U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-08-2008, 09:47 AM

131,643 posts, read 42,001,474 times
Default al servo

I love to take rapid action photos. These 6 images where captured in approx. 7/10 of a second. Brown pelicans are circling and dive bombing for their lunch. I took several sequences of them as they where feeding. This is a most practical mode to shoot in for action sports. Wile these birds are in motion these are designed to be stop action shots. I've done no real edits on the images other than to crop and size for the grouping. If you like this kind of action images please drop in and post your favorites.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 09:48 AM

3,427 posts, read 6,465,767 times
Nice set. Where is the catch??

Old 09-08-2008, 09:50 AM

He missed. Maybe next time. I'm going back to do it again earlier in the day with better light. Maybe a sequence of 12 shots will get the fish going down the hatch.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:18 AM

3,427 posts, read 6,465,767 times
I'll be waiting for the meal!

Old 09-08-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
I'll be waiting for the meal!
Well I had my fish sandwich last night at Burger King. Sometimes ya got to do what ya got to do. Pelicans aren't allowed there though..

Old 09-08-2008, 03:02 PM

1,506 posts, read 2,271,638 times
True story #1.While growing up (oh... just a couple of years ago), my next door neighbor's name was Al Servano. He was anything but photogenic. Every time I see that setting on my camera I shudder at the thought of a rapid fire batch of shots of ugly 'ol Al. Ugly I say.
True Story #2. One time while out in the early morning woods I accidentally set my camera to this setting (hey, it was still rather dark). An ordinary robin landed not too far away and I figured I would shoot a test shot. I ended up with about ten out of focus shots of a blur that looked like modeling clay in some sticks and twigs, in like two seconds.
I have yet to really use al servo on purpose as of yet.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
True story #1.While growing up (oh... just a couple of years ago), my next door neighbor's name was Al Servano. He was anything but photogenic. Every time I see that setting on my camera I shudder at the thought of a rapid fire batch of shots of ugly 'ol Al. Ugly I say.
True Story #2. One time while out in the early morning woods I accidentally set my camera to this setting (hey, it was still rather dark). An ordinary robin landed not too far away and I figured I would shoot a test shot. I ended up with about ten out of focus shots of a blur that looked like modeling clay in some sticks and twigs, in like two seconds.
I have yet to really use al servo on purpose as of yet.
When the 10 point buck runs broadside to you it is nice to have on. Or when a bunch of turkeys take flight. My number on use has been kids on horses. 10-20 frames in a sequence and lots of sequences. And they are far from ugly so I guess I did OK. The 6.4 frames a sec on that 40D is a plus for it. The new 50D slowed down to 6.3 frames a sec. Small price to pay for half again more resolution. Maybe you can shoot some birds in flight with that new toy. Of course you need to use the auto focus and only the 300mm lens. You maybe pleasantly surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography