U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-07-2008, 03:08 PM

4,258 posts, read 4,149,393 times
Default Kodachrome Slides

Anyone here familiar with Kodachrome/Fujichrome Slides? I recently stumbled upon my old ones, and I'm not quite sure what to do with them. I do remember someone telling me that they are the equivalent of 25 mega-pixels if properly exposed, but how can I actually use that? Some of these range from 10 to 30+ years old and I'd like to convert them to electronic files so that the image is preserved.

Any help is appreciated.

FG
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 05:27 PM

24,373 posts, read 17,444,811 times
I have an HP scanner that has an attachment that scans slides and negatives...You may be able to get one for your scanner. Check your brand's website.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:01 PM

463 posts, read 916,684 times
Many modern flatbed scanners will also scan slides. There are also "negative" scanners available. I've got a Minolta negative scanner and can make up to a 130 meg file from a 35mm slide. Best would be to have a copy of Photoshop or Photoshop elements to work the images after you scan them into the computer. That way you can peel back some of the ravages of time. If you don't have a flatbed scanner or negative scanner and don't want to buy one, most photo processors will be able to make a digital image from your slides.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:46 PM

12,812 posts, read 13,537,801 times
I agree with johninvegas on this one. Since a good film/slide scanner costs quite a lot, it's best to let a professional do it for you and then save the photos to a CD. Some flatbed scanners do well (I use an Epson Perfection F700 Photo), but a film scanner does as well or better.

Once you get the photos on a CD, you can work on them further (if you want), with Elements 6 for both the PC or Mac.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:25 AM

15,380 posts, read 22,218,393 times
just make SURE they are as spotless as they can be.....before scanning them

Old 04-12-2008, 08:27 AM

4,258 posts, read 4,149,393 times
What kind of resolution do slide attachments for scanners produce? Does it depend on the scanner itself?

Also, some of my slides seem to have fingerprints on them - is there an easy way to remove them without causing damage to the slide?

Old 04-12-2008, 12:09 PM

15,380 posts, read 22,218,393 times
if they show fingerprints, the damage is already done... kodachrome always seemed to fingerprint badly.......copy and retouch......

Old 04-15-2008, 07:33 PM

2,181 posts, read 4,109,611 times
I have been cleaning my slides for many years...it depends on if it's the emulsion side that is damaged. I would get some pro film cleaner and give it a try. It might work, it might not. First practice on film you don't care about, there is a learning curve involved.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:59 PM

12,812 posts, read 13,537,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
What kind of resolution do slide attachments for scanners produce? Does it depend on the scanner itself?

Also, some of my slides seem to have fingerprints on them - is there an easy way to remove them without causing damage to the slide?
Depends on the scanner and the software for it. For example, I use VueScan with an Epson Perfection V700 (mentioned above), and scan slides around 2700 dpi, but I could also scan them around 4800 dpi. One of the things I like about VueScan is that one can select the "output" image to lets say... an 8" x 10" printed photo of high quality. By doing that, the software automatically adjusts the scan's dpi as high as needed to print such a photo size. One can also set the "output" image for posting on the Internet, and the software automatically adjusts the scan dpi to a much lower level required for posting images online. One can also set the dpi manually as high/low as possible if that's what one wants. The software is just taking a shortcut so the user does not have to worry about the correct dpi needed to accomplish the task( it calculates the correct dpi for you). Epson V700 and V750 scanners include Epson Scan software, and also SilverFast ( a professional scanning software), but I bought VueScan for its ease of use and scan quality. VueScan costs $39.00, and $79.00 for the Pro version. This version adds a few things over the standard version, but is geared for professional photo work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography