Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 10:01 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
our website watermarks our photos . i have no idea how secure though

That watermark would be quite easy to remove, it really comes down to how much "destruction" of the artistic quality is acceptable. This is basic example, the texture is given a higher transparency the closer it gets to the edge thus it transitions nice from the watermark to the image. This also make it much more difficult to remove because you dealing with a texture that is not uniform in transparency.

You should also consider using smaller images, off higher resolution samples through email contact.

Last edited by thecoalman; 08-01-2020 at 05:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 10:16 AM

I spent about 30 seconds removing first M.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
PITB so easier to pay more for watermark.

Using Irfanview you can do batch resize, watermark them and ave as new file even with altered file names with a few clicks. In your photo editor just create a watermark as new image with transparent background, the size should be relative to how much you want it to cover the image of the photos you are watermarking. For example if the image is 1200*1200 you might want to do something like 400*400. Texture it as described above, set the transparency on the entire image and save as .png. In the batch options within Irfanview you set the position to any corner or the center.

The watermark should look something like this.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:20 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,429,872 times
Quote:
Have any of you photographers had someone steal your image off your website to resell? This has happened to me. I was playing around with Reversee, an iPad app, that researches your photos to see if they appear elsewhere on line. Imagine my surprise when I discovered an eBay selling selling one of my Lzzy Hale of Halestorm photos.

It is bad enough to find them on Pinterest but this seller is making money from my image. My website state all images are copyrighted and that info is in the exif info. They are also right click protected.

I sent an email to an address suggested by one of my FB groups for concert photographers to eBay to research this. I am beyond ticked off especially since I have not sold that image from my website.

What did you do if this happened to you?
If this is the case, report them to ebay. If you put photos up on your website either use low image quality so that if enlarged they look awful or put a watermark on them.

Old 01-25-2019, 01:02 PM

106,654 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I spent about 30 seconds removing first M.

i had a feeling it was pretty easy

Old 01-25-2019, 05:18 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,972 times
Quote:
Have any of you photographers had someone steal your image off your website to resell? This has happened to me. I was playing around with Reversee, an iPad app, that researches your photos to see if they appear elsewhere on line. Imagine my surprise when I discovered an eBay selling selling one of my Lzzy Hale of Halestorm photos.

It is bad enough to find them on Pinterest but this seller is making money from my image. My website state all images are copyrighted and that info is in the exif info. They are also right click protected.

I sent an email to an address suggested by one of my FB groups for concert photographers to eBay to research this. I am beyond ticked off especially since I have not sold that image from my website.

What did you do if this happened to you?
Being a huge Halestorm fan, I feel I can offer some feedback.

Going forward, I'd suggest you not post full size/quality images to your site. If you do, watermark them. Make it a transparent watermark that covers the entire subject of the photo. Not something that can be cropped out.

While impractical to sue a seller for less than thousands of dollars, eBay seems pretty responsive in curbing illegal copyrighted material distribution, as well as inappropriate items for sale on their platform.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:42 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,484,217 times
Okay, I went into settings and checked out display size. The info says: Keep your hi-res photos safe by limiting the public display size. The lowest setting is .3Mpix(M) so since that is the last option, it must be the one with the least resolution. I can’t copy and paste the others. They begin at Original, All but original, TV and computer (4K), iPhone 6+ (x5), iPad retina (x4), Low res 2Mpix (x3), 1.2Mpix (x2), 0.7 Mpix (XL), 0.5 Mpix (L), and 0.3 Mpix (M). Did I choose the smallest res from the options? I am not a techy; my photography passion is from my artist background and talent.

Could someone change my settings? I do not understand hackers or how they do this. I think for the amount this person is charging ($7.99), it wouldn’t have been worth their time. I am thinking that they just did a screen shot of my high res image although I chose original which is 2848 x 4256 and 2.6mb from a Nikon D700 back in 2012. My download button is OFF. These settings are in the Security and Sharing sub settings.

I want to thank this community for your help. Thank-you for taking the time to assist me.

Yes, Halestorm is awesome. I have photographed them twice now up front. Lzzy is a multi-talented musician. I hope that the band didn’t use my image as a promo photo without my permission. The seller identified it as such. The seller is only selling one photo.

I just received the Notice of Claimed Infringement (NOCI) form from eBay so I will complete as a PDF, sign and return. I will let you all know what they say.

A few years ago I was sitting next to this other photographer at a concert and we shared business cards. Later I checked him out on Flickr and noticed that he posted my KISS images as his. Huh, what? He was a nice guy, too. I emailed him to ask to take them down. I told him that I couldn’t believe that someone he spoke with at a concert would stoop to claiming that person’s photos as his own. He complied by removing them. I did warn him that I would notify Flickr if they weren’t. I guess he liked them. They were decent shots but the ones more recent are better.

Maybe it is better to post on FB for sharing but I am

Old 01-25-2019, 07:11 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,972 times
Quote:
Okay, I went into settings and checked out display size. The info says: Keep your hi-res photos safe by limiting the public display size. The lowest setting is .3Mpix(M) so since that is the last option, it must be the one with the least resolution. I can’t copy and paste the others. They begin at Original, All but original, TV and computer (4K), iPhone 6+ (x5), iPad retina (x4), Low res 2Mpix (x3), 1.2Mpix (x2), 0.7 Mpix (XL), 0.5 Mpix (L), and 0.3 Mpix (M). Did I choose the smallest res from the options? I am not a techy; my photography passion is from my artist background and talent.

Could someone change my settings? I do not understand hackers or how they do this. I think for the amount this person is charging ($7.99), it wouldn’t have been worth their time. I am thinking that they just did a screen shot of my high res image although I chose original which is 2848 x 4256 and 2.6mb from a Nikon D700 back in 2012. My download button is OFF. These settings are in the Security and Sharing sub settings.

I want to thank this community for your help. Thank-you for taking the time to assist me.

Yes, Halestorm is awesome. I have photographed them twice now up front. Lzzy is a multi-talented musician. I hope that the band didn’t use my image as a promo photo without my permission. The seller identified it as such. The seller is only selling one photo.

I just received the Notice of Claimed Infringement (NOCI) form from eBay so I will complete as a PDF, sign and return. I will let you all know what they say.

A few years ago I was sitting next to this other photographer at a concert and we shared business cards. Later I checked him out on Flickr and noticed that he posted my KISS images as his. Huh, what? He was a nice guy, too. I emailed him to ask to take them down. I told him that I couldn’t believe that someone he spoke with at a concert would stoop to claiming that person’s photos as his own. He complied by removing them. I did warn him that I would notify Flickr if they weren’t. I guess he liked them. They were decent shots but the ones more recent are better.

Maybe it is better to post on FB for sharing but I am
Are we the same person? Lol I Saw Kiss on their Farewell Tour, Skid Row and the Nuge opened up for them! 2000 I believe. PM me. I have some great photos from Motley Crue.

0.3 MP is good to show something to identify it without it being a quality worth selling/stealing. Any larger and I'd watermark it.

https://www.visualwatermark.com/

Old 01-25-2019, 07:25 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,484,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Are we the same person? Lol I Saw Kiss on their Farewell Tour, Skid Row and the Nuge opened up for them! 2000 I believe. PM me. I have some great photos from Motley Crue.

0.3 MP is good to show something to identify it without it being a quality worth selling/stealing. Any larger and I'd watermark it.

https://www.visualwatermark.com/
Okay, that is what I will use. We must be the same person, lol. I had to shoot Motley Crue from the soundboard. Nikki Six had to handpick the photographers so we had to wait until the last minute to find out if we were the chosen, lol. They do put on a great show. Also, we couldn’t post them on our website nor shoot from the audience. I had a fourth row and center seat.

Last edited by xPlorer48; 01-25-2019 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: More info

Old 01-25-2019, 11:33 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
I was a long time poster on this forum. I posted several images daily.

One day,several years ago, I received a call from a business associate, and good friend, while he was working in Europe.

Seems one of my images was on a travel billboard. He and I both knew it was mine because of people in the background. Plus, I hadn't PhotoShopped it yet and the telephone wires were still in the pic

I contacted the travel company and was basically told tough s**t

Our company's European lawyers tried to help me. nada!

I stopped posting my images here, or anywhere online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography