Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2019, 07:59 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,882,545 times

Advertisements

I am going to Amboseli, Kenya and hope to take pictures that show elephants, giraffes, human with background of Mt Kilimanjaro. I want Mt Kilimanjaro to look big but also clear and focus

What lens should I use? Telephoto?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 09:25 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
I am going to Amboseli, Kenya and hope to take pictures that show elephants, giraffes, human with background of Mt Kilimanjaro. I want Mt Kilimanjaro to look big but also clear and focus

What lens should I use? Telephoto?
Specifically, you won't be able to use a telephoto lens to get Kilimanjaro sharp with animals in the foreground. You'll need a wide angle or mid-range lens to do that. That means you'll have to be very close to your animal subjects if you want them large in the frame, or settle for them being smaller in the frame.

There's a concept in photography called, depth of field (DOF). Three things that contribute to it are distance to subject, focal length (wide angle vs telephoto), and aperture. Long lenses dramatically reduce DOF, as does being close to your subject. You can use a DOF calculator to play around with values to get an idea of what will work. Online Depth of Field Calculator

For sake of completeness, I will mention there's one way you can increase the DOF infinitely with any lens using a technique called focus stacking. With this technique, you should shoot on a tripod. Take one picture with your focus on the animals, and without moving the camera, take another picture focused on the mountain. Combine the sharpest areas from both images in Photoshop to make one entirely sharp image. Depending on your scene, you may actually have to take a series of photos at different focal distances to get everything sharp with the equipment you selected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography