Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2008, 08:57 AM

1,401 posts, read 3,772,762 times

Advertisements

I'd like to know how you feel these cameras are handling noise in your photos at high iso.

I am very torn between these two and the Canon 50D for the next camera for the bag here.....I feel that Canon is handling the noise issue better than Nikon, but want to know how D300 and D90 users feel their cameras do on noise.

Since I've only been able to play with the cameras in store, and not out in the field, I can't really 'see' what the camera is doing and need a little input from the floor please. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 10:29 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,167,793 times
I try not to shoot anything where high ISO is a requirement. I recently did some "surprise wedding" shots, and it was quiet dark inside. I think i had to bump up my ISO up to 800, i haven't even looked at those pictures yet. When i start working on them, i'll let you know.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:24 AM

22 posts, read 34,791 times
Default D90 High ISO

Please note that I've only had my D90 for a few days and still have a lot to learn about this camera. The primary reason that I purchased the D90 was that I had been using a Canon S3 IS P&S that any ISO above 100 was very noisy to say the least. From several other forums I saw D90 user reviews where they were very impressed with the handling of high ISOs.

Yesterday I went out for a test shoot and I set up the D90 to aperture priority and set the minimum shutter speed to 160. Then I set the ISO range to 200-1600. With the D90 this means if I select an aperture of say F22 and the minimum shutter speed of 160 results in under exposure the D90 will bump the ISO up until a correct expose is set. Nice feature.

After sundown I snapped a few frames of a duck in water at F20, 185mm. When I looked at the photo later the EXIF showed the D90 had kicked the ISO to 1000. The image was more than acceptable to me without any PP although that would probably sharpen it up even more.

In conclusion I feel that the primary reason I switched to the D90 was achieved. Now I don’t know anything about other DSLR camera brands but this camera body works for me.

Hope this Helps

Old 12-14-2008, 11:13 AM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Azka...Have you tried the 5D markII yet....It may be in my stocking soon. I sold one of my collector cars and have some cash burning a hole in my pocket.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos5dmarkII/

Last edited by sanspeur; 12-14-2008 at 11:24 AM..

Old 12-14-2008, 02:29 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
I have the D300 and the noise at a high ISO Is "ok". I really wanted a Nikon D2x but my pocketbook thought I should be happy with the D300; and I am. The D90, according to Ken Rockwell, is better than the D300 in regards to noise at a High ISO. Since I don't have a D90 I will have to take his word for it. Also, I do think that each camera performs a bit differently. Here is a link to Ken's review: Nikon D3, D90, D300 and D200 ISO 3,200 Comparison

Best of luck to you in your purchase.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Azka...Have you tried the 5D markII yet....It may be in my stocking soon. I sold one of my collector cars and have some cash burning a hole in my pocket.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Hands-on Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Oh yes, I have looked at it. I'm just not sure I need all that juice...I'm getting out of portraiture and weddings, and stay strictly with nature and sub contract work. I just don't know if I really seriously need that much camera...The 50D is a very sweet camera with a nice price tag...then again,
so is the D90, D300 and D700....

When I have some free time after the new year, I plan to make a road trip down to Pittsburgh to hit Ritz and check them all out as much as I can in a store, and hopefully come up with a final decision.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:19 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Just a note - online photo forums are teeming with posts about a "black pixel problem" with the 5DMII - it appears some quirky anomaly is causing a number of shots to show black pixels or "dots" alongside bright areas - sometimes A LOT of them, in a good number of photos. Not every camera seems to be doing it, but quite a few are. Canon is supposedly aware of this and trying to find a firmware solution, but while I'm one of the people who DROOL to own this camera, I'd wait until this significant bug is worked out before buying.

A friend bought the D90 and liked the image quality but took it back and swapped for a D300 simply because he wanted the much better build quality and focusing ability the D300 offers. I've seen plenty of his shots and the image quality is the same to most naked eyes for both cameras, but the D300 puts out slightly less saturated (less "consumerish") photos out of the camera. Their high iso noise is about the same as the Canon 30D from my past experience. I think the Canon 40D might be *slightly* better in the noise department than they are - but it would be a non-issue for most they're so close. The 50D samples I've seen show about the same amount of noise if not slightly more than the 40D due to the increase in pixels, but none of these cameras are "bad" by any means.

Of course, for the upmost in low light shot quality, yes, you would need the D700, D3, original 5D, or once the bugs are worked out, MAYBE the 5DMII full frame models with a fast lens.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:56 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanq View Post
Please note that I've only had my D90 for a few days and still have a lot to learn about this camera. The primary reason that I purchased the D90 was that I had been using a Canon S3 IS P&S that any ISO above 100 was very noisy to say the least. From several other forums I saw D90 user reviews where they were very impressed with the handling of high ISOs.

Yesterday I went out for a test shoot and I set up the D90 to aperture priority and set the minimum shutter speed to 160. Then I set the ISO range to 200-1600. With the D90 this means if I select an aperture of say F22 and the minimum shutter speed of 160 results in under exposure the D90 will bump the ISO up until a correct expose is set. Nice feature.

After sundown I snapped a few frames of a duck in water at F20, 185mm. When I looked at the photo later the EXIF showed the D90 had kicked the ISO to 1000. The image was more than acceptable to me without any PP although that would probably sharpen it up even more.

In conclusion I feel that the primary reason I switched to the D90 was achieved. Now I don’t know anything about other DSLR camera brands but this camera body works for me.

Hope this Helps
I could be wrong, but when you set the camera to "aperture priority," you control the lens aperture, and the camera controls the shutter speed (changes it to match the lens aperture you have selected). Now, when the ISO is set to "auto," the camera also changes it accordingly.

When you set your camera to "shutter priority," you change the shutter speed, and the camera adjusts the lens aperture to match the shutter speed you have selected. The ISO speed moves up/down accordingly, but only when on auto.

Of the Nikon cameras, the D3 series control digital noise the best, but all digital cameras control digital noise to a point. One can also remove some digital noise with software. What I always do is to keep the ISO speed as low as possible to attain the cleanest images. You can read about taking photos of Northern Lights in here:
Photographing Northern Lights

You will notice that the author sets his old (Canon 10D) camera not higher than 400 ISO, since one does not need high ISO to take photos at night (unless it's night wildlife shots, or of people moving around).

All cameras produced in the past few years control ISO noise well, and they are getting better and better. But high ISO noise control is a feature mostly used by a few photographers, since you can keep the noise level down by controlling ISO (low ISO), and the other camera's functions.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:28 PM

After much consideration and thought, I have opted to stay with Nikon. The model has yet to be chosen, but when something works, I tend to stick with it. ALTHOUGH I must say, that the Canon models I've had my hands on, over the past three weeks are EXCEPTIONAL. The only thing that stopped me, was the idea, of having to build a new collection of glass, and the absolute lack of space I have to do that right now!!!!

Thanks to those who supplied very valuable input and opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography