Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 07:15 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,501,664 times

Advertisements

Mike, are you using your Canon 7D for real estate pics? I just started entertaining the idea of a DSLR for getting pics/vids of one of my kids gymnastics events. But, I could also use it for better RE property pics for listings, to take the place of my very decent Panasonic LUMIX I've used for a few years. The connectivity features in the Rebel T6i are enticing, to me.

Sorry to hijack, OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 08:49 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
Mike, are you using your Canon 7D for real estate pics? I just started entertaining the idea of a DSLR for getting pics/vids of one of my kids gymnastics events. But, I could also use it for better RE property pics for listings, to take the place of my very decent Panasonic LUMIX I've used for a few years. The connectivity features in the Rebel T6i are enticing, to me.

Sorry to hijack, OP.
I will be using it for real estate. Will be. It just shipped yesterday.

I maybe should have bought a 6D, with wifi built in, but I went "cheap."

Old 11-05-2015, 10:12 AM

5,355 posts, read 5,132,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I really could have been more clear on the lens purchase. I don't mean to suggest "getting good lenses up front."

IF... IF one is going to invest in good glass, then one might wisely have a notion of the future. Sure, one may change camera lines at any point, and that is a consideration.
If one is going to wait for a final decision on the make of camera, one may never own good glass, as that decision may never be "final," and one will forever hedge their bet.
I really do like the value of refurbs direct from Canon, and used stuff on Craigslist, however.

I considered going full frame, but I went with the Canon 7D Mark II for a few reasons.
1. The ergonomics purposely mimic the Canon 5D Mark III, and IF I decide to go full frame at some point, I may go with Canon and may have the handling and control already understood.
2. And I really got a great price on the 7D Mark II. Good enough that I can resell it if I want to go full frame, and I won't get hurt.
3. I have EF-S lenses.

This gear is expensive enough, one should have one eye in the present, and one eye in the future, for sure.
True. There probably won't be too many technological changes in lenses, unlike cameras which will likely get better and better. But I wouldn't recommend going all out for a first camera because there's a lot of descisions to make. Which brand of camera, do I want a full frame or not, and most importantly what factors in a lens do I want. Do I want an 28-200 or a 50-300. Would I use macro photography? Do fixed lenses seem like a real pain or can I learn to use them? It all depends on what type of photography the user ends up doing and how much they want to learn and how much time to spend on each shot. So for the second camera I could see getting good lenses.

But what's good? From what I've seen $100-$500 per lens is the average costs. There are good fixed lenses that get like 1.8 Fstop for about $100 for portrait photography. The 70-300mm lenses are next in price with decent ones about $250-400 and the 28-200mm lenses (or ones that operate on both sides of 50mm) are usually the most pricey for quality. I fail to see how $1500 lenses add much value though as it seems ones you break about $500-600 the increase in quality is small, but the price increases a lot.

To me, I don't know that I would get full frame as it seems like an expensive upgrade, both for the camera and the lenses. My moms Nikon D7000 takes really good shots with a cropped sensor...

Congrats on the 7D though! That should be cool. It's a few steps up from the D7000, which is an amazing piece of equipment. What lenses do you have/getting?

Old 11-05-2015, 11:05 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
Just for giggles, anyone who thinks there's some huge difference between 4/3, APS-C and full frame should take the time to watch this video. Sorta puts things into perspective and has Completely cured me of wanting full frame for the sake of full frame. Maybe if the camera has Other features that I desire, but not for the sensor.

https://youtu.be/PHYidejT3KY

Old 11-05-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Just for giggles, anyone who thinks there's some huge difference between 4/3, APS-C and full frame should take the time to watch this video. Sorta puts things into perspective and has Completely cured me of wanting full frame for the sake of full frame. Maybe if the camera has Other features that I desire, but not for the sensor.

https://youtu.be/PHYidejT3KY
Well. That was fun.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
True. There probably won't be too many technological changes in lenses, unlike cameras which will likely get better and better. But I wouldn't recommend going all out for a first camera because there's a lot of descisions to make. Which brand of camera, do I want a full frame or not, and most importantly what factors in a lens do I want. Do I want an 28-200 or a 50-300. Would I use macro photography? Do fixed lenses seem like a real pain or can I learn to use them? It all depends on what type of photography the user ends up doing and how much they want to learn and how much time to spend on each shot. So for the second camera I could see getting good lenses.

But what's good? From what I've seen $100-$500 per lens is the average costs. There are good fixed lenses that get like 1.8 Fstop for about $100 for portrait photography. The 70-300mm lenses are next in price with decent ones about $250-400 and the 28-200mm lenses (or ones that operate on both sides of 50mm) are usually the most pricey for quality. I fail to see how $1500 lenses add much value though as it seems ones you break about $500-600 the increase in quality is small, but the price increases a lot.

To me, I don't know that I would get full frame as it seems like an expensive upgrade, both for the camera and the lenses. My moms Nikon D7000 takes really good shots with a cropped sensor...

Congrats on the 7D though! That should be cool. It's a few steps up from the D7000, which is an amazing piece of equipment. What lenses do you have/getting?
Just a basic Canon lens group.

EF 50mm f/1.8 II
EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II

I also have a Tamron AF 11-18mm f/4.5-5.6 for real estate interiors. It was more affordable than a Canon EF-S 10-22mm and I like the results OK.

Basic stuff that is adequate for my current needs, and I haven't outgrown the group.
And, as mentioned, I should shoot more and worry about gear less.
Any good results I get are a product of shooting, shooting, shooting, and reviewing the results.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:40 AM

5,355 posts, read 5,132,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Just a basic Canon lens group.

EF 50mm f/1.8 II
EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II

I also have a Tamron AF 11-18mm f/4.5-5.6 for real estate interiors. It was more affordable than a Canon EF-S 10-22mm and I like the results OK.

Basic stuff that is adequate for my current needs, and I haven't outgrown the group.
And, as mentioned, I should shoot more and worry about gear less.
Any good results I get are a product of shooting, shooting, shooting, and reviewing the results.
Interesting. Why do you have so many zoom out lenses (18-55)? Do you use your fixed lens a lot?

Old 11-11-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Interesting. Why do you have so many zoom out lenses (18-55)? Do you use your fixed lens a lot?
I hardly use the fixed lens.
The two 18-55s are kit lenses from two cameras. One is damaged, so while it works OK, it isn't sellable for anything, so I keep it around. The STM lens is a keeper.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:14 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
Meanwhile, I have 4 lenses (well, 5 with an adapter on one)... I never use the adapter (ultra-wide angle, just too much distortion for the minimal gains), a 16mm I use somewhat frequently, a 35mm I use for easily 90% of my shooting, the kit lens that's 18-55 and I haven't put on the camera since buying the 35mm, and finally a 55~210 that I've only used a couple of times.

I hardly use the zoom lenses. Heavy, clunky, noticeably lower quality than my 35mm prime.

Funny how different people do things completely opposite. Even when I do have the 55-210 fitted, I have it cranked out to 210 and frequently wonder if I wouldn't be happier with an even longer lens, though that would require an adapter and lose image stabilization (among other things).

Old 11-14-2015, 07:50 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
Thanks for your help. I will look into your suggestions I definitely do not want to take pics on my cell. Im beyond that and I never really did that anyway. lol. I kind of was looking for something with interchangeable lens. I have a couple of point and shoots but I wanted to start learning on a slightly better camera. I suppose I should have mentioned that lol
My best advice to you is to subscribe to Lynda.com and learn about the types of photography you're looking to do. Or KelbyOne. This will not only help you take better photos, but will simplify the "gear" buying process and could save you from potentially spending money on gear that you may not find suitable after a few months of use.

Don't go with what's popular, go with what works best for you.

Rent some from lensrentals.com to get accustomed with the various bodies & lenses, before buying anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography