Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 08:25 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,191,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Absolutely not. We've threatened to walk out of a couple weddings -- maybe 1% over the last decade -- when a guest kept snapping formal pictures we set up. First we point to the sign: "No photography during formal posing, etc, etc., blah, blah." If that doesn't work, I mention to the bride or groom that they'll have to stop it. And if that doesn't work, I make a short public speech that they've been asked twice to stop, and one more flash from them will see one of us gone.

Even though we have it in our contract and bring a sandwich board to weddings with the "no photos" explained, we're generally pretty lax about it unless we're running a little late or the guest photographers are getting to be a major pain. Or sometimes, and not infrequently, the bride and groom will ask *US* to stop the wannabee photographers.

At any rate, I can see no point in sending an email after the fact. Why would one do that?
This was more of a question about guests/family taking pictures during a receiption while other guests/family are taking pictures too. The couple's first dance, the Best man's toast to the B&G, the B&G greeting guests in their receiving line, all the events unstaged by the hired. All the events other guests/family were taking pictures of. At no point did the hired stage a photo and tell guests the set up is their exclusive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikongirl24 View Post
If they are invited by the wedding party/ bride/ groom/ family, you really have no place to complain about them. It is standard that family and friends are probably going to take their own photos. When we photograph a wedding, we are PAID to be there, therefore our photos are for an entirely different reason. Our photos are considered the professional ones, used for wall photos, CD's, etc...

As long as they aren't bothering me, I could care less.
Would you set up a photo in the receiption hall with about 100 guests around, who have their cameras taking photos too once the receiption is underway? Or as a pro, who you have taken the "official wedding party" picture the night before at the rehersal dinner? Taking staged ceremony pictures before guests arrive?

Old 06-10-2009, 09:47 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,143,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
This was more of a question about guests/family taking pictures during a receiption while other guests/family are taking pictures too. The couple's first dance, the Best man's toast to the B&G, the B&G greeting guests in their receiving line, all the events unstaged by the hired. All the events other guests/family were taking pictures of. At no point did the hired stage a photo and tell guests the set up is their exclusive.
The more photographers the merrier. In the couple hundred weddings I've shot, I've only had one occasion when I felt like bonking a guest over the head with my camera during the ceremony or reception. She kept jumping in front of me at key moments, like during the cake cutting, toast, etc. I did manage to keep my cool. Most guests are very courteous to us and respect that the b&g have paid us to get the best pictures possible.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:44 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,721,204 times
I can honestly say there was only ONE wedding where it got a little uncomfortable since the grooms best friend was a so called photography nut and he had him there prior to the wedding for some early shots as well. He was shooting film and didn't have a "high frame rate capable" SLR. I chose to take the high road and say nothing. He also walked around taking shots quite often, but fortunately for me he was still limited as he had to keep loading film. I had no such encumbrances as I was shooting with a good number of large compact flash cards digitally and had a faster pro body DSLR.

I noticed later in the day he backed off (probably ran out of film. lol) so I was trying to be the nice guy and invited him to join in shooting the throwing of the garter and bouquet. He got a shot off and I shot it in high speed. The prints let alone the CD I burned illustrating the successive moves made in the process impressed the couple. The B&W shots from the friend (which I ended up seeing) were most certainly not very impressive. It's better to lead with your talent than your attitude in the end. I did one wedding where a teen gal seemed to be following me. I ended up encouraging her and showing her some tips throughout the event. Turned out to be the niece of the bride, who later specially thanked me not only for my tolerance but my encouragement of her niece who is very interested in photography. If you know what you are doing there's no real reason to feel intimidated by others. Be the professional and do the right thing here. It will show to those around you as well. Others will always want to be involved in some way. Just let them be. Do what you were paid for and there will be no conflicts. So much so I've even had some of the wedding party literally force me to sit and eat something during the event (cake and all). I'd rather be a real "Part" of the event than just a hired hand. Makes for a completely different experience indeed :-)

Old 06-10-2009, 10:47 AM

5,978 posts, read 19,836,640 times
Reps to this poster!!!! ^^^^^

You're the pro...no need to be miffed by the amateurs unless they get in your way...short and sweet of it.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:25 AM

275 posts, read 705,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
Would you set up a photo in the receiption hall with about 100 guests around, who have their cameras taking photos too once the receiption is underway? Or as a pro, who you have taken the "official wedding party" picture the night before at the rehersal dinner? Taking staged ceremony pictures before guests arrive?
You have to realize, though, that usually when we take those "posed photos", the only ones around are the wedding party. These photos we take AFTER the ceremony and the huge crowd of guests (depending on how many are there?) have already started heading towards the reception.

That's how we do it to avoid A-- clutter of people getting in my dang way as I'm trying to set up a shot, pose a group and deal with bride's mother who is usually the worst person there... and B-- sometimes we do have family members behind us snapping photos, but if they are in my way, I'm always polite and ask them to move b/c I'm taking my photos. I"m pretty quite to rearrange, so often they don't get a chance to snap too many before I've switched it around. It's a trick I learned from an older pro and the guests usually get the drift and stay outta my way.

Besides, if they really want a good shot, they'll buy them off of me once they realize that gramma cuts the heads off of people and her flash is blowing out people.

The key to all of this is communitcation-- with the bride and groom, the wedding party and, if applicable, the wedding planner/ Mother of Bride, etc... Let your concerns and needs be known.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Reps to this poster!!!! ^^^^^

You're the pro...no need to be miffed by the amateurs unless they get in your way...short and sweet of it.
I agree, especially on this part: "If you know what you are doing there's no real reason to feel intimidated by others."

Old 06-10-2009, 11:54 AM

I think everyone is sharing some great information.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:01 PM

1,401 posts, read 3,763,381 times
The way I handle this is so easy, that I NEVER have issues.

When I first meet the B&G, we go over every last thing. Right from the contract, to how many frames, to what's being done, when, and where. NOTHING is left to chance. NOTHING.

When it comes to family/friends shooting, I have one simple rule, and the B&G know it up front, and I make a general announcement after the ceremony when formal groups are being done. It goes something like this:

"Ladies and gentlemen, if I could have your attention for just a few moments please, thanks. I note that a lot of you are standing here with cameras, waiting to take photos. That is fine, I do allow it, but I do have some rules that must be followed, and if you are not willing to do that, then I must ask that you leave the area now. 1. You may NOT stand directly behind me and shoot 'over my shoulder'. 2. Please do not attempt to come up and crouch in front of me while I am composing or shooting. 3. Once I have taken my frame, you are welcome to take a photo, but still you must stay where you are, it will simply take too much time if I let every one step up to where I'm standing to get a picture. Lastly, too many flash units going off at once will ruin a photograph, both yours and mine, for that reason, I must insist that you refrain from shooting while I am. The couple is paying me for the images I am taking today, and they have a right to expect them to look beautiful. Please do not, attempt to touch my equipment, as I do hold anyone who damages it liable. Are there any questions?"

A contract for me is an ABSOLUTE. Every i dotted, every t crossed, initialed, signed, the whole 9 yards. I make certain, there is no room for error. Just makes the event go as smooth as silk.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:20 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,721,204 times
WOW makes me feel like I'm in Moscow with the KGB about to come down on me. I to have not had any problems WITHOUT the need to formally announce the rules according to ME. Due to prior discussions with the B&G's families, this becomes superfluous fortunately. I've never had anyone come within several feet of my gear, they would just get "The Look". It's pretty well understood by anyone who is not mentally challenged "DO NOT TOUCH" applies. As for flashes going off and all, I've not really encounted much issues although I agree too many flashes going off at the same time can mess with the overall image. Fortunately that is what we have RAW/NEF files for No film for me thanks.

Lets face it, more often than not at a typical wedding, things move FAST. You have to think fast and if anything be ONE or more steps ahead of the whats coming next. Lens changes, flash....no flash, aperture adjustments you name it. All to accommodate the best end result. For this I too prefer the Nikon bodies. They are simply better designed for "on the fly" decisions and access to what are more typically buried menus. There's no need to stress over it however. I've much preferred to enjoy and go with the flow. In the end it all works better for all parties concerned. I've also enjoyed schmoozing with the crowd as then you get some of the best shots. Most people can be real characters, I encourage it. Makes for a much better portfolio of the wedding event. Some of my favorites resulted from my having had an opportunity to talk with the B&G alone for a bit and get a chance to know them and their personalities. You can inspire some unforgettable moments if you know this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography