Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 09:30 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I was hoping for some actual evaluations from CD members. Now that I looked up video reviews, I am more confused than ever.
Watching this video of an Olympus SP-100 vs the Nikon P600 seems to indicate I'd be better off with one of those.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXsD_D2D1_s&t=1s

Then again, I do not currently have an option to buy one of those used.

`
You can buy the Olympus Stylus SP-100 IHS 16 MP Digital Camera for $299.99 + $5.59 shipping at Amazon.com...

You could spend a lot of time looking at cameras, trying to decide what to get. I am happy with what I currently use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 09:37 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I remember this comment from a few days ago.

While I am comfortable with such a process (if it works properly), it is tedious compared with smartphone cameras and software capable of sending the photos anywhere. For example I bought a GoPro clone called an Apeman, that uses a memory card. I have tried three different ways to upload those pictures/videos via a memory card reader, and I cannot get it to work.

It reminds me of a video about the death of the consumer camera market which is informative/fascinating and frankly very accurate. Kids look at the way their parents try to upload, charge and do other things with stand alone cameras.
This video talks about this and other interesting things;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGp3JXKtHBM

So when someone like me is willing to use memory cards (since that is what I have done in the past) but run into roadblocks, WiFi is one of the things cameras will need to go to.

`
The video is 25 minutes of blabber... I've been taking pictures for 50+ years, and I have a grasp of what I can do and what I want to do. I am not interested in the discussions...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 02-21-2018 at 10:46 AM..

Old 02-26-2018, 05:06 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
Not knowing the camera, I will make a comment, but stand ready to have other people tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.

Here's the thing about older digital cameras--they have very little value. I've actually sold a couple of perfectly good, working DSLRs for around $50 each. They were about 3 generations old so that's what they were worth. The camera you are looking at is discontinued. That tells me that there is a new model on the market and the worth of this model will be practically nothing in a year or two.

That said, if the camera will do what you want, if you have the money and if you won't get buyers remorse when you find out this camera is worth about $50 or less if you want to sell it in the future, then go ahead and get it.

I will tell you that the 84x digital zoom isn't worth anything, it will be so full of noise as to be unusable. And the total Xtech accessories are together worth about $15. As probably is the tripod that comes with it.
Funny you mentioned that, I spent a chunk of money on a Canon pocket cam, some years back (late 2010 or so, I believe). That thing took tremendous shots, for what it was, and had great glass.

But also as you say, Canon was was busily producing models to supersede it.

By the time they were several models later, I got out. Amazon or eBay'd for good money, probably $.25 on the dollar and glad to get it. Whoever bought it got something with residual = zero. Got my money's worth on several vacations, though, and that was the whole point.

Cellphones are sweeping away those little cameras, fast. Guessing that market will be dead in five years or less, don't quote me on it but my Pixel XL takes damn good shots for example and, uh, it's always with me.

I'd thus pay $0.00 for the camera in-question. Brand, model irrelevant (Sony, Panasonic, Nikon, Canon). Leica, Fujifilm, different story.

Go bigger, get a *used* starter DSLR kit like a D3300, or a Fujifilm X100T like the one I just sold used but mint the other month for $800. Being Fujifilm note the original X100 from eight years ago used is still $350.

Or even a X-T20 and a 35mm equivalent for APS-C sensor (23mm lens, thus) if you want to actually learn something along the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography