Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 03:02 PM

46 posts, read 31,089 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I was hoping someone could suggest me a camera. Never used any type of camera aside from a camera phone and one of those small digital cameras, but that was a while ago. I'm not looking to make a career out of this, but I am looking to start a new hobby that doesn't include video games, youtube, or just sitting in front of a monitor all day. I've been wanting to get into photography for a while, but have no idea where to start. I just really wanna go out to places and take photos of scenery and of course friends and family. Any suggestions on what camera to get for right now? I'm sure as I get better at it I'll upgrade to a better camera.

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 05:51 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,417,068 times
Honestly?

Absolutely Any camera with "manual" mode will do, and I'm pretty sure that there are advanced camera apps that'll do that on your phone.

But, beyond that so you can get some real help...

What's your total budget?

How big of a package do you want to haul everywhere?

Old 07-28-2017, 07:33 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,311,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Honestly?

Absolutely Any camera with "manual" mode will do, and I'm pretty sure that there are advanced camera apps that'll do that on your phone.

But, beyond that so you can get some real help...

What's your total budget?

How big of a package do you want to haul everywhere?
Yeah, you can do great things on a cell phone camera nowadays. What cell phone do you (OP) have? Unless it's a very old one with a poor camera, I'd recommend learning how to maximize that camera first and if you find that isn't sufficient, then spend money on something else.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:39 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Buy a cheaper ultrazoom camera and learn how to use the settings before you spend big bucks on a dslr and lenses. Take a beginners class.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:22 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,311,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Buy a cheaper ultrazoom camera and learn how to use the settings before you spend big bucks on a dslr and lenses. Take a beginners class.
Unless the person wants to zoom in on things far away (like birds) often, I don't think this offers enough of an advantage over a good cell phone. The superzoom probably won't even have a meaningfully bigger sensor than a Galaxy cell phone camera unless it's an expensive superzoom.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:43 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
A lot of us went through the same dilemma as the OP. For that reason I would recommend an entry-level DSLR camera from Canon, Nikon, and the rest. Go to the local stores (below), handle the entry-level cameras they have, and write the brand/model. Use this information and watch the photo tutorials and camera/kit lens comparisons shown at "youtube.com." That will give you an idea what you want.

I noticed at most entry-level cameras are sold at the local Sam's Club, Walmart, and the rest. Just go to one of those stores and buy an entry level-camera with the kit lens. Don't spend too much on gadgets that you won't need, because this is what will happen to you sooner or later (without getting into details): you will want more than the entry-level camera and lens you have.

"Been there, done that."

Old 07-29-2017, 04:11 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
The nice thing about getting a Nikon or Canon DSLR is that both have a huge catalog of new, used, and compatible third party lenses and equipment, so if you get into photography more deeply you have access to pretty much anything you'd need or want at a variety of price points. It gives a lot of options for lenses in particular, so you can easily specialize if you get into a particular type of photography (e.g. night shooting, sports, etc.). Since the components are interchangeable within a particular mount system and these are the most prevalent mounts, there's a big market for resale as well if you want to stepping-stone gradually into higher-end equipment and/or keep up-to-date.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:59 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,145,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
A lot of us went through the same dilemma as the OP.

"Been there, done that."
What I wish I'd done when also at "been there/done that" was buy something that essentially forced me to learn. I'd have unlearned lazy habits, fast. Cell cameras and indeed most portables, and some (though clearly not all) DSLRs make taking good shots easy.

By and large, that is clearly a great thing! More great shots, more happy people! I've taken some stupendous shots by accident, in all immodestly. Only a few of those, from 10K or so frames, but still. My cell phones, with increasingly nice cameras, caught one or two of those shots. My D70S and D7000, still others. Those are way-easy DSLRs btw, from back in the day. A few more, from a Canon S95, which briefly was the pinnacle of "pocket" cams, c. 2011.

Ah: but here's the suggestion. End of '14, my then-boss, someone who has forgotten more about photography than I may ever learn, loaned me a FujiFilm X100S. A camera that really has no "Auto" mode, at-best maybe the equivalent of "P" mode found on some DSLRs (camera handles the ISO).

You're essentially forced to play at least a little with ISO, shutter speed, and aperture. White balance and other factors can be set to auto, though it helps to adjust those too. Oh: fixed focal length lens, APS-C equivalent of 35mm. You must move around the subject to properly frame it.

So, it's actually work to compose, set things up correctly, and take the shot. But it can be done quickly enough, the controls are not super difficult.

I was forced to learn. OP wants to learn. Just a thought. Downside is the series is expensive, though the T has now been superseded by the F: X100, X100S, X100T, now X100F. OP may wish to look for a refurbished T at relatively low cost, or a Used-Good Condition, for (at current) about $800. I bought a T, when they were new, c. November 2014. I really enjoy it for street photography, when I have time to really think about what I'm doing. Might keep it, may trade up to the F at some point.

OP will sure learn. And fast. And be a better photographer, end of the day, as I am presumably.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:42 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,012,754 times
I went with the Nikon D3300. I intended to buy a Canon T6i, but I did about a week's worth of research and discovered that the 3300 had a SLIGHTLY better sensor (not that it matters, but the price was comparable). I went with the 3300 over the 3400 because the 3400 doesn't have a microphone jack and I do videos as well. That said, I got a body, lens, strap, memory card, and battery for about $400-ish?

Old 07-31-2017, 10:19 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
I went with the Nikon D3300. I intended to buy a Canon T6i, but I did about a week's worth of research and discovered that the 3300 had a SLIGHTLY better sensor (not that it matters, but the price was comparable). I went with the 3300 over the 3400 because the 3400 doesn't have a microphone jack and I do videos as well. That said, I got a body, lens, strap, memory card, and battery for about $400-ish?
Not a bad deal.

In reality the difference in sensors between the two is minor compared to lens lineup. Camera bodies can be upgraded. A lot of the lenses are a lot more expensive than camera bodies, but you can use them from one body to the next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography