Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 11:38 PM

612 posts, read 1,841,835 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is an appropriate place to ask but I'll give it a go.

I'm going on a indefinite medical leave. I'm 20 and I am looking for a hobby besides video gaming. I'm going back to school this Fall but my classes are online. I've been looking at City-Data for a long time and I've always been fascinated with the numerous of marvelous photos. I have taken interest and would like to make it a hobby of mine.

Any ideas on how to get started on becoming a photographer? I don't have a lot of money for a fancy camera at the moment but I'm willing to spend a little cash to learn about this and that. Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks,
John

Last edited by Johnny Bananas; 06-18-2009 at 11:49 PM.. Reason: wording
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 05:58 AM

277 posts, read 626,360 times
If you don't have a lot of money you could buy used equipment from places like KEH, I used to buy lots of stuff from them myself and have never had a problem. Once you get a camera you can join a critique site where others help you with evaluating your photos and can give tips based on the type of photos you post. Photosig is a good example of a critique site. The equipment you need depends on the type of photos you want to take, I would always start with a DSLR but lens choices will depend on what your interests are.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:07 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,650,634 times
Depends what your budget is. I am still trying to master my Canon P&S camera. That might be a good place for you to start. Spending alot of money to start off could be a mistake. Give yourself time with an affordable camera that you could learn on and grow with. At least if you get discouraged and/or do not like it and want to quit, you would not have put tons of money into it.

Last edited by Blondie621; 06-19-2009 at 11:27 AM..

Old 06-19-2009, 11:23 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,789,515 times
I'm not sure where you're with photography, but if you want to learn the basics, you could get away with an inexpensive camera (new or used) which offers semi (aperture priority and shutter priority) and manual controls. Photography is a lot more than equipment, it also entails vision, creativity, dedication and composition. You can always save a little every month while developing the skills and invest in a fancier camera/lens.

This thread just gave me an idea for the next (a very unique) assignment, coming soon to this forum. You should participate in it (and others) as well!

Old 06-19-2009, 11:27 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,070,652 times
I just have a digital point and shoot camera too. I wouldn't invest too much money either until you decide on whether or not it's the hobby for you. The great advantage of having a digital camera is that if you don't like the shot, just delete it! It's not like the old days of paying money and developing the film.

I have discovered that the best way that I learn is to take multiple pictures of the same object. Maybe one shot will be head on and the subject (usually flowers) centered in the photo. The next shot might be off to the right or left. The next shot from a totally different angle and close up or macro shots. You can then play with the photos in terms of cropping on your computer. You will be amazed at the how a well cropped photo totally changes the original shot.

Just take lots of shots and see what catches your eye and you will start to train yourself on how you can frame shots in your head before snapping away. It's all about trail and error. And this forum is a wonderful way to look at how other photographer's have a different perspective on things and how they shoot.

Most of all, have fun!!!

Old 06-19-2009, 01:25 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,461,562 times
I have a Canon point and shoot as well. It's a nice camera, nice enough to begin learning with. You can still do a lot with a point and shoot.

It's tremendous fun to play around with different shots. You can even download Photoshop 7 for a free one-month tria to see if you like it!

I am so glad I wasn't talked into buying an expensive camera. I took a photography class recently where Mr. Photographer spent a lot of time talking about how useless P&S cams are -, and thought we should all go out and spend 3K to 5K for "proper equipment." What I learned in that class is what I'd already learned from this site and from looking at professional photogs' websites. IMO, a profoundly competent artist is more than happy to share knowledge.

I know enough now through using a point and shoot, that I'd like to know more and be able to take better photographs (w/subject matter being further than 10 feet away - ).

Go to BBC dot com. Do a search for photography. There're professional photographers on that site who give very direct,simple lessons and tips for the amateur.

Like George said, "Have Fun". At least in my book, that's the whole reason for getting a camera.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:19 PM

180 posts, read 699,976 times
Check and see if there's a photography club in your area, or if there is a dedicated group of photographers who like to meet up and take photowalks, etc., or otherwise meet informally (Flickr is a good place to search and see if there are any photo pools for your area).

If so, consider joining the club and see if they offer a photography class or if one of the more experienced photographers is willing to mentor you one-on-one. I am largely self-taught, but I took advantage of a beginning photo course offered by a club I used to belong to and it was very much worth it, and included in the already very low club dues!

Books by Bryan Peterson and John Hedgecoe are also very helpful and full of inspiring images.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:46 PM

612 posts, read 1,841,835 times
Thanks y'all. I'm gonna stop by Barnes and Noble Sunday and get a couple of "How-to" books. I'm looking forward to taking a class next spring (already have applied for classes this fall). Thanks for the input and looking forward to posting on this site in the near future!

Old 06-19-2009, 02:59 PM

13,188 posts, read 21,795,847 times
I definitely think your first camera should be a good point and shoot. Why? Because even if you upgrade to a DSLR in the future, you'll still want a good P&S to stick in your pocket when carrying a big camera is inconvenient. If you think you might want to get further into the technical aspects of photography, then I would make sure the P&S supports manual exposure, or at least aperture and shutter priority modes (I think most do). And if it was me, I'd also get a P&S that supports RAW mode images (most don't). The Canon G10 is one such P&S favored by experienced photographers.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:23 PM

24,774 posts, read 28,477,833 times
You can get a nice 5 mega pixel starting around 50 bucks... and if you have windows or vista you got your photo editing or go Google and get PIcasa3 it's free... a good photo editing to play around with... Cheap is better till you decide...

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-came...tag=mncol;dir1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography