Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 08:36 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,821 times

Advertisements

OK, I think I screwed up. Correction. I know I did. My daughter and her friends asked if I would take their prom pictures. I should have said "I will think about it". Problem is, I had just finished a second very strong cherry coke (Amaretto and coke... try it, it is awesome) and said "sure". I screwed up. I do not own any studio type lighting nor do I own any good portrait glass.
So, this morning I figured I better try this portrait thing out. I hung a blanket on a wall and carried in a free standing 1000 watt halogen light that I rescued from a construction site dumpster. With a reluctant four year old test subject I have been snapping pictures all morning. Adjusting aperture, ISO settings and shutter speeds nine ways to Sunday. This is much harder than it looks.

Any tips (for a hack amateur, mind you)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 09:11 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Will you take advice from another amateur?

When I did what you did to a reluctant 13 year old, I had at least 2 lights, one on each side of her. The background was as close as possible to eliminate shadows. I used as large of an aperture opening as the camera and light would allow to also create a shallow DOF. I used ISO 100. Many years ago when I took her First Communion portrait at home, I had a white umbrella (yup a regular umbrella). I used that to bounce some of the light and soften up the shadows. Beyond this, you could just experiment, and hope for the best.

Oh, and lay off the cherry cokes while you're doing it...affects the focus y'know!

Old 11-27-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Will you take advice from another amateur?

When I did what you did to a reluctant 13 year old, I had at least 2 lights, one on each side of her. The background was as close as possible to eliminate shadows. I used as large of an aperture opening as the camera and light would allow to also create a shallow DOF. I used ISO 100. Many years ago when I took her First Communion portrait at home, I had a white umbrella (yup a regular umbrella). I used that to bounce some of the light and soften up the shadows. Beyond this, you could just experiment, and hope for the best.

Oh, and lay off the cherry cokes while you're doing it...affects the focus y'know!
Thanx, bitbit! I think I do need to diffuse the light... it is pretty intense. And I agree with the ISO setting as far as my experimenting has gone. And thanx for the cherry coke warning... but at the rate I am getting paid (none) I need something to adjust my attitude (these are teenagers we are talking about!!). Here is a practice shot with the grand kids... I tried to get them to fight over the Pooh bear... it just seemed more natural!

Old 11-27-2008, 09:58 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
Thanx, bitbit! I think I do need to diffuse the light... it is pretty intense. And I agree with the ISO setting as far as my experimenting has gone. And thanx for the cherry coke warning... but at the rate I am getting paid (none) I need something to adjust my attitude (these are teenagers we are talking about!!). Here is a practice shot with the grand kids... I tried to get them to fight over the Pooh bear... it just seemed more natural!
I know what you mean when you work for free! If I may suggest, I think a plain background would work best so the focus remains on the people. Also, you know those teenagers, they THINK they know which their best angle/profile whatever is. DON'T listen to them, don't cave in. You are the photographer, and please make sure you Photoshop their zits or you'll get no thanks whatsoever from them!

Happy Thanksgiving to you Bulldawgfan, and to NeNe, the kids and grands!

P.S. If you can, try to use as much natural light as possible, like next to a window in a north facing room. The sunlight is not as harsh as floodlights (I use desk lamps with no more than 100 watts). Just make sure window pane shadows don't fall on their faces!

Old 11-27-2008, 10:34 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,257 times
Nothing is better then natural light. Have you thought about just do portrait outside? You can build a simple b/g stand, or use trees to hang it on.
You will have very natural looking portrait with good light. Of course it needs to be done in a daytime. You can implement your flash and start experimenting.
For inside the house, it can get somewhat complicated, you can easily use window light, probably your best option.
Have fun!

Old 11-27-2008, 10:49 AM

Thanks guys... I think I really like the outdoor idea. And I would use a more plain (or less noisy) background... but this morning I just grabbed the top blanket from the shelf. A clothesline type background hanger upper sounds like a plan. Low ISO and big hole size.... check!!

Thanx again, and Happy Thanksgiving to both of you.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:00 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
One of the tips that professionals I know always seem to stress regarding portraits are FOCUS ON THE EYES!!! Focus on the eyes!!! They all say that the secret to great portraits are having the eyes in sharp focus as possible.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:26 PM

347 posts, read 1,095,072 times
BDF: I usually take family portraits at home... and I use plain king size bedsheets... so I can hang them up the wall, and have some drape down too... like at the studios, so there are no hard edges. I have always used a wall across from a window(s) and just used that natural light... diffused through thin liner drapes... and so have not had trouble with shadows.

It looks like you have hit upon a nice solution already... still, just thought I'd share my 0.02. Hth too... Good luck!

Old 11-27-2008, 01:26 PM

18,120 posts, read 11,756,270 times
When I really "into" photography much younger, I would enjoy taking photos of children.
My main focus was on the children's faces but in the photo I also wanted to show growth
and age. If you can, have an object in the photo that is a standard size to use to compare
growth. Does this make sense? Maybe standing next to a dining room chair or sitting on a
wing chair. Anything to show actual size compare to the child's height.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:46 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
One of the most common mistakes new photographers make with "portraits" is the background. IF you want to use a sheet or blanket... or a photographer's backdrop... keep it well in the background. It should usually be at least 3 feet behind the subject -- 4-5 feet would usually be better. And this is true even if you're using a tree for a background in your front lawn. Whatever you use, keep it simple and a little blurry.

Sometimes the best background is your own livingroom. I charge extra to shoot portraits in clients' homes, but it does make the photo more unique and personal. Of course I never use a backdrop then, as the whole point of shooting in the subject's home is to have the home for the background -- and part of the picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography