U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 11:39 AM

70 posts, read 159,334 times

Advertisements

I have a kodak cx7530. It's a couple years old, but lately I've been taking pictures and they look dark, even though the flash goes off. This isn't a huge problem becasue their crappy software will lighten them. But I was at a live WWE show and got some good shots, BUT I don't know if I zoomed in too much or what, they are all blurry/fuzzy I'm so disappointed, they wouldn've been awesome pictures. Any info on this? I really want a slr, I'm assuming I wouldn't have any of these problems with one of those cameras, right? Anybody know too, if I just take my card somewhere if they'd be able to fix them? I doubt it... I hate kodak at this point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 11:53 AM

12,495 posts, read 11,873,265 times
I would suggest taking sample shots. Then put new or newly recharged batteries in your camera. See if that makes a difference.... I have very little experience with these new digital cameras, but going back years when I did 35mm film, my lite meter auto set the exposure if the battery (non-rechargeable) was weak or old the lite meter did not register the correct lite, causing a out of focus or dark photo.
Just my 2 cents.....

Old 12-27-2008, 12:14 PM

30,992 posts, read 12,998,784 times
I just checked specifications for your camera, and there is little you could do besides using preset settings. May be, if you are able to, you could try something similar with a higher ISO setting instead of leaving it at "auto ISO" (if there is such a setting). The downside to using higher ISO is that it will likely introduce noise (brown speckles, especially in dark areas).

If you're considering a new camera, I will recommend getting one with...
- Image Stabilization
- A few manual adjustments. It doesn't have to have full fledged control, just "P" (program mode) in addition to "auto" and some preset (landscape, night shot etc) modes. With "P", you can change a few parameters depending on the conditions.

You don't need to focus too much on "MP" (resolutions). 5MP is just fine. You can get more for your money by putting higher priority on "features" than all out resolution. Eventhough my cameras have 8MP resolution, most of my pictures are taken with 3MP resolution, occasionally 5MP.

If you need more input, you know where to ask.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:18 PM

5,320 posts, read 6,583,015 times
It could be a few things, it would be helpful if you could post an example photo and give us some more details. Were you using the flash? If not, it could be that there is not enough light to freeze action and therefore you're getting a motion blur and/or camera shake. It could also be that your cameras autofocus is not fast enough to keep up with the motion so it's not focusing on the right things. But seeing as how you've had it several years and not complained about this before, I doubt it's that. Thirdly, it could be that there is not enough light for your camera to find something to focus on.

Getting an SLR may solve the problem but it may not. If the problem was merely it being a low light situation and therefore getting motion blur/camera shake, that is just the nature of low light situations no matter what camera you're using. The only benefit would be that SLRs tend to handle noise at higher ISOs better so you could maybe bump up the ISO. But the fact of the matter is that low light situations such as being indoors at an event or even at home are difficult photography situations.

The issues with the photos turning out too dark could be a problem with the cameras light meter.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:23 AM

thanks all, tinman, I had my fully charged battery in there that came with the camera.
Einstein, this camera does have those features and yes I usually do use auto setting.
Pa2-so if I try upping the iso in a dark setting that may help? I'll have to try it. I did use the flash, it's set on auto.
Here's one I took that I've already tried to lighten up as best I can. I really think I overzoomed, I guess:
Attached Thumbnails
Question about blurry photos-100_3318.jpg  

Old 12-28-2008, 12:06 PM

5,320 posts, read 6,583,015 times
Okay, seeing the photo it looks like the photo is not so much "blurry" as it is merely very noisey/grainy and possibly also using a digital zoom. If that is what you mean by "overzoomed", it's possibly part of the problem. Digital zoom deteriorates the image quality. The noise/grain of being underexposed or possibly using a high ISO is also contributing to you poor image quality.

It may also be beneficial to add that from that distance, your flash will have been of no use, which is why the images came out so dark.

What you experienced here was merely the limitations of your camera. A dslr may help solve some of these problems but keep in mind that you would need to buy a telephoto lens along with your dslr in order to zoom in from a distance like this. Although you won't have to worry about digital zoom, without the right lens, you may find in cases like this, you can't zoom in as far as you'd like. On top of that, even with a dslr, your flash would still not reach from that distance so you'd have to bump up the ISO - although dslr's do handle noise/grain better than compacts, you'll still wind up with noise which will make your images look "blurry".

I hate to tell you but you simply can't expect to take photos from this distance in a low light situation and expect quality results, even with a dslr, you'd struggle. What you really need is to get closer up.

Old 12-28-2008, 04:06 PM

6,856 posts, read 9,041,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metmom006 View Post
I really want a slr, I'm assuming I wouldn't have any of these problems with one of those cameras, right?
Contrary to popular belief, SLRs don't always get any better pictures than point and shoot cameras. They're "capable" of better photos, but that often comes with considerably more cost in extras -- bigger flashes and bigger lenses, not to mention SKILL in using them.

The cheapest way to get better pictures at an event like that is to buy ringside seats, no matter which camera you have.

Unfortunately, there's no way to make photos like the one you posted much good.

Kodak is near the bottom in my choice of cameras, mainly because most offer little in the way of manual input, but your biggest problem is that you're just too far away in a dimly-lit auditorium.

Old 12-28-2008, 04:07 PM

PA2, you've been a great help! So guess I'll be saving up to get those ring side seats next time My iso was set to auto when I took these also, so I don't know if upping would've made it less "fuzzy" What a bummer, so basically zooming is only good for so far of a distance

Old 12-29-2008, 03:30 PM

25,355 posts, read 11,477,656 times
PA2UK, very good post. I have found I have the same problem with my digital Canon A590 when using the zoom. Even if I am 8 feet away and want to zoom in on the subject, the quality is inferior.

It takes time and practice to learn to get the best from your digital camera even with 7 MP.

Thanks also to everyone who responded to the OP. It helps us newbies learn.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:48 PM

5,608 posts, read 7,046,073 times
Yes, PA2UK, that was a really good post. I would check, metmom006, and make sure you have your digital zoom turned off. Frankly, I don't know why they even have them. They're really kind of pointless as far as I'm concerned.

As for using flash, that seems to be one of the mistakes I see the most often, i.e. trying to use a flash too far beyond its range. The other is when people are taking photos of friends or family and stand so far away (and don't zoom in) from the people they're photographing that you can hardly recognize them in the resulting pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography