U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-25-2009, 11:06 AM

1,411 posts, read 2,309,310 times
This is my church...

While the buildings called 'churches' are beautiful with amazing architecture, I feel they represent hypocrisy...each telling the world "WE are the ONLY true church, everyone else is WRONG" ....If you want to feel connected to the Divine...just go outside....best church ever, most beautiful, and spiritually uplifting.

"Where We Worship" this is mine....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-25-2009, 02:02 PM

33 posts, read 42,530 times
Very interesting reply with the gorgeous photo of "Nature" in its finest form! The title of the thread is "Where We Worship" ... doesnt' say anything about it needing to be an architectural structure! I worship (meditate) to a small home made shrine to Buddha in my back yard... that would fall in this category too, I guess? I'll maybe get a chance to take a photo of it this weekend and then see if I can figure out how to post it next week! Very thought provoking, thank you for posting the place where you worship.

Unread 06-25-2009, 02:42 PM

5,181 posts, read 6,054,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkadellia View Post
This is my church...

While the buildings called 'churches' are beautiful with amazing architecture, I feel they represent hypocrisy...each telling the world "WE are the ONLY true church, everyone else is WRONG" ....If you want to feel connected to the Divine...just go outside....best church ever, most beautiful, and spiritually uplifting.

"Where We Worship" this is mine....
Gorgeous photo, Azkadellia! While I do now go to a regular church, I used to take this walk along a river where the trees kind of came together at the top like the pointed top of a window in a Gothic cathedral. I always thought of that spot at nature's cathedral and felt as awestruck and worshipful there as I ever have inside an architectural church building.

Unread 06-26-2009, 04:56 PM

415 posts, read 526,592 times
Default liverpool anglican cathedral

Unread 07-06-2009, 09:42 PM

5,181 posts, read 6,054,582 times

Unread 07-06-2009, 10:51 PM

30,610 posts, read 10,624,672 times
Where We Worship-san-antonio-missions_0043.jpg

Unread 07-16-2009, 01:14 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,544,420 times
Trentham Parish Church, Stoke-on-Trent, England (Church of England)

Attached to the wall is an old headstone from the grave of a former rector dated 1720

Late 11th century stone coffin lid - on the left hand side of the lid is a carving of a sword.

12th century arch incorporated into the 19th century rebuilding of the church

12th century representations of crocodiles?
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z198/BereniceUK/UK%20travel/Staffordshire/Trentham/IMG_1578.jpg (broken link)

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z198/BereniceUK/UK%20travel/Staffordshire/Trentham/IMG_1580.jpg (broken link)

Remains of a stone effigy,believed to be Ranulph the Second, Earl of Chester

Standing is the 2nd Duke of Sutherland

Unread 07-17-2009, 07:10 PM

110 posts, read 127,940 times
Gorgeous pictures everybody!

I'm not religious, but when we where in Uppsala (Sweden) this June we had to stop by the cathedral.
I think churches are beautiful buildings as well, and walking around this one which is from the late 13th century just strikes awe in me.
Something so old and so magnificent, the details and size of the building is just amazing.
The whole bit about several kings and queens and whatnot being buried inside there didn't help on the bit of a surreal feeling either!

From the front

Some stained glass windows

This last one is probably one of my favorite pictures from the cathedral!

Unread 07-18-2009, 12:33 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,544,420 times
NerdyChick, how did you get such perfect photos of the stained glass windows? I can never get results like that

Unread 07-18-2009, 02:32 AM

110 posts, read 127,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
NerdyChick, how did you get such perfect photos of the stained glass windows? I can never get results like that
To be honest? No idea!
I'm one of those who really has no idea how to use my camera, I just kinda use it and try my way around. So in the cathedral I just set it to autofocus and let the camera do the work. And it gave me awesome pictures like that of the stained glass windows pretty much every time
I was convinced that I was going to have to go to our hotel, browse the net to find what settings to use and come back to the cathedral and take pictures over again when I started, but was instead real pleased with the results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography