U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 08:19 PM

2,273 posts, read 3,928,506 times

Advertisements

Mark, a tripod would help tremendously if you ever wanted to take macro on a slower shutter speed, such as in lower light conditions.

The prices of digital SLRs have dropped dramatically, even in the few years since I got mine. The newer Canon Rebels also have sensor cleaning systems and wireless file transfer - two features I would love to have on mine. It's hard to believe that even as recently as seven years ago, a DSLR was about $10k - and nowhere near as advanced as they are now. Now you can get one for as low as $550.

BTW. Mark - I love the frog!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 05:07 AM

8,057 posts, read 2,473,263 times
Thanks, Claire. Yeah, the frog shot is one of my favorites, too.

Oh yeah, tripod is on my shopping list as well. I decided to go for Olympus, though: it's a better bargain for me with two kit lenses than Cannon. I'm hoping to be able to buy some macro lenses in a few months, too, but that remains to be seen. First, I will need to learn how to use the camera!

Oh, I can't wait! I'm hoping to get it before Christmas. It is possible to set the depth of field to something I'm doing now, isn't it? I think I'll be using my old Premier and the new Olympus interchangeably for some time, before I learn what I need to know. Lucky for me, the Olympus also has the full auto-setting so I can start from there. No time to take up any courses, I'm afraid and I've always learned better on my own but I do envy you the workshop. Can you post any more photos, please? I love them!

Homepage
Forum Rules
FAQ

Old 10-10-2007, 10:34 AM

191 posts, read 424,616 times
Love the pics! Marka - I never would have guessed that those were taken with a regular digital camera, they look great!

Here are some of mine taken with my Pentax DS dslr and 50mm macro lens

I've also used my macro lens for portrait shots - here one example (with a little photoshop of course)

Old 10-10-2007, 11:13 AM

8,057 posts, read 2,473,263 times
Ahhh! Lovely! Thanks for sharing. The seashells are absolutely exquisite!

Homepage
Forum Rules
FAQ

Old 10-10-2007, 07:50 PM

2,273 posts, read 3,928,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markablue View Post
Thanks, Claire. Yeah, the frog shot is one of my favorites, too.

Oh yeah, tripod is on my shopping list as well. I decided to go for Olympus, though: it's a better bargain for me with two kit lenses than Cannon. I'm hoping to be able to buy some macro lenses in a few months, too, but that remains to be seen. First, I will need to learn how to use the camera!

Oh, I can't wait! I'm hoping to get it before Christmas. It is possible to set the depth of field to something I'm doing now, isn't it? I think I'll be using my old Premier and the new Olympus interchangeably for some time, before I learn what I need to know. Lucky for me, the Olympus also has the full auto-setting so I can start from there. No time to take up any courses, I'm afraid and I've always learned better on my own but I do envy you the workshop. Can you post any more photos, please? I love them!
Don't forget about extension tubes as a relatively cheap alternative to a macro lens. You do have to get a lot closer to the subject when using an extension tube, and a tripod is an absolute must, but you can get some decent shots that way. Two of the photos I posted above were taken using an extension tube, before I got my macro lens - the light bulb, and the strawberry.

I'm hoping to take some more macro photos soon, and will post them when I do.

Len-NJ, your photos are absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

Old 10-10-2007, 08:10 PM
jco

2,106 posts, read 4,585,233 times
Len - the starfish is just amazing! Well done!

Old 07-16-2008, 12:10 PM

2,988 posts, read 5,568,046 times
Default Macro Photographs

For me, taking a close up picture is not easy. I am more of a distance picture-taker. Landscapes, scenery, trees, nature. Anyways, I have the feature on my camera ("the little tulip"), but didn't use it. Finding the right subject to photography is the simple part. Having the right lighting, angle, distance, when to use flash, when not to, etc. are hardest (imo).

If you're too close the shot comes out very blury.

So I have been taking a couple of practice shots the past few days: (be honest if there is anything I should be doing differently) I am finding that patience is the key. Any & all helpful hints are appreciated.

These are cropped from their original, but un-edited.

Feel free to add some of your own close up practice pictures.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:42 PM

131,622 posts, read 43,425,617 times
This is one of my first digital photos ever. I do not have a macro and did not use the tulip. Was just out having fun at lunch. Macro is certainly a specialty. Depth of field can be a problem. I've always want to do some real macro and maybe with a little pushing may get around to it. I don't consider this a macro but a simple close up. To my way of thinking a macro would only be the bee and some of the flower? Any advice?

Old 07-16-2008, 12:56 PM

8,163 posts, read 16,899,292 times
Default My 1st atempt!

I had trouble keeping my shadow off it...did not quite make it!

Yep & fuzzy too!
Attached Thumbnails
Macro Photographs-hpim0974.jpg   Macro Photographs-hpim0975.jpg  

Old 07-16-2008, 12:57 PM

2,988 posts, read 5,568,046 times
I don't know anything about "macro" Can someone explain it (in simple terms).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography