Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 08:13 PM

1,401 posts, read 3,772,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
ShepsMom - the camera I'm looking at is the Panasonic FZ50. The lens has these specs. I have a Panasonic right now and have been happy with the Leica lens. Your note on flash is helpful...I need to read up on it some more. I love playing with light!
Leica: some of the BEST glass out there!

I sell Panasonics on my bar, and they also have one of the fastest rated shutter times out there....I sell a lot of them, and NEVER see them come back. They do take very, very good images.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Oops, ya beat me to it Azka....LOL Quick little devil you are!
*Grin* once again, you know me all to well eh????

LOL!!!!!

The camera Sans mentions by Fuji, was also on my bar, for about a month, and now I can't get them to save my life....they are well worth the price tag, and the one thing I love about that Fuji, is the film emulation modes. The camera actually has settings, that emulate films, one of which is a favorite of mine, Fuji Velvia Slide Film. That's one seriously NICE feature of that camera, and I haven't heard of any other manufacturer doing that yet....

Old 06-29-2008, 08:21 PM

33,522 posts, read 37,121,123 times
By the way Azka, I have to thank you for advising me to buy the high speed memory card...It loads like a flash, and is just as quick to erase...I use the bracketing and burst modes a lot, so the speed sure helps!

Old 06-29-2008, 08:23 PM

Anytime Sans, anytime. I got the 4gb SDHC Ultima myself for the P80..its almost like having a 455 Rocket under the hood! LOL!

Old 06-29-2008, 08:28 PM

And you know, that's another feature about digitals that doesn't get mentioned much.

The media cards.

There are slow cards, and fast cards, and then there are REALLY fast cards.

Your basic SD's write at about 2 mb/sec give or take..depends on the manufacturer.

Then you have the Platinum's made by Lexar, that write at about 9 mb/sec. That's considerably faster.

The fastest ones, are mostly in the new SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity) lines, and they write at 15mb/sec!!! Rocket!

So what does a faster card do for you? The answer is that it cuts down the lag time between shots. When you snap the photo the camera has to 'write' the image to the card, a faster card, saves the image faster, thus cutting the lag time between photos down considerably.

Its a matter of personal choice, but I myself, like to be able to 'shoot on the fly', and if I'm not using my DSLR, I want the P80 to be as fast as it can, and a high speeder (SDHC) is the best option.

So it might be something you may want to look at as well, when purchasing a new camera, ask if the camera can support the new SDHC fast cards.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:29 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkadellia View Post
Leica: some of the BEST glass out there!

I sell Panasonics on my bar, and they also have one of the fastest rated shutter times out there....I sell a lot of them, and NEVER see them come back. They do take very, very good images.
Looks like I'm on the right track then, but I'll review the link you posted. I did not know you sold cameras...a bar? Please send me a DM...

Thanks for all the good recommendations here...very helpful. Hopefully, I wouldn't have to use that hot flash...I try not to use the flash. That's how I get away from the "No Flash Photography" rule in many places, so I was hoping for very high ISO's and good image stabilization to compensate for that. Yes...been very satisfied with the Leica lens. I like this camera because the zoom is now manual on the ring. I hate the delay in zooming when it's on a toggle...plus, it startles the dog when I try to take his picture! This way, I can steal shots of him from afar. I also don't have pics of me and hubby...I'm the photographer and I don't have pics. The one of me and him last Thanksgiving was taken by DD and when cropped...geez, the graininess and sound was pathetic. I need an upgrade in every possible category. I have just outgrown the applications of the old one I have.

Edit: I checked the link ShepsM provided. It does take the SDHC card.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:36 PM

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet I'll send ya a DM

Old 06-29-2008, 08:44 PM

The display models of cameras I sell are on a "live bar" that has power to each camera so they can be picked up and 'tested out'. Each is on a 'launch pad' that has security alarms going to them. Its a nice display, its 16 feet long, and has roughly 50 cameras, all brands, from under $100 to $799.

I enjoy helping people find the camera for their individual needs. Most times I'm told that its nice to find someone willing to take the time to really help them find the right thing. I just enjoy it!

Old 06-29-2008, 08:48 PM

33,522 posts, read 37,121,123 times
I bought the Lexar 4 gig pro card. It has a speed of just under 20 mb/sec, and it wasn't all that expensive. Their fastest card is rated at 45 mb/sec, but is only available in 8 gb and is a UDMA card, whatever that is.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:17 PM

UDMA's....serious cheese here folks....and seriously for pros,(or anyone else with a need for speed) and cameras that can support them. Ultra Direct Memory Access....

Here's the skinny:
Lexar – Compact Flash Memory Cards – Professional UDMA 300x (http://lexar.com/digfilm/cf_udma.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography