Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 08:15 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,812,715 times

Advertisements

I don't know diddly squat, but wonder if it might be possible to keep the lit cross from blowing out by using a graduated ND filter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 09:18 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Ahem:
Sorry

I'll try and figure out HDR and how to do it.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:47 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I'll try and figure out HDR and how to do it.
With HDR software, at least for this scene, you'll still need to take the multiple exposures. Expose once for the lights, as you've already done. Then take another shot which correctly exposes the rest of the scene. (Sometimes you can use the larger dynamic range of a single raw image to capture the scene, but that won't be the case here, as the range you want to capture is presumably very large.) HDR can give you some neato special effects as well, and I'm sure you've seen plenty of examples.

Photomatix is a popular tool for this. But you can also do it in Photoshop alone if you already have that.

I had a similar challenge in this shot.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:28 AM

58 posts, read 244,801 times
I agree with photogal using an graduated neutral density filter will allow you to expose the other sections of the photo without blowing out the highlights.

Edit: Also with using HDR...

Old 05-03-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher66 View Post
I agree with photogal using an graduated neutral density filter will allow you to expose the other sections of the photo without blowing out the highlights.
Typically you use GNDs for evening out sunrises/sunsets. They're rated in stops between the lighter and darker regions, and 2 or 3 stops are the most common used. I'm seeing way more than that between Alpha's bright light, and the completely dark rest of the picture. No? In order to do that shot with a GND, you'd have to buy one that would have little use in other situations. And they're expensive. And all that, just to tame one light bulb? I'll stick to my guns and say that taking two exposures and combining them in software is the way to go here. Just properly expose the light source and blend it onto the darker scene. Done.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:47 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,191,709 times
Quote:
I'll stick to my guns and say that taking two exposures and combining them in software is the way to go here. Just properly expose the light source and blend it onto the darker scene. Done.
Would this be the best method for sunrises and sunsets if I don't have a GND?

Old 05-03-2009, 02:10 PM

Absolutely. I do many or most of my sunrises and sunsets this way. I almost always bracket my shots when shooting stuff like this using the AEB function in my camera. Then I'll try conventionally processing a shot, as well as trying an HDR, and go with whatever looks better for that particular scene. I use Photomatix, which actually has three completely ways to process bracketed shots. So trying every combination and comparing them can take some time!

Here a sunset and a sunrise, both HDRs which I feel improved the shots.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:39 PM

467 posts, read 1,190,186 times
Quote:

Here a sunset and a sunrise, both HDRs which I feel improved the shots.
KDog, how did you post both of these pictures. I went into my profile section and found an area that talked about auto sizing the picture when it posts. Do you use this feature on our profile page and if so, what sizing number did you use, so I can add the correct numbers to my posts.

Thanks
Head coach

Old 05-03-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head coach View Post
KDog, how did you post both of these pictures. I went into my profile section and found an area that talked about auto sizing the picture when it posts. Do you use this feature on our profile page and if so, what sizing number did you use, so I can add the correct numbers to my posts.

Thanks
Head coach
Coach, those instructions you mentioned are for pictures that you upload to the CD site. That's not how I do it, nor how most folks on this site do it. What we typically do is resize the picture in a picture editor (I use Photoshop), then upload the picture to a photo-hosting site (like Flickr, Smugmug, etc, etc). Then you use "IMG" tags surrounding a URL link to the file. There's a button that makes the IMG part easy on the message composition window. It's the one with that little mountain on it. Just click that button, and paste the URL to your picture in the window that pops up.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:19 PM

467 posts, read 1,190,186 times
Quote:
Coach, those instructions you mentioned are for pictures that you upload to the CD site. That's not how I do it, nor how most folks on this site do it. What we typically do is resize the picture in a picture editor (I use Photoshop), then upload the picture to a photo-hosting site (like Flickr, Smugmug, etc, etc). Then you use "IMG" tags surrounding a URL link to the file. There's a button that makes the IMG part easy on the message composition window. It's the one with that little mountain on it. Just click that button, and paste the URL to your picture in the window that pops up.
Yes, I know this....

But if you go to your "My Setting" at the top of the tab, click on it and it will take you to this edit profile page. Then click on "Edit Options and go down to "Thread Display" options. There you will find two small windows that you can enter information in to pre-size photos. I was just wondering if you use this feature. That's all.

Plus, I do like your work, especially the shot with the use of a filter. Very Nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography