, same day printing most of the times and better than ink jets at home... I can have the prints mailed, or swing by quickly to pick them up. My wife has her own printers for her work.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:50 PM

Oh, I didn't realize I got replies. Thank you! I was expecting an E-mail notification of replies, but they never came. Sorry.

I ended up getting the Pixma pro 100. I may just use the good quality it produces. I am no pro certainly, but do like to print on the fly, and sometimes I may want one or two or sometimes 10 of a print, depnding on circumstances and how the picture may come out. Then I want the same pic in different sizes, etc... That is the main reason for printing at home.

I did end up getting the Pro 100 for $150, I just couldn't pass up the good deal. Yes, future ink will cost a bit, but hopefully be worth the extra print quality.

I've yet to receive the printer, but looking forward to it. I also got the Photoshop Elements 13. No idea what I'm doing but hope to learn to navigate it.

Thanks again.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:11 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,356,595 times
You will soon discover that the ink cost is about the same as the price of the printer, almost $140. The good is that you can get compatible ink from Meritline.com for about $32.
Meritline.com,canon pixma pro-100 ink cartridges

Old 12-31-2014, 02:22 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,295,471 times
4x6s are so cheap to print it probably won't make sense to get a printer. I've seen them for 10cents each at Walgreens. Once you factor in the printer, photo paper, ink, etc... it's probably cheaper to have them done

Old 12-31-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
4x6s are so cheap to print it probably won't make sense to get a printer. I've seen them for 10cents each at Walgreens. Once you factor in the printer, photo paper, ink, etc... it's probably cheaper to have them done
I understand, and for some or most, it may be good, but personally, I like to print on the fly, so to speak. My kids have their friends over the house for the day, wether it's in the pool, or X-box dancing games, or just having kid fun. I like to snap a few action shots and print them for their parents when they come back to pick them up. Same goes for Birthday parties, get togethers, at home, etc... The parents love the pics as soon as they come at the end of the day. For me, it makes it worthwhile, but I totally understand the other reasons getting them printed elsewhere would work better. Also, like mentioned above, if a print comes out really nice, some family memebers want extras of them. So, I just print more on the spot. It's no big deal. Having said all that, I will say these are just ordinary camera phots without much editing etc... They're just fun family pics mostly, but I absolutley love the way they come out. I've been doing it for 10+ years mostly with the Photosmart printer. I recently tried the HP all-in-one and they looked horrible. This led me to purchase a better "photo" printer.... and I'm here today.

PS I've been burned with non oem ink before. I swore I wouldn't do it again, bu that meritline price looks great! lol. For now I'll stick to the oem until I get comfortable enough.

Thanks for all the help!

Old 12-31-2014, 06:15 PM

3,228 posts, read 2,835,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Guess it depends on how many you do.

I gave up printing pictures at home a few years ago. In 2011 I did 116 prints, 5x7 and 4x6 for a total of $26.15 through Costco. Email the images, same day printing most of the times and better than ink jets at home... I can have the prints mailed, or swing by quickly to pick them up. My wife has her own printers for her work.
This. We have a HP Photosmart and mom uses that printer. It does great, but I like getting my pictures developed - I use Snapfish, which is through HP. They do a great job and don't charge an arm and a leg. I think printer ink can be expensive.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:42 PM

9,317 posts, read 5,273,643 times
I used to do a lot of printing.... even my own enlargements on a high end ink jet using archival quality materials.

Overtime, it became obvious that outsourcing that task to a quality service was far more cost effective; especially with my time. I've been pretty happy with mpix. For quick snapshots where the quality is less of a concern, the CVS down the street will have my prints ready within the hour after submitting my request online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or