Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2011, 03:41 PM

963 posts, read 2,301,920 times

Advertisements

Looking good! Very Good! These have a more 'painterly' feel to them. One last tip, focus on the part of the flower you want to be in sharp focus and let everything else become blurred. It means really paying attention to what the camera focuses on. Usually most cameras give you the choice of multiple focus points for overall sharpness or a single focus point that allows you to focus on exactly what you want to be sharp. This gives you precise control over what will be in sharp focus and what will not. Keep posting!

Here's an example:
In the image below, the front of the main flower is in sharp focus because I focused on the front part of the flower (the first flower) I wanted to be sharp. Everything else fades into a blur. You can do that with a dslr camera and some pointand shoots in macro mode that allow you to select a single point of focus.

http://stylepeterson.com/flowers/white-flowers-spring.jpg (broken link)

Screw on close up adapters are a very cheap way to do close-up photography on the cheap with a dslr. They are not as critically sharp as a real macro lens. They are simple lenses that screw on the front of your existing lens, like a filter. Typically you can get a set of three (with different magnification) for about $25. I have used then quite a bit in my photography to achieve a more artistic look to my flower shots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 06:34 PM

44,353 posts, read 20,056,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design7 View Post
Looking good! Very Good! These have a more 'painterly' feel to them. One last tip, focus on the part of the flower you want to be in sharp focus and let everything else become blurred. It means really paying attention to what the camera focuses on. Usually most cameras give you the choice of multiple focus points for overall sharpness or a single focus point that allows you to focus on exactly what you want to be sharp. This gives you precise control over what will be in sharp focus and what will not. Keep posting!

Here's an example:
In the image below, the front of the main flower is in sharp focus because I focused on the front part of the flower (the first flower) I wanted to be sharp. Everything else fades into a blur. You can do that with a dslr camera and some pointand shoots in macro mode that allow you to select a single point of focus.

http://stylepeterson.com/flowers/white-flowers-spring.jpg (broken link)

Screw on close up adapters are a very cheap way to do close-up photography on the cheap with a dslr. They are not as critically sharp as a real macro lens. They are simple lenses that screw on the front of your existing lens, like a filter. Typically you can get a set of three (with different magnification) for about $25. I have used then quite a bit in my photography to achieve a more artistic look to my flower shots.
Beautiful! Thanks, Design!

Old 03-21-2011, 10:02 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,073,762 times
Default Wow!

I've thoroughly enjoyed seeing the pictures in this thread. I've learned a lot from the posts but most importantly, I've learned that I won't be posting any more flower photos!

I don't have the right camera equipment or the talent. These photos are absolutely gorgeous!

Old 03-21-2011, 10:54 AM

44,353 posts, read 20,056,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
I've thoroughly enjoyed seeing the pictures in this thread. I've learned a lot from the posts but most importantly, I've learned that I won't be posting any more flower photos!

I don't have the right camera equipment or the talent. These photos are absolutely gorgeous!
Please don't go, LilyLady! I felt the same way when I posted my first pics last fall and they were pretty lame, compared to all the others on this forum. Everyone was a beginner at some time, though, and not everyone has a fancy schmantzy camera with special lenses and filters and all that jazz. Please share your flower photos anytime! I, for one, will love them all the same. When it comes to flowers, it's the subject matter I enjoy most.

My snowdrops pictures were taken with automatic settings. I've yet to learn about all the special stuff I can do manually with my camera. All in good time!

Old 03-21-2011, 11:17 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times
Hi friends. Here is one of mine that I enjoy:

Old 03-21-2011, 11:22 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,734,672 times
Quote:

Quitter are ya??? ....Oh no you don't! you have to take more and more photo's an keep posting...

Old 03-21-2011, 11:45 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
The first irises in my garden.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:22 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,073,762 times
Oh, I'm not going anywhere and I'm not quitting either. I'm going to keep on reading and learning and thoroughly enjoying the pictures in this thread and many others in this forum. The pictures are wonderful.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:29 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,734,672 times
Quote:
Oh, I'm not going anywhere and I'm not quitting either. I'm going to keep on reading and learning and thoroughly enjoying the pictures in this thread and many others in this forum. The pictures are wonderful.
POINT is you have to keep posting your photo's for us to see!

Old 03-21-2011, 01:33 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
Quote:
Don't you want to make the transition from "I think I can" to "I KNOW I can!"? Reading about it is not the same as holding that camera and shooting yourself. Part of the learning experience is to post, ask questions, apply the answers and compare results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography