Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 11:45 AM

24,768 posts, read 28,523,474 times

Advertisements

This was my first attempt at a night shot, hand held on ? Auto... Trying to figure out how to do the property with histogram. This was STS125 the Hubble Service Mission last month...

Last edited by TN Tin Man; 06-28-2009 at 12:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 12:58 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,904 times
Nice shot! I have not tried a night photo yet. Did you try the scene mode for night?

Old 06-28-2009, 01:41 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,523,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Nice shot! I have not tried a night photo yet. Did you try the scene mode for night?
scene mode for night..... Duh! I found that function after the fact. Theirs really 2 night function modes... Fire Works & Stills with night back ground.. I guess either in Auto Mode or you set mode. I'm going to try again when I get my tripod... I'm just guessing at ISO 400 -- Shutter at 1/125 ~ 28mm on a tripod with night mode.. Theirs a function I need to try.. it shoots one up and one down from what you set.. 3 shots in a row. Just got to figure out how to set it....
Too much yellow in the shot... I'll try the tungsten setting next time and see what happens...

Old 06-29-2009, 07:09 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Tinman - from what I can see on my monitor, your shot is very grainy. I don't know what your ISO setting is but it seems a little high. Also, while I don't have the same camera as you do, I found out that in mine, using any of the night scenes (Starry Night, Fireworks) limits your shutter speed, so longer exposures are not possible beyond what the pre-set is for. Knowing this, your exposure requirements, depending on your subject, may not be satisfied by these scene modes. Just thought I'd throw this in there, as I myself am trying to learn my camera in preparation for the 4th of July. What was suggested here in the Fireworks thread was to expose from 5-8 seconds; my Fireworks scene mode caps that at 2 seconds, so it wouldn't work for me. HTH.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:44 AM

What would be the best way to shoot fireworks with this camera? Just on my block I will have tons to take shots at. In scene mode(fireworks) or night?

Old 06-29-2009, 08:19 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Quote:
What would be the best way to shoot fireworks with this camera? Just on my block I will have tons to take shots at. In scene mode(fireworks) or night?
This is exactly what I was trying to tell Tinman. Check your manual and see the aperture/shutter speed settings that your camera chooses for each of these modes. If the shutter speed is faster than the "recommended" 5 seconds, your fireworks shots may not be the best. I would shoot manual if I were you.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:12 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
This was my first attempt at a night shot, hand held on ? Auto... Trying to figure out how to do the property with histogram. This was STS125 the Hubble Service Mission last month...
I see a few issues. The camera opted to go for ISO800 resulting in a very grainy image. As you noted, the white balance is off too. It looks like you took this picture at a focal length of about 70 mm (35 mm equivalent, about 15 mm "digital"). The camera selected f/4 and 1/125s settings. In fact, there was room for lower ISO even for a handheld shot but the camera assumed otherwise.

Given all that, I would recommend using at least program mode (lower ISO setting, keeping it no more than 200). You will likely need to use tripod or just very stable hands. White Balance will need an adjustment too.

And if you're going to use tripod, I would also recommend going at least aperture priority and selecting a smaller aperture (f/5.6-f/8). It will make the lighting sharper and reduce aberration, and perhaps even add interest with "star filter" effect (also resulting from slower shutter speed).

This could have been one of your entries in the latest assignment (#36: Critique).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
...as I myself am trying to learn my camera in preparation for the 4th of July. What was suggested here in the Fireworks thread was to expose from 5-8 seconds; my Fireworks scene mode caps that at 2 seconds, so it wouldn't work for me. HTH.
I'd recommend 3-5 seconds, ISO100 and also relatively small aperture (to reduce chromatic aberration and for sharper lines). Any longer and you may get too many bursts in each frame.

I'm heading out of town this weekend, and hopefully will get a chance to try photographing fireworks after a two year hiatus.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:11 AM

Default A nice Canon strap!

Just received this strap from ebay and this seller. The strap is really nice. Fits the SX10 perfect! The seller ships lightening fast!
Just thought I would share.

Canon Camera Strap Neck - eBay (item 160326576639 end time Jul-05-09 07:55:12 PDT)

Old 06-29-2009, 11:27 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,812,715 times
Quote:
Just received this strap from ebay and this seller. The strap is really nice. Fits the SX10 perfect! The seller ships lightening fast!
Just thought I would share.

Canon Camera Strap Neck - eBay (item 160326576639 end time Jul-05-09 07:55:12 PDT)
I'm just curious why you bought a neck strap. What was wrong with the one that came with the camera? I thought you were trying to avoid neck straps?

As for your photo, Tinman, I haven't tried it yet myself, but I am guessing that the best way to get a night photo with the SX10 IS is to figure out how to do it manually AND with a tripod AND using the self-timer. If you read the manual, you can custom set the self-timer up to, I think, 30 seconds.

I'm going to be traveling from Chicago back to SC and may not arrive home until the 4th so not sure I'll have time to experiment, but I do have the manual and a tripod with me, so we'll see.

Good luck, both of you. The learning curve has been high for me too, but the more you shoot and experiment, the more you will learn what works and what doesn't. It helps to read a section of the manual BEFORE you experiment, but it's so hard to remember everything when you're out shooting! But think about it. If you master this camera, then upgrading to a DSLR will be that much easier than going from a simple p&Ss to a DSLR.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
I'm just curious why you bought a neck strap. What was wrong with the one that came with the camera? I thought you were trying to avoid neck straps?

I'm going to be traveling from Chicago back to SC and may not arrive home until the 4th so not sure I'll have time to experiment, but I do have the manual and a tripod with me, so we'll see.

Good luck, both of you. The learning curve has been high for me too, but the more you shoot and experiment, the more you will learn what works and what doesn't. It helps to read a section of the manual BEFORE you experiment, but it's so hard to remember everything when you're out shooting! But think about it. If you master this camera, then upgrading to a DSLR will be that much easier than going from a simple p&Ss to a DSLR.
No, I do not like neckstraps. But better safe than sorry for now. I cannot find a hand strap that will fit our camera as of yet. I did a buy it now on one in ebay, will have to put it away for that 40D someday!
This Canon strap is nice and soft and rubberized on the inside and is also a nice wide inch and a half.

I will wait for next July 4th for a shoot of fireworks. I would want to use a star filter and do not have one yet. Called Ritz Camera and they are out of stock.

I agree, it is very hard to remember all the settings and what you used them for. I am taking notes. I have like 10 pages already that I go back and refer too. I tried something new today. In bright daylight sun I actually went into AV aperature priority and am experimenting between f2.0 and f8.0. My pics came out pretty good. The only thing I have to practice on quick right now with different settings is Peanut! She has been a perfect model!

Last edited by Blondie621; 06-29-2009 at 01:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography