Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2009, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,193 times

Advertisements

I have just purchased this camara with a Tamron 18-270 lens to take action baseball shots of my son. So far have only used the auto settings as I am very new to photography with a DSL any advice for getting these shots. I have also noticed that the photos are about 5 mg when downloaded to my computer can I make smaller files without losing sharpness on photo. One last question should I shoot in raw or jpeg? Thanks for any help you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 07:09 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Congratulations on your new camera! The 50D is quite a nice.

The photos will be large, regardless. I would shoot RAW, and process them with PhotoShop Elements, or even with the Canon software, then save the images you like to TIFF format (these will be huge). You can always save them to a DVD, and also to an external hard drive to save room in the internal hard drive.

Now, you could always shoot JPEG, but you won't have a lot of control when you process them. If you are worried about photo sizes, then you could always shoot small RAW if that option is available on the 50D.

Now, switch to Av, and then do the following (power switch all the way UP):

1. Select a mode such as Landscapes, and adjust the camera's sharpness one click to the right of the default setting
2. Choose AI-Servo, and then burst mode
3. If you aren't sure if it's going to be sunny or not, choose Auto ISO
4. If not sure of the white balance (Sunny, Shadow, Shade, Night, Tungsten, etc.), choose AWB
5. Choose Center focus
6. Save those settings to one of the user settings (on the 40D, these are C1, C2, and C3). I don't know what the 50D has for you to save to. Once you have saved the data to the mode of your liking, when you get to the place where you are shooting sports, turn the dial to your mode.

-On your mode, when you press and hold the shutter button half-way, the camera autofocuses and maintains the subject in focus as it moves around. Press the shutter button all the way, and the camera will take a series of photos, all in focus. However, you tell the camera which is the subject by placing the red-color square right on the subject, and the camera will focus on that spot.

What I would immediately do is to buy the "Canon EOS 50D" digital photography guide (I don't know the correct title) by David D. Bush. It will save you a whole bunch of time learning how to use your 50D.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:47 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
I have also noticed that the photos are about 5 mg when downloaded to my computer can I make smaller files without losing sharpness on photo.
If you're talking about setting the camera to save smaller files - no, the smaller the file, the less information, the lesser quality image. You can resize the image to web quality afterwards so it's not a huge print quality image when uploading to the web. This will reduce quality (everytime you save/resave a JPG it compresses it more, losing quality) but it should not be noticable if you only resave once and it's only web quality anyway. But if you're talking about print quality images, they have to be big files or there won't be enough info for a quality print.

Quote:
One last question should I shoot in raw or jpeg?
Only shoot in RAW when you know how to post process in editing software aftewards. RAW is great since it's lossless (no compression like JPG) but it will also look flat and dull compared to a JPG until you edit it yourself. JPGs are quickly auto processed in your camera with some basic contrast, sharpening, etc. RAW does not do this, giving you full control over it, which is great but if you don't know how to edit it, it might be a bit overwhelming.

Alternatively, you can shoot in RAW for the image quality and set some auto processes on it in editing software afterwards if you don't know how to or don't have time to do the editing yourself. But you'd really only be getting half the benefit of shooting in RAW.

Eventually, you should learn how to get the most out of RAW but for now, as a beginner who might be overwhelmed by all this, it's not the end of the world if you shoot in highest quality JPG or shoot in RAW and auto post process them instead of editing manually.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 6,286 times
Now have the Canon 50D and love it. But, have a question. Can anyone tell me how to turn off the red focal points on the LCD monitor screen? I can't find how to do this in the manual, nor do I know how the setting got turned on in the first place. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:14 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awp0409 View Post
Now have the Canon 50D and love it. But, have a question. Can anyone tell me how to turn off the red focal points on the LCD monitor screen? I can't find how to do this in the manual, nor do I know how the setting got turned on in the first place. Any help would be appreciated.
It's in the manual somewhere. I don't have a 50D, but a 40D, and here is how I turn them off and on: In the "Playback Menu" I choose "AF Point Disp," and either "Enable" or "Disable."

What these points show you when you playback the images are the areas in focus. The center point has focus priority, but lets say that you have taken a photo of a bunch of flowers with all the AF points selected in the camera. In this case, depending on the lens aperture you selected, not all the flowers will be in focus. When that happens you question the camera's autofocus system and assume it's malfunctioning, but then you look at the focus points on the image you playback, and the camera shows the only focus options it had when taking the photo. Since you didn't tell it to focus on a specific point, it chose the ones with the most contrast. If you have set the lens' aperture so that it can offer the most depth-of-field, then all the flowers will be in focus. In other words, the focus points show on playback when you have enabled them in the Playback Menu, and all they do is to point-out to you the points in the frame that had the most contrast. The best auto-focus is achieved on subjects with the most contrast.

Last edited by RayinAK; 05-17-2009 at 03:25 PM..

Old 05-17-2009, 05:00 PM

2 posts, read 6,286 times
Thanks! It worked! They are gone now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography