Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 09:48 PM

128 posts, read 843,867 times

Advertisements

I love seeing really unique, creative, odd, strange, and crazy looking places. I have a few places I'm gonna add as I load them onto this computer but was also hoping others will share their own finds. I guess we'll see if I'm the only one who has a fascination with this and the pictures to prove it. If you have anything to add, don't forget to name the city and state!

So here's my first contribution. I also have it posted in the Alaska thread.

Willow, Alaska

It's referred to by locals as the "Dr. Suess House" It just TOWERS over the tree tops and appears to have anywhere from 10 - 12 stories... Although as you can see it's kinda hard to figure out where one level ends and the next begins.

I guess it's been unfinished like this for the last 10 years

This second picture is really fuzzy but shows how the house sits against the river. And gives a better idea how tall it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 01:17 PM

Homer, Alaska

Old 02-16-2009, 03:02 PM

37,735 posts, read 40,783,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossco View Post

It's referred to by locals as the "Dr. Suess House" It just TOWERS over the tree tops and appears to have anywhere from 10 - 12 stories... Although as you can see it's kinda hard to figure out where one level ends and the next begins.
I hope it has bathrooms on multiple floors.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:52 PM

Just out of Palmer, in Butte Alaska.

Palmer/Butte, Alaska.

The airport tower was originally the Merrill Field tower in Anchorage (only on a MUCH taller building). In the big 1964 earthquake the airport tower was damaged beyond repair and had to be replaced. Amazingly the very top of the old tower was salvageable. A previous owner of this house bought it, had it brought all the way out to the valley, and built an addition onto his house with it.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:25 PM

Tree houses in Homer, Alaska.

This was the main house. It's hard to tell because of the tall grass but let me assure you that the home is held up by nothing more than the pole going thru the home and sticking out of the top (it maybe an old tree trunk still in the ground, not sure).

I've heard from people who have met him that this one has 2 floors, electricity, a monitor for heat, a bed, TV, and small kitchen, but no running water or plumbing. He lives in this tree house year round I guess. But all that is hear-say. I've also heard that there's been articles in I think the Anchorage paper about his houses. I say houses because he has a few of these on the property (as seen in the other picture below).

The tree house to the right I have no idea what is use for (as you can see its built around an actual living tree), and the other tree house in the center seems to be a finished green house/solarium. The "house" I showed in the first picture is located just out of this shot to the left about 20 yards. The 3 domes that sit on the ground in front of the solarium have looked the same for several years, unfinished. I have no idea what they're for but I know they're not livable like the other "tree houses".

Old 02-17-2009, 01:26 PM

This place is in Palmer Alaska...

Old 02-17-2009, 08:24 PM

1,396 posts, read 3,421,996 times
Good thread Bossco! I seen that castle like home in Palmer back in 02, I remember its exterior was of stained wood.

In Seattle, Wa. The Experience Music Project|Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame

A monorail travels through the complex.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:41 PM

Minuteman that is such a neat place. We we're in Seattle a few summers ago and took the monorail through the middle of the building. I would have loved to go inside and see what it's like.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:34 PM

777 posts, read 1,435,427 times
Crazy stuff!
'Hope to see more - and more contributors.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:12 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,074,460 times

this house is in Pocono Lake, Pa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography