Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2008, 09:13 AM

657 posts, read 1,788,407 times

Advertisements

Old 08-11-2008, 09:29 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,451,718 times
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii226/shipm8pb/Forums/e0e835e2.jpg (broken link)

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii226/shipm8pb/Forums/4a3548c5.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-11-2008, 10:15 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
There is a time to speak up and there is a time to just let things slide by. This time, it is probably the latter, but it is just not in my nature to do so. My first participation in this forum was slightly marred by a misinterpatation of the rules in the monthly photo contest. The rules have since been cleared up, but the experience still leaves a bad taste in my mouth... to the point were I will not enter the monthly contest even still.

Thank you for expressing your concerns!
As far as i'm aware, the Monthly Contest is pretty much in it's testing grounds. Some like it annonymous, some don't, some like one topic and others don't like the topic and wont participate. There is no pleasing anyone, really.
We're trying to do annonymous entry for the 2nd time, and i know i've got some great entries so far!!
I hope Alpha will chime in, as he is the one running the contest.

Quote:
The reason I bring this up is that here we are, deep into the 9th assignment and there are only a handful of us actually following the rules clearly stated in the original post. There are but a few rules... the one about time (I know how imporant that one is) and the one about size. The one about size even provides additional help if needed.
Maybe I gave the 'teacher' too hard of a time about the timing issue, but where has the strick teacher (I have learned to appriciate) gone? Why not just do away with rules altogether?
The rules clearly stated for each assignment. It is up to participants to be honest and follow the rules. Timing, i can't possibly check every picture that is taken to see when it was taken, but if it's obvious, i will mention it to the person entering the assignment. If i ask for EXIF data, i might confuse some people, as they don't have either ability or knowledge how to provide the data.
When i ask for timing, i ask for pictures to be submitted on the day or after of the assignment, there is no ending to the assignement, as long as it is NOT before the assignment date, it's perfectly fine. I can't remove pictures that do not follow rules, i don't have the ability.
But then again, if i ask too much, someone will complain.

Quote:
Oh... and I am still waiting for you great photographers to give me pointers on how to become better. Even the board jerk needs advise.
I would love to have a Critique sticky for just that one reason. I asked couple of mods and even Admin. to provide me with info or how to go about adding one. I wasn't as lucky with the request. Thre is something about the "popularity" of the subject, or whatnot. If Alpha can provide more info, it would be great!

All in all, i understand we all want to have fun, rules or no rules, everything is in good spirit. The original intent for Contests or Assisngments is to get you guys up and go to shoot something/someone... (that didn't sound right....)

Here is my observation. We have 2 kinds of people that like to visit photo forum:

1. People who are into photography and are serious, they come here to participate, give advise, learn from other, and have fun

2. People who LIKE photography, but they come here to just share their photos. They have no interest of learning more then they already know.

With that said, this forum is not targeted to "just serious" photogs, this board is for all levels and types of photogs. Some learn, some dont.
Whatever we do, we are trying to have fun and learn the best way possible. Of course, i would be thrilled to see people "follow rules" and participate every single time, but that's just impossible.
I really don't know how to approach this, i feel like : "You're damned if you do, damned if you don't."

I hope that you all stay here, post pictures, participate, debate, complain, cry and laugh.....

Old 08-11-2008, 10:45 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Bull IF you ask what we think Believe me they will tell you. A few months ago [when the contest was on buildings] I asked WOW...they tore me a new...well you get the point. So brace yourself. Another poster wanted to learn to take Micro...so she asked. That thread is miles long with advice based on her camera [and a few others cause I too asked] And remember What you ask Helps a lot of us. While we dont particapate with questions we sure learn a lot just by reading the advice.
And yes I have improved to the point that I get compliments now. BUT on the other end IF I make a mistake they know I can take it And they tell me!

I tell you something else I have learned. Not just How to take a good pic. But how to explain WHY I like a pic that has been taken. hhmmm maybe I can learn enough to become a critic

Last edited by Katie1; 08-11-2008 at 10:57 AM..

Old 08-11-2008, 11:15 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,451,718 times
I don't know enough to give anybody advice, I see something that catches my eye and I shoot it....usually with automatic camera settings.... I am not qualified to criticize either. I admit to not resizing my photos to 600px on the longest side but I don't post them huge either, usually 800px or less for these assignments. This is not a contest, have fun!

Old 08-11-2008, 11:59 AM

1,401 posts, read 3,773,974 times
You know, this issue is as dead as the dinosaurs. We've been over it and over it.

I don't see the problem with asking for 'fresh' imagery, HOWEVER, I do believe that some exceptions can be made, if you just shot it, say within a month of the assignment, to me that is still pretty darn 'fresh'. A shot taken four or five YEARS ago, nope not fresh, not at all.

Critique was once mentioned in the rules, I'll be happy to critique, if that's what some want. That's not an issue, the only problem is what's already been mentioned: I may come off as too technical, and offend, or I may critique one way, and another may come up with something completely different, and leave the poster who wanted the critique even more confused than when they started. Double edged sword.

So here's my suggestion from the floor for what its worth:

Keep it simple, make it fun. Too many rules may scare some folks off. If you WANT critiqued on the shot ASK to be so, and those of us who want to, WILL critique you, but decide up front if you can take a critique that might not be to your liking. Decide if you can take constructive criticism, and improve on your technique.

I've had to do this during juried art shows, and I can tell you, its nothing pleasant to have a piece of your worked picked apart and every little thing looked at, and suddenly a shot you thought was a serious winner, is actually far from it.

And now, before I shut the sam hell up, I'll say something I said once before:

When we start picking gnat crap out of pepper, the fun goes right out of this.

Bottom line: Participate or don't. Its NOT damned rocket science! BUT if you choose to participate, read the rules, abide, and go from there.....

My buck and 98 cents worth (hey inflation you know) and now I am going to shut the sam hell up...

Old 08-11-2008, 01:18 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,821 times
I want you to know that I knew there was no way to address this stuff without coming off like a horses arse. Hey, if the horse shoe fits. I was not trying to break the spirit of these assignments, as it was not set up as a contest or anything. As I remember it, it was set up as a method to bounce ideas and suggestions around as a way to help us beginners (and others) get better. Right up front it was said that if you cannot take some constructive critique then be wary of posting.
Hey, its all green. I was in no way trying to
Quote:
start picking gnat crap out of pepper
I was just wondering how far from the purpose of these assignments we were going to stray. Its A-OK in my book... photo contest means ONE photo and rules/guidelines are for the weak at heart. I will save my feather ruffling for other boards in which I participate.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:52 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
I was just wondering how far from the purpose of these assignments we were going to stray.
If you stray too far, then there is no reason for assignments. I find it fun to come up with the theme, and i think it's fun for you guys to go and find something relating to the theme given. Or may be it is not fun? You tell me.
So, that was my initial intend for the assignments. Otherwise, i see no point.

It's all good, but i do like to see Critique forum as a sticky.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:09 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
If you stray too far, then there is no reason for assignments. I find it fun to come up with the theme, and i think it's fun for you guys to go and find something relating to the theme given. Or may be it is not fun? You tell me.
As far as I am concerned, its a blast. I jumped the rules a tad on one assignment and faced the consequences (), but I enjoy participating. And I think you do an excellent job in picking the themes. As I said, I knew I would come off negative by bring anything up, but I was not trying to be.
Alpha brought up the limited amount of stickies allow per forum so perhaps a thread is the way to go in regards to critique and constructive ideas. I realize that you also have a day job and your time (not unlike most of us) is limited here. I, for one, appreciate the time you spend and the help you offer.
Can I take this horse shoe off yet??!!

Old 08-11-2008, 02:15 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Thank you for expressing your concerns!
As far as i'm aware, the Monthly Contest is pretty much in it's testing grounds. Some like it annonymous, some don't, some like one topic and others don't like the topic and wont participate. There is no pleasing anyone, really.
We're trying to do annonymous entry for the 2nd time, and i know i've got some great entries so far!!
I hope Alpha will chime in, as he is the one running the contest.
I just saw this and in the future you guys might wanna flag me to come read these. I haven't had the time to follow or participate in the assignments but I think I'm going to start soon.

Correct me if I'm wrong, bdf, but your post is specifically about the 'Assignment' threads, right?

I do wish you'd reconsider on the contests because I feel like you'd bring a lot to the contests and I hate to see anyone miss out on fun and good times just because of the principle on a misunderstanding or disagreement. I think most (if not all) would join me in begging you for your best 'Back To School' pic in this month's contest.

You might be the only one able to beat me

(Yeah, I'm trying to smack-talk you into playing)

Anyway, I'm pretty sure your issues in this thread were on the assignment thing and I have not been doing anything on those.

They are all ShepsMom's to handle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography