Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2008, 01:01 PM

5 posts, read 19,581 times

Advertisements

I did a search for a simliar post, but I didn't find one. Hopefully I'm not double posting, if so, just let me know and I'll take my question to that post instead.

Anyway, while there really isn't an easy way to introduce myself. I'm a young and very aspiring photographer in the Northern Mass area. I've been shooting pictures off and on for about 5 years, but it's been more of a habit for the past 1 to 2 years.

I don't consider myself a professional by any means, especially when compared to other people's work. And while I've taught myself quite a bit about my camera and photoshop, I'm still learning and striving to learn more.

My main question, for this post anyway, is:
How do photographers get/create these types of pictures?
((These pictures were pulled from the Nikon website as contest winners.))

It's the look, not the actual picture.

For instance, I know (basically) how to capture picture #2. While the model could potentially be upside down, basically you have them throw their hair back and use lighting + shutter speed to "capture" the picture.

Looking at the picture, I can "guess" that there is one softbox, and possibly one strobe. But... looking at the skin and the highlights of her hair, its almost metalic/silver. It's not the first time I've seen this effect, and I'm curious how to accomplish it.

I know some people don't like to hand out free advise, but I also know that it never hurts to ask.
Can anyone point me into the right direction to give some of my pictures 'that' look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 01:42 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,167,793 times
#1, looks like shot was taken from the helicopter
#2, studio shot, with FAN blowing from underneath the model. Metallic look is a Photoshop work. Nothing magical here. Light positioning is what you need to learn to achieve the lighting effect.
Hope this helps somewhat.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:42 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,934,255 times
1.) looks like it was taken while riding on a boat from behind using a fast shutter speed.

2.) That is old time aged trick. A good hairstylist and a make-up artist. Nowadays with modeling photography, the photo editor's only concern is how to make the model look taller and thinner. Changing/enhancing make-up is too time consuming for publishers to mess with. They want the cleanest image with minimal alterations. I should know b/c I got out of that business years ago. God, I hated those days!

Old 09-18-2008, 06:56 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,037,321 times
I agree with #1 comments... super fast shutter speed. I have taken some fountain shots and "stopping" the water in mid air requires big speeds.
In regards to #2 shot, I can offer no opinion. Indoor shots are for wimps who are afraid to get outside! No, I kid... I just do not care to shoot indoors. Studios hardly have any bugs and almost no birds. The flowers are dieing and the animals are freaked out. I will leave the studio questions for the professionals.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:14 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,695,886 times
Photography is all about the right lighting and timing.

Tim C.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:59 AM

What photo-editing program has the
"Nostalgia" effect?

A friend of mine, after seeing photo-one, suggested that it looks like an effect similar to Nostalgia, but she couldn't remember if it was Lightroom or Photoshop Elements.

I was curious if anyone could narrow it down for me any?

Old 09-22-2008, 12:24 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,167,793 times
I'm not familiar with Nostalgia effect, i didn't know that was a preset.You can probably google actions/effects online and see what comes up.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:34 PM

Funny you should mention that. I'll be trying again when I'm at home and not distracted by work. :-D

But when I did the "quick" search here, I got a bunch of moments/picture by people and places that were considered Nostalgic. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography