Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2012, 05:24 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,188 times

Advertisements

Looking for the best lighting for say small products such as jewelry or accessories..

I have tried creating a DIY lightbox but it still has this kind of yellow overcast.

I have considered a photo tent--> I read that you can use any type of lamp with it (like a desklamp) as long as the lightbulb is bright/daylight

Has anyone ever used it ?
Any ideas or tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 10:02 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
I have a little light tent just like that and it works great. However, that's not the source of your yellow cast. The yellow was most likely caused by using a tungsten light source, or a lesser possibly is that it was induced by whatever fabric you used for diffusing the light. If you use the same the light source, you'll have the same color issue with this tent. There are ways of color-correcting for tungsten; the easiest way is that your camera probably has a tungsten light setting, or you can set a custom white balance. However, your better bet is to use a better source of light. Even then, you should still learn how to use custom white balance for best results.

You can use continuous light (as in your desk lamp idea), or you can use flashes. Either way, one of them really isn't sufficient for product photography like this. I would plan on using two or three lights -- one on either side, and maybe another one directly over the box. Your best lights will come using flashes. But that's expensive and may be a bit complicated for your needs. The second-best way is to use cheap clamp-on light sockets with reflectors, and daylight corrected (5000K) compact fluorescent lights (CFLs).

These fixtures are around $6 each and work great. Obviously, you'll need to build some sort of stand over the box to clamp the lights on.

Best sure to use Daylight bulbs. That's very important. Something like these will do you. 16-Watt (65W) R30 Daylight CFL Light Bulbs (2-Pack)-ES5R316250K at The Home Depot

If you go with CFLs, you'll want to use a slow shutter speed. (The reason is that fluorescent lights actually blink like strobe lights very rapidly. By using a long shutterspeed, you'll be shooting through at least one full cycle of the light. Otherwise, your shot may contain just some random portion of the blink sine wave and you'll get inconsistent results.) Low ISO and a small aperture will allow you to achieve that slow shutterspeed. You want it to be less than 1/60s. Also use a tripod, that's essential for best results.

If you use flash, you can use a faster shutterspeed and most likely even hand-hold your shots and still get good results. However, not everyone owns and knows how to use multiple off-camera flashes. It's not hard actually, and I can go further into it if you want.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:31 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
So did that help at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography