U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 10:23 AM

2,991 posts, read 5,303,279 times
Default I am in awe with my Canon Rebel

I waited on my front porch steps in anticipation to see "the big brown truck" pull up to the curb. He asked me if I had been waiting there since yesterday. We laughed.

The one thing I have to get used to is using the view finder. I'm going to the park right now. I'm sure I'll have something to share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 10:41 AM

131,664 posts, read 41,119,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
I waited on my front porch steps in anticipation to see "the big brown truck" pull up to the curb. He asked me if I had been waiting there since yesterday. We laughed.

The one thing I have to get used to is using the view finder. I'm going to the park right now. I'm sure I'll have something to share.
Well congrats are in order. Now for the shock and awe??

Old 09-16-2008, 11:31 AM

11,760 posts, read 17,324,596 times
Its definitely a switch to go from an LCD screen to a viewfinder, but you'll get the hang of it.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:34 AM

5,972 posts, read 11,626,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post

Wow! You don't waste any time do you? Show us what that baby can do!

Old 09-16-2008, 12:14 PM

2,077 posts, read 3,972,612 times
Happy Shooting!!!!!!!

Old 09-16-2008, 12:21 PM

Thank you, everyone. Not just for the nice words, but helping me through this big step. For this camera, I loooooove that everything is at my fingertips.

Some settings aren't available with the lens it came with..... but I'm making the best of what I do have, which is 10x better than my P&S.

Keep in mind that this is one of my first shots with the Canon, the bee just wouldn't sit still though

Old 09-16-2008, 12:45 PM

131,664 posts, read 41,119,048 times
These two tools in your camera will be of much help as you find them and learn just how to make them work for you:
AF Point Selection
Automatic selection, manual selection

Spot metering (approx. 4% of viewfinder at center)

Manual selection of the focal point will connect the spot metering feature to the subject. Try it you will see. Best wishes. Hope you are having fun and not stressing. You have a large leaning curve ahead. And once more because I need to hear it myself. "Rome wasn't built in a day". Now I must listen to myself. I want Rome and the rest of the world today. Not tomorrow. Just my nature.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:48 PM

2,077 posts, read 3,972,612 times
***** Critique Time*****

Ready FedupWNY.......

1.) Take notes of your shots. Reason: so you can reproduce the same quality to a different subject.

2.) It looks like your focal lock was on the bee and flower. Unfortunately, it looks slightly blurry. Was it windy? What was you shutter speed? What was you ISO setting? Were you too close for your minimum focal length?

3.) It looks like you were shooting from above. Try different angles, ie. kneel down.

4.) Compostion is important. You have the chain link fence in the background.

5.) Keep Shooting!!!! Experiment!!!! And Have FUN!!!!!

I hope I wasn't too harsh. Sorry. I just want you to get a good start to your photographic experience. Hopefully I haven't discouraged you,yet! I get critique with my images by collegues and clients all the time. It's a little shake up but it makes me to get out there and do better. I've been in photography for over 25 years and a working photographer for 15 years. And I'm still learning!!!!!! Don't give up!!! You're doing GREAT!!!!!!

Old 09-16-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
I hope I wasn't too harsh. Sorry. I just want you to get a good start to your photographic experience. Hopefully I haven't discouraged you,yet! I get critique with my images by collegues and clients all the time. It's a little shake up but it makes me to get out there and do better. I've been in photography for over 25 years and a working photographer for 15 years. And I'm still learning!!!!!! Don't give up!!! You're doing GREAT!!!!!!
You're not being harsh at all. For one of my first pictures with the camera, I think, while I have much work to do, it came out better than expected. I love the advice, and you explained it great. I'm still so very new to learning & trying different shooting. Thank you brikag.

Was it windy? ---- no, but very sunny.
What was you shutter speed? -----I was under an auto setting, originally I wanted to try marco on the flowers until I saw the bee.
What was you ISO setting? -----auto
Were you too close for your minimum focal length? ----- I used the zoom standing over the shot. I made the bee shot my starting point though.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:12 PM

519 posts, read 1,269,626 times
I can make one suggestion, visit Home - Glass and Gear and Welcome to LensProToGo where we rent quality camera lenses for your next shoot This is something I wish i would have known about when I started out with my DSLR! It would have saved me a lot of cash on lenses I just didn't need! Congrats on your purchase, and keep the new photos coming!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography