Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 06:37 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldragon View Post
I had a bride approach me because she liked the work I do. I quoted her a price and she said it was well under her budget and that she needed to talk to her husband to be at the time. It went silent after that, months later she messages me and asks if there is a way to fix blurry photos. Depending on how bad the blurr is you can slightly improve the image but no, you can not fix a blurry photo I told her. I asked why? she said that her photographer did a s#!t job, the photos look like they were shot with a cellphone even though he had a big camera. <-- her words exactly.. She continued to tell me that she was trying to make a photo album but every time she uploads an image to the website, the site red flags the image as "low resolution". I told her that I do not fix other peoples work, not even for money but I asked her to send me an image to see what kind of a blurr she needed to get fixed. When I received the "finalized" photos it was a total loss. I asked her if she had paid for these images, she said yes. Beautiful moments of her emotional dance with her father, baby and husband were just lost. I told her "I'm sorry but this makes me angry, it is because of this, people have a hard time trusting photographers and I don't blame them" I told her to ask the photographer for a refund, she said she regrets not going with me but her now husband told her that he had a friend with a big camera. Then I came to realize that is was one of those sad stories again...

He used a Canon t4i with a 55-250mm and 18-55mm kit lens to cover the wedding in low light situations with the native flash or no flash at all. With the variable aperture in both lenses it must have made it extremely difficult to get a good image. I'm not knocking the gear, you can get decent images from such camera and lenses if you are more prepared and educated with your gear and knowledge in how to make a great image. Clearly a "professional photographer" that was not.. Too bad, people in need of photography services need to ask a lot of questions prior to pulling the trigger, even if its your friend with the big camera...

What can you do, you live and you learn...

Some of my work

Always make sure the photographer you hire has a REALLY big camera!

I'm a fairly decent AMATEUR photographer and have been asked to do some weddings of my friends. No way! First off, I want to enjoy the wedding. Secondly, always go with a professional. Cameras may be a lot user friendly these days, but it's still the person behind it that gets results. I'll go and blast away at the wedding for some candid shots and give them to the couple after the wedding, no pressure that way.

And I speak from experience about a relative doing wedding photos. My wife's brother in law was a school photographer and he sucked big time. Not one shot that was candid or different. I scanned one of his photos of me and wrote below it: Tom-2nd Grade I have never looked at the album more than once.

Word to the wise, get a professional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 07:29 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I have a question for all you "amateur" photographers out there.

In the day and age of cellphone cameras that can capture the perfect moments at any time, do we really need to pay professional photographers to take pictures of our kids.

I think many people could do it just as good, or better. I don't know...what are your thoughts.
I do not have a cellphone.

I have been an "amateur" photographer since I was in grade school, 40+ years ago.

I have done some photographs for friends...

We still pay for professional photos of our kids, grandkids and great grandkids... However, I
still take the majority of the family photographs of those family members which are nearby:

Taken 2007, IMG_5497 by Ricardo, on Flickr.

Taken 2016,IMG_8047 by Ricardo, on Flickr.

Taken 2008,IMG_7871 by Ricardo, on Flickr.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 12-27-2016 at 07:38 AM..

Old 12-27-2016, 07:52 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:
I have a question for all you "amateur" photographers out there. In the day and age of cellphone cameras that can capture the perfect moments at any time, do we really need to pay professional photographers to take pictures of our kids. I might be alone here, but I think my cell phone pictures of my daughter turns out much better than what I pay the school photographer for every year. The day my daughter was born we paid almost 200 bucks to have some lady take pictures of her. And sure, they were very nice but to be honest...I think many people could do it just as good, or better. I don't know...what are your thoughts.
If you think a cell phone camera is just as good as professionally taken photographs, I don't even know how to respond. Most cell phone pictures look exactly like what they are -- a snapshot for a memory, not a well composed photograph.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:13 AM

743 posts, read 2,269,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Always make sure the photographer you hire has a REALLY big camera!

Lol, yes, its most important.. Also one camera body, one flash, one lens, one memory card because nothing ever goes wrong.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:21 AM

I don't consider myself as a professional photographer because it is not my primary job. The professional label is mostly given by people specially those who think "he has a big camera so he is a pro" lol. I'm more in the very expericed level where I can adjust to any given moment with my gear, communication at all times with my subjects to get the best possible shot. One thing is for sure I am human as well margin or error is always there..

May be one day I'll reach to be a "Master Photographer"!! Lol

Can anyone explain what a master photographer is? I have heard this label quite often..

Last edited by eldragon; 12-27-2016 at 09:30 AM..

Old 12-27-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I do not have a cellphone.

I have been an "amateur" photographer since I was in grade school, 40+ years ago.

I have done some photographs for friends...

We still pay for professional photos of our kids, grandkids and great grandkids... However, I
still take the majority of the family photographs of those family members which are nearby:

Taken 2007, IMG_5497 by Ricardo, on Flickr.

Taken 2016,IMG_8047 by Ricardo, on Flickr.

Taken 2008,IMG_7871 by Ricardo, on Flickr.

And there is nothing wrong with that Poncho.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
If you think a cell phone camera is just as good as professionally taken photographs, I don't even know how to respond. Most cell phone pictures look exactly like what they are -- a snapshot for a memory, not a well composed photograph.
I mean, there is no doubt you can get decent photos from a cell phone, I have taken some portraits myself that I think are pretty decent. But its not because of the cellphone that I think the pics are great, its more because the lighting I saw available.

My apologies for the quality but the images I'm sharing have been murdered by isntagran and Facebook.

Selfshot galaxy note4
Front of a lamp with a florescent light exposing for the brightest part on my face.

Coached my daughter to do the same thing here but this time I was next to a window with my new born niece at the time.

I have more but I don't want to bore everyone plus working on the cell to copy, paste and share is a pain in the arse.. Lol

Old 12-27-2016, 10:26 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,282,316 times
It's just like everything else

You can do it yourself and get a "good product"
or you can pay somebody and get a product between "good" and "excellent"

I'm able to make "excellent products" in a lot of different things
For the ones I can't, I pay somebody.

Old 12-27-2016, 10:40 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
I have a question for all you "amateur" photographers out there. In the day and age of cellphone cameras that can capture the perfect moments at any time, do we really need to pay professional photographers to take pictures of our kids.
As a professional photographer, there are indeed plenty of people who have some skills, and decent cameras (since they can be gotten for under $1k these days). I don't see any reason to pay a pro unless you want a long session with special clothing and props, or a location shoot, or a milestone event.

That said, there are an awful lot of "photographers" out there that think just because they got one of those "big cameras" that it automatically makes them a good photographer.

Only you can decide what is best, after all, it's your money and your time.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:20 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldragon View Post
I don't consider myself as a professional photographer because it is not my primary job. The professional label is mostly given by people specially those who think "he has a big camera so he is a pro" lol. I'm more in the very expericed level where I can adjust to any given moment with my gear, communication at all times with my subjects to get the best possible shot. One thing is for sure I am human as well margin or error is always there..

May be one day I'll reach to be a "Master Photographer"!! Lol

Can anyone explain what a master photographer is? I have heard this label quite often..
Well short of people labeling themselves as that, A Master photographer generally someone who is a member of the Professional Photographers of America. Not a typical college degree.
As a member they have different degrees you can earn
Masters degree
Masters degree in electronic imaging
Masters artist ( retouching)
Craftsman degree
Certified Photographer

I used to belong to this Assoc. It often takes members as long as 10 years to earn one degree. Some never get it. If you are top notch it's possible to do in 4 years. It's not that easy to get. Typically you enter prints and they are judged by other Masters. They are usually prints that scored well in a local affiliate. Most people get blown out here and never get to the next stage. You earn credits for prints that score well. You also have to pass exams and usually teach classes to other photographers to earn credits.

While I was a member I kicked butt. I earned Certified Photographer, Masters degree, Masters degree in electronic imaging, and was close to getting my Craftsman degree in about 6 years total.

It was a good experience in that I learned a lot doing it and I garnered a lot of respect and notariety, but IMHO it's worth it just for your self satisfaction and to look good to your peers.

A client could care less. They love what they love.

Oh and another thing, if you quit, you lose you masters status. I have several boxes of awards and plaques that frankly I wish I could just cash them out somehow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography