Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 05:22 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,618,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
What they expect is to make a few bucks. A couple bucks and everyone is happy. Once I dropped a couple bucks he hammed it up.
The funny thing is the guy that was performing didn't even have a tip jar. He just said, "I don't like anyone taking my picture! Only my friend are allowed."I guess he's a diva and those type of people are just worthy of walking away from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 12:01 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
The funny thing is the guy that was performing didn't even have a tip jar. He just said, "I don't like anyone taking my picture! Only my friend are allowed."I guess he's a diva and those type of people are just worthy of walking away from.
You could very well right and the exception doesn't prove any rule. People are odd and sometimes you run into the oddest.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:47 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,320,341 times
Quote:
Last Saturday when I went to Rittenhouse Square Park in Philadelphia, I brought along my camera. I was there once before, but in 2013. I love their statues and the park is very picturesque. I did capture a lot of photographs and I ran into a trumpeter I met two years before and took his picture. I began to take his picture on Saturday and before I could snap the picture, he stopped playing and yelled at me.

He said, "You're a rude and ignorant person! How dare you take my picture without really asking."
I replied, "I took your picture two years ago."
"Do you know me?"
I knew his first name, but I didn't want to get it wrong, and said no. I almost took out my cell phone to show him the picture I took two years ago (it was on my Instagram). He wouldn't have any of it, he continued calling me rude. I felt very embarrassed and on spot. I finally, angrily, said, "Well, I am not a rude person." His lady friend angrily said, "Well you are proving you are." I walked away.

When I got home, I saw on my LinkedIn account I still had his friendship pending. I requested him on LinkedIn two months ago. I sent him an e-mail and said, "I knew your name. I have requested you before. How dare you call me rude and ignorant when you're playing in public. Anyone can take your picture in public." Never received a response, but that's okay.

So, what are the ethics and etiquette for this type of situation?

No one can reasonably expect privacy in a public place.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:22 AM

I found this: Jafar Barron Plays the Park | Music | Philadelphia Weekly

Maybe that's why he doesn't like his picture taken and is a bit of a diva. :\

Old 05-31-2015, 06:15 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Nice find.......As I said. buy a CD off him. Take a minute to talk to him about it. Then ask if you could take his pic for personal use. Sounds to me that getting pics of him performing would be well worth the $10 whether or not you are legally able to take his pic in public or not.

I like to take a few minutes to talk to someone before taking their pics. Locally we have a street preacher that everyone makes jokes about. Yes, he is a bit different, he drives around town with his Bible waving out his window preaching or can be seen on a local street corner.

I took a few moments to stop and talk to him. He was quick to tell me his story and was happy to pose for a picture.

Attached Thumbnails
Ethics of Taking Pictures of Public Performers-dsc_1383-copy-20140406-682x1024-copy-533x800  

Old 05-31-2015, 08:53 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,816,953 times
Quote:
I found this: Jafar Barron Plays the Park | Music | Philadelphia Weekly

Maybe that's why he doesn't like his picture taken and is a bit of a diva. :\
Obviously he didn't have a problem with his picture being taken and plastered in a weekly magazine, and yet he objects to people on the street taking his pictures. Seem hypocritical to me. The article also explains why he doesn't have a tip jar; you're supposed to buy his self-made CDs he's peddling for $10.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Nice find.......As I said. buy a CD off him. Take a minute to talk to him about it. Then ask if you could take his pic for personal use. Sounds to me that getting pics of him performing would be well worth the $10 whether or not you are legally able to take his pic in public or not.

I like to take a few minutes to talk to someone before taking their pics. Locally we have a street preacher that everyone makes jokes about. Yes, he is a bit different, he drives around town with his Bible waving out his window preaching or can be seen on a local street corner.

I took a few moments to stop and talk to him. He was quick to tell me his story and was happy to pose for a picture.
Maybe I will next time. I didn't see his CDs two weeks ago (he was just sitting on a bench playing the trumpet and his best friend was sitting next to him), but maybe next time he will have the CDs and I'll just get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Obviously he didn't have a problem with his picture being taken and plastered in a weekly magazine, and yet he objects to people on the street taking his pictures. Seem hypocritical to me. The article also explains why he doesn't have a tip jar; you're supposed to buy his self-made CDs he's peddling for $10.
Yes, he just seems very eccentric. His LinkedIn picture is very eccentric too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography