Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 01:11 PM

2,408 posts, read 2,432,030 times

Advertisements

I currently use Lightroom 5.7 with a Canon 5D3. I am not a gearhead so I don't have plans to buy a new camera though I realize my 5 year old camera could use a refresh. For me, photography is a passion. While I earn a few thousand dollars a year on Getty Images, my decisions about photography are based on it as a hobby, not a critical source of income. I have just returned from a trip to Myanmar and am only now reading about Adobe's decision to stop supporting the stand alone version of LR. I have zero interest in the subscription version as I fully expect Adobe to dramatically increase the monthly rate once they've enticed enough people to subscribe and load their raw files on to their servers.
LR 5.7 seems to suit my needs but I see Adobe has one final upgrade available to me: LR 6. At the time of its release it didn't seem too tempting of an upgrade for me...I was thinking of waiting for LR 7 (which will never be). So i am wondering if I should do this last upgrade from LR 5.7 to LR 6 before Adobe takes that option away.
Are there any benefits to upgrading from 5.7 to 6.0? I've heard performance speeds up for some, slows down for others.
So here is what my PC runs:
Windows 10 64 bit, Lightroom v. 5.7, CPU: i7-3770K with 32 GB of RAM and graphics card Radeon RX 460 with OpenGL® Version 6.14.10.13497 and OpenCL™ Version 23
Are there any upgrade benefits and cons for me going from LR 5.7 to 6 ??? Are there any upgrade pitfalls? Does LR 6 still use the Process 2012 engine conversion? Any new or improved tools that aren't in v.5.7? I've read some people have been able to unlock the Dehaze tool in LR 6 using presets. Any other big picture things I need to consider like LR 6 not working on a future Windows version (like W 11)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 01:30 PM

4,560 posts, read 5,416,094 times
Just upgrade to Lightroom CC and Lightroom Classic CC and call it a day.

I too shoot with a Canon 5DmIII.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:50 PM

No thanks. It might be $10 a month now but they'll be ramping the price up once they've enticed more people to load their RAWs on to their servers. Their price is attractive now, useful as bait to attract people unfamiliar with how these subscription models work.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:53 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times
Before you update, be sure to read the complaints about the lastest LR standalone update (which is actually 6.13, not 6.0) on the official Adobe LR forum: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb...p-to-date.html

For now, I'll stick with 5.7. It works fine with all of my current lenses, and combined with PS, I can do everything I need for my current work (I'm into alternate printing processes, so the existing LR/PS combo works for me without the need for the latest updates). So I don't feel a pressing need to update to 6.13.

Like you, I prefer to own my software rather than subscribe to it. If you want to stick with standalone, however, Adobe LR is no longer the only game in town.

I've tried trial versions of several other platforms and have found some of them pretty good for my particular needs. So far, my personal favorite of those I've tried is DXO. It's nifty and just as easy (maybe easier actually) to use as LR. But there are some other very good options available as well.

I'll probably switch away from LR at some point in the future because Adobe has made it pretty clear that they're hellbent on pushing their standalone customers to the cloud.

If I wanted to upgrade from Lightroom 5.7 right now, I'd bite the bullet and just buy into the Creative Cloud so I could get automatic updates (including for PS) as new releases come out and have decent tech support for it.

And, as I said, clearly that is the path Adobe is going to eventually push you into whether you want it or not; in the meantime, they don't want folks to stick with standalone so they're not going to bend over backwards to keep those customers happy.

So, if you're committed to LR, you might as well hop on the CC boat sooner rather than later, even if you don't like the subscription model.

By the way, the latest CC version of Lightroom is not 6.13 but 7.1. That tells you something right there.

Last edited by RosieSD; 12-17-2017 at 07:06 PM..

Old 12-17-2017, 07:09 PM

PS, just in case you'd like to check out another option, here's the link to the DXO Photolab product, which I really liked quite a bit:

Overview | DxO.com

Capture One also has some very nice features, but there are other options as well.

But, your mileage may vary, depending on your photography goals.

Last edited by RosieSD; 12-17-2017 at 07:50 PM..

Old 12-18-2017, 02:38 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Just upgrade to Lightroom CC and Lightroom Classic CC and call it a day.
I too shoot with a Canon 5DmIII.
I agree. It really nice always having the latest features, bug fixes and performance enhancements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmar View Post
No thanks. It might be $10 a month now but they'll be ramping the price up once they've enticed more people to load their RAWs on to their servers. Their price is attractive now, useful as bait to attract people unfamiliar with how these subscription models work.
Lightroom CC Classic works with your photos on your drives, same as you do now. Lightroom Mobile is a new program with the cloud feature so that you can edit your pictures while you're on the road. The photographer's package for $9.99/month includes both version of LR as well as Photoshop. They've had that same pricing since they released it almost three years ago. But now you also get LR Mobile thrown in as well.

Old 12-18-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Lightroom CC Classic works with your photos on your drives, same as you do now..
To me the writing is on the wall. LR Classic is the next iteration of LR to be killed off just like the standalone version is no longer being supported and was lacking features.
The future is in cloud based apps so even LR Classic will be swept away soon enough. This is long-term strategy. Once Adobe has completed the strategy of enticing customers on to their cloud based program then their subscription price will start to increase.
What happens if one opts out of LR CC? Can they get their terabytes of photos off the Adobe servers and on to their own storage devices?

Old 12-18-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
PS, just in case you'd like to check out another option, here's the link to the DXO Photolab product, which I really liked quite a bit:

Overview | DxO.com

Capture One also has some very nice features, but there are other options as well.

But, your mileage may vary, depending on your photography goals.
Thanks Rosie - I'm pretty adept at the LR workflow right now so I am gonna stick with it for the short term...I forsee a day when I'll jump to C1 or DxO once they mature. Just don't want to learn new UI and workflow just yet...retirement is down the road so I'll have plenty of time then.

Old 12-18-2017, 07:11 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times
Quote:
To me the writing is on the wall. LR Classic is the next iteration of LR to be killed off just like the standalone version is no longer being supported and was lacking features.
The future is in cloud based apps so even LR Classic will be swept away soon enough. This is long-term strategy. Once Adobe has completed the strategy of enticing customers on to their cloud based program then their subscription price will start to increase.
No, this is incorrect. Adobe is not going to require you to upload your photos in order to work on them. That's a ridiculous notion. What they might do is combine LR Classic and Mobile into a single program, but you'll still be able to use it on disk-based photos.
Quote:
What happens if one opts out of LR CC? Can they get their terabytes of photos off the Adobe servers and on to their own storage devices?
I don't know anything about their storage offerings. But if it's a concern, you would simple off-load your photos before you opt-out of LR. This should not be a concern anyway as no serious photographer would ever have only a single copy of their work.

You seem to be approaching this as if Adobe has some nefarious scheme to defraud you out of your last dime or something. Have they done something to deserve this level of mistrust? Thousands of professionals and probably millions of hobbyists use Adobe products. However, it's a very competitive market out there and Adobe's fortunes could turn on a dime if they did anything stupid. Trust me, they're not that stupid.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
T
Aren't you already backing up your photo files to a back up system?

If not, you should be.

A few years ago, I had a horrible computer crash and lost some very important photo work in the process. All that work was gone forever.

Now, everything gets uploaded to stand alone storage devices separate from my hard drive, and my son in law set up a "local cloud" that a backup automatically goes to. It's not a perfect system, but at least I know that if I have another crash of any part of the system, I'll still be able to retrieve the original files.

So, even if you are using CC, you should still probably be keeping a backup copy of your finished files somewhere, just in case Adobe ever gets hacked or isn't accessible.

(P.S, I've personally talked to Adobe LR tech support twice to ask them about whether files would be retrievable if you unsubscribe. Both times they reassured me that you ALWAYS own the files, and can retrieve the if you unsubscribe, but still, it probably would be smart to have a back up anyhow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography