Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 04:02 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,195 times

Advertisements

I have a Nikon N80 which I bought in 2001. I used it often when I first bought it; however, I also had a 1.2 MP digital that was easier to use. I used the camera again sporadically in 2003, 2005, 2006. I upgraded the 1.2 to a 4.1 MP Canon in 2003. I have a Panasonic TZ-5, now, and I still do not use the 35 mm camera.

My wife wants me to give up the 35 mm to my sister in law, and I don't use it (even though I spent over $1500). I just want reassurance that giving it away will at least put it to good use. I don't like digital SLRs but I wonder if the accessories will work on a Nikon Digital SLR.

Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 06:58 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Why do you not like DSLRs?

I no longer use my 35mm film cameras (I had two). If I had access to a dark room, I probably would use them for creative reasons, not for professional work. But technically, they are my dad's cameras so I can't sell them or anything. I'll probably give them back to him.

I'm not familiar with Nikon's systems but if you bought it in 2001, it sounds recent enough that it should be lens compatible with Nikon's digital SLRs.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:03 AM

556 posts, read 2,086,788 times
I LOVE my Pentax 35mm film camera, which is almost as old as my grown sons (I think it's 22 years old now)..........and I admit that it is lovingly packed in the carrying case and rarely gets used these days. We purchased a DSLR, which we really like, and are continuing to learn to use. We like that it offers the convenience of the digital/instant gratification combined with the features we love about our Pentax 35mm.

I likely won't ever part with my 35mm camera and related equipment as it served me well over the years and I'm pretty attached to it.....but if your sister-in-law will use your old camera and take as good care of it as you have, then I think letting her use the camera is a good thing. I just don't have anyone wishing I would share my faithful old camera with them

Old 12-10-2008, 08:19 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,239,342 times
Technically there's really no reason to use 35mm since 8MP+ digital produces higher quality results. Special effects like high grain with high speed film (digital grain always looks fake) is about the only reason to use 35mm. I was a film holdout to the end & really enjoyed my Olympus OM4 & Canon RF cameras but it's time to face reality.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:31 AM

1,401 posts, read 3,772,762 times
When it comes to B&W I will ALWAYS shoot FILM. Digital B&W just doesn't 'get it' for me...I'm an old T-Max girl, and when I can't get that film anymore, I'll put the F5 up on the shelf. My Nikon FM gets about 10 rolls a year through it, just to keep it up.

I still prefer film for weddings, if for no other reason than beautiful skin tones.

There are a lot of professionals who won't stop shooting film, we use and appreciate digital, yes, but film is the way, truth and life for us.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:47 AM

2,397 posts, read 4,699,652 times
I have digital now. But still prefer to shoot film. I own 2 nikons and 3 olympus SLR's.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:33 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Nikon's dSLRs can use the same lenses as the N80, and I believe the same flashes. What other accessories are you wondering about?

If you're not sure about giving the camera and accessories away, why not just loan it to your SIL. The body isn't worth much these days but the lenses might be.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Nikon's dSLRs can use the same lenses as the N80, and I believe the same flashes. What other accessories are you wondering about?

If you're not sure about giving the camera and accessories away, why not just loan it to your SIL. The body isn't worth much these days but the lenses might be.
I was just thinking, about just giving the body and a lens - and keeping the 300 mm lens/flash - in case I decide that a DSLR is going to be in my future.

Those lenses should work, I suppose, in the new, fangled digital cameras...

Old 12-10-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Why do you not like DSLRs?

I do not like the size or weight of the SLR cameras. When travelling, it is hard enough with my other stuff to keep track of.

With my current camera and digital camcorders, I have everything I need without the serious weight:

Digital Camera
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FA1OHW

YOUTUBE Ready Camcorder
Amazon.com: Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5K 9MP Digital Camera with 10x Wide Angle MEGA Optical Image Stabilized Zoom (Black): Camera & Photo

HD Camcorder
Amazon.com: Samsung SC-HMX20C 8GB High Definition Camcorder with 10x Optical Zoom: Camera & Photo

Old 05-29-2009, 12:55 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,755,670 times
While it can quickly develop (no pun intended) into a religious war, there have been far too many tests, publications, write-ups and technical analysis done to date that have clearly proven that any DSLR from at least a 2008 vintage on up and 10mp on up will surpass film in EVERY way. Dynamic range, color accuracy, contrast, resolution....you name it. The film folks want to defend their beloved film to the end based on theoretical limits of the scan resolutions etc. With sophisticated software now we can easily achieve a superior image in ALL regards with a top flight DSLR, so why bother with film? Digital also provides less destructive copies (RAW) which can easily be reprocessed in Photoshop or other competent programs. The end result is there is NO compelling reason to continue with film PERIOD. I want to process and print my OWN shots thank you and with NO chemicals needed. End of story.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography