Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2009, 06:32 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,517,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannymontanny View Post
thanks .its not as sharp as i would like, but hey! im still learning. That manual sounds like a great idea,one more thing for my list,LOL
hubby is hiding from me these days,since i keep using him as my "poser"
The Robin is excellent....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 06:34 PM

Has any one done any video with the SX10... I would but my system for editing does not have a video /audio editing...

Old 07-15-2009, 08:43 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,660,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
Has any one done any video with the SX10... I would but my system for editing does not have a video /audio editing...
I really never plan on using the video on this camera.
I use my A630 for video. The format is also different with the SX10 which I do not really like.
Eventually I would like to get a HD small camcorder when they come down in price, maybe next year.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:59 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,810,780 times
I used the video during my Chicago trip. It was indoors, and surprisingly, the lighting was good as was the sound. Easy to use too. Sorry, but I can't share it with you. I can't even figure out how to do anything other than look at it off my memory card.

Don't really plan on using the video feature much. If I did, I'd most likely already own a camcorder. The camcorder I did own years back got used a total of two times.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:47 AM

The reason I asked about video is their away of taking the individual frames and making them into images.. I realize the format would be limited to pixel size.... 640 x 340 but for small images or prints.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:57 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
I've been shooting video with the SX10. I use Sony Vegas video editing software. Here are some recent short videos I did with the SX10:
Celtic_Parade_3 Mbps.wmv on Vimeo
Founders.wmv on Vimeo
Corrales Parade 3Mbps.wmv on Vimeo
Rich

Old 07-16-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
The reason I asked about video is their away of taking the individual frames and making them into images.. I realize the format would be limited to pixel size.... 640 x 340 but for small images or prints.
The video on the SX10 is 640 x 480 image size at 30 frames per second. Or you can select 320 x 240 image size at the same frame rate.

It isn't really individual frames however you can do indivudual frame grabs, the viewing software reconstructs each frame. The video is in the h.264 format and contained in an MOV container.

Rich

Old 07-16-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
The video on the SX10 is 640 x 480 image size at 30 frames per second. Or you can select 320 x 240 image size at the same frame rate.

It isn't really individual frames however you can do individual frame grabs, the viewing software reconstructs each frame. The video is in the h.264 format and contained in an MOV container.

Rich
h.264 format and contained in an MOV container....Hum.....
I'm new to this wiz bang camera... and I was trying to remember the file size with out having enough coffee in me at the time. I presume you where using a tripod.. Excellent footage and sound... my current computer does not have editing for movie or sound... 2003 Dell 899mzh processor 512 ram w/20gbhd.
Very impressed... on the sound quality. Thanks for sharing

Old 07-17-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
h.264 format and contained in an MOV container....Hum.....
I'm new to this wiz bang camera... and I was trying to remember the file size with out having enough coffee in me at the time. I presume you where using a tripod.. Excellent footage and sound... my current computer does not have editing for movie or sound... 2003 Dell 899mzh processor 512 ram w/20gbhd.
Very impressed... on the sound quality. Thanks for sharing
Thanks for your comments.

The SX10 is Standard Definition video, the SX1 is High Definition, they both use h.264 format which is one of the newer MPEG-4 type formats, here is an overview: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I did not use a tripod on any of those videos, I just have a lot of years holding cameras. But, notice the short duration shots for the most part.

Computers are getting cheaper all the time. Video uses up hard drive space.

The sound quality, well here is the truth:

Celtic_Parade: I cheated. There were 35 to 45 mph winds, look at the kids with the flags at the end, they are getting blown all over the place... I recorded that same band last year with my Canon S2, so I used that sound.

Founders: All of the sound was from the SX10, except the Country Western band at the end, right after their business card was displayed, the wind picked up and they could barely play, so I got their audio from their web site and added it in.

Corrales Parade Not much wind and I lucked out. I had a lot of bad portions because I took still pictures while shooting video. The horse "clop" sounds are real, taken at that time.

I've got video cameras, but I prefer my SX10 and my wife uses a Canon A570.

Rich

Old 07-17-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Thanks for your comments.

The SX10 is Standard Definition video, the SX1 is High Definition, they both use h.264 format which is one of the newer MPEG-4 type formats, here is an overview: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I did not use a tripod on any of those videos, I just have a lot of years holding cameras. But, notice the short duration shots for the most part.

Computers are getting cheaper all the time. Video uses up hard drive space.

The sound quality, well here is the truth:

Celtic_Parade: I cheated. There were 35 to 45 mph winds, look at the kids with the flags at the end, they are getting blown all over the place... I recorded that same band last year with my Canon S2, so I used that sound.

Founders: All of the sound was from the SX10, except the Country Western band at the end, right after their business card was displayed, the wind picked up and they could barely play, so I got their audio from their web site and added it in.

Corrales Parade Not much wind and I lucked out. I had a lot of bad portions because I took still pictures while shooting video. The horse "clop" sounds are real, taken at that time.

I've got video cameras, but I prefer my SX10 and my wife uses a Canon A570.

Rich

Thanks for the explanation..... it's all greek to me but learning more as I go. I did old school wet photography 30+ years ago... and was just starting to understand and enjoy it when life got in the way and everything got put on the back burner... Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography