Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 09:56 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,790,281 times

Advertisements

I’m a traveler and I love taking shots of scenery. I just use my iPhone for now and have gotten many positive comments on the quality of my photos and indeed with the new technology it would seem anyone can be a photographer and maybe everyone thinks their pix are the best. So I guess I’m wondering if it would even be worth it to spring for a “real” camera? Also what is a good beginner camera for a newbie like me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 10:16 AM

I’m thinking Nikon D3300...why or why not for this one?

Old 11-05-2018, 01:26 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,580,575 times
The D3300 has been superseded by the D3400. So unless you want to buy used (which since you are a newbie I would not recommend), you'll need to step up to the D3400. The D3400 is a nice camera and Nikon has a nice bundle with a couple of lenses for a reasonable price. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...mera_with.html

However, since you are not used to carrying around an extra lens, or even knowing what lens to use, I might suggest that you look at something like the Nikon P900 or equivalent. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...al_camera.html

The benefit of the dslr (d3400) is that you have a lot of options for your exposures as well as being able to use all of Nikon's wide range of lenses. If you decide to take this road, my recommendation is to read through the manual completely (something most of us rarely do!) and then take a photo class to figure out what you can do with this camera. Most quality camera shops have classes for beginners. The negative to this type of camera is that for beginners it's pretty complex so takes a bit more learning to realize the full potential of the camera.

The benefit to the P900 is that it is all complete, no extra lenses to lug around--therefore a smaller package. The negative is that it is does not allow for lens changes. And it probably is a bit soft at maximum focal length. Also as you grow as a photographer, you might find yourself outgrowing the camera and wishing for a dslr anyway. Again, my recommendation is to read through the manual completely and take a class.

You may have noticed that the links I've provided direct you to B&H Camera which is a very large operation in NYC. However, I provided the links so you can see the different cameras. As a beginner, you would be better off purchasing locally. The price is the same and you'll be able to go to the shop where you bought the camera to ask questions which they will be happy to answer since you bought the camera from them.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:35 AM

Thank you John! I am leaning towards the dslr despite its complexity because I have the time right now to fool with it as I’m on a permanent road trip and I’m able to get out every day to take photos and I’d have time to read that manual as you suggested.

Also, I have a sort of unrelated question...I have some photos I’ve taken in the past with just a 35 mm point n shoot that I would love to have expanded to 8x10 and framed but I’m concerned that the quality of the the pictures won’t be very good due to number of pixels. Also have some really good Iphone pix. What do you think? Should I try it?

Old 11-06-2018, 09:28 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,309,909 times
I would either keep using the cell phone for a while or get an entry level DSLR with a kit lens. I like the Canon SL1 and SL2. For many purposes, you can take good pictures with a modern smart phone IMO. I like my new iPhone XS a lot, especially because it has the 2X lens too - so I'm not restricted to wide angle photography. My SL2 is great too though.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:56 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,580,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Also, I have a sort of unrelated question...I have some photos I’ve taken in the past with just a 35 mm point n shoot that I would love to have expanded to 8x10 and framed but I’m concerned that the quality of the the pictures won’t be very good due to number of pixels. Also have some really good Iphone pix. What do you think? Should I try it?
You're more limited by the quality of the lens than pixels. If the p&s has more than 5 megapixels, you shouldn't have any problems making an 8x10 print. As I said, the quality of the lens may come into play since when you are looking at a small image on the computer screen or a 4x6 print, imperfections won't show too badly, but when you enlarge to 8x10, they can become an issue.

As PGH423 says, hang onto your cell phone. The newest versions can take really good photos and as has been mentioned before, the best camera is the one you have with you when you need it. Cell phones are always around and you may decide to leave the dslr at home or hotel because you don't want to carry it for various reasons.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:58 AM

Yes what you both say about keeping the iPhone are my thoughts as well and certainly I wouldn’t get rid of it lol. Was just trying to determine whether it would be worth it to upgrade. I’m traveling by van right now so would have this close to hand so I’m still teetering. Also maybe I’ll just try to have one of my pix made into an 8x10 to see how it comes out before I commit to more.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:53 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,309,909 times
Quote:
Yes what you both say about keeping the iPhone are my thoughts as well and certainly I wouldn’t get rid of it lol. Was just trying to determine whether it would be worth it to upgrade. I’m traveling by van right now so would have this close to hand so I’m still teetering. Also maybe I’ll just try to have one of my pix made into an 8 x 10 to see how it comes out before I commit to more.
As long as you have at least 5 or 7 megapixels, there should be no problem with an 8x10.

Old 11-07-2018, 11:57 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,412,083 times
Quote:
I’m a traveler and I love taking shots of scenery. I just use my iPhone for now and have gotten many positive comments on the quality of my photos and indeed with the new technology it would seem anyone can be a photographer and maybe everyone thinks their pix are the best. So I guess I’m wondering if it would even be worth it to spring for a “real” camera? Also what is a good beginner camera for a newbie like me?
Congrats on taking up photography as a hobby. I do it and LOVE it.

I think this is a good start:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/p...55mm-is-ii-kit

When I started with photography, I started with the Canon Rebel kit. Included camera, lens, charger, cables, etc. All you'll need is a memory card. If/when you decide you want more, you can very easily sell the camera, keep the lens (or sell it as well) to upgrade to a better camera. I upgraded from the "entry level" Canon Rebel to (at the time) was one of their most popular which is the 5D mark iii.

Old 11-07-2018, 12:26 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Quote:
Also what is a good beginner camera for a newbie like me?
That can be a tough question. Depends a lot on what you are going to do. For example, a lot of indoor pictures might require a flash, which most cameras have, but most of those flashes are not the best solution...

There are so many variables it is difficult to say

Quote:
I’m thinking Nikon D3300...why or why not for this one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
The D3300 has been superseded by the D3400. So unless you want to buy used (which since you are a newbie I would not recommend), you'll need to step up to the D3400.
I agree the D3400 is a good choice, however if you got a real good deal, I mean a "Super Deal" on the D3300 it might be worth getting...

I have been a Canon fan since the Canon F-1 came out, bought one in 1972 (as I recall)...

We (My wife and I) currently use a Canon EOS REBEL T3i , Canon PowerShot SX620 HS and a Panasonic DMC-FZ200. Each has a purpose. My wife also uses her Cell Phone, many times with good results.

Here are some best digital camera for 2018 articles:
https://www.techradar.com/news/best-camera
https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/b...digital-camera
https://www.cnet.com/reviews/best-digital-cameras/
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-ca...view-2196.html
I have always liked tomsguide, but I am old and cranky... All four review sites are valid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography