Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 03:09 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,020,530 times

Advertisements

I use Downloader Pro:

Downloader Pro - Download, Organize, Rename Images Photos Canon, Fuji, Minolta, Olympus and Pentax Digital Cameras

It automatically renames images at the time of download with options taken from the EXIF data such as the camera name, date, time, etc. Thus I get file names such as 5D2_2009_8_11_Text.cr2 to distinguish between my different cameras (5D2, 40D, 20D, etc). It also copies the files to several directories to create multiple backups, again, all at the time of download from the flash card. Since I also occasionally shoot RAW+JPEG, it can also separate those file types into separate directories too.

I backup all my drives to multiple locations, as well as network storage. All of my data always exists on at least 4 physical hardrives at any given time, including a removable drive that I store in a fireproof safe, and a second encrypted drive that I store offsite in my desk at work in case of a worst case scenario. Yes, I am paranoid about my data!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 03:13 PM

18,118 posts, read 11,753,710 times
Another alternative to the HD is a partition drive. If Drive C crashes, the partition drive is untouched. I had this setup on my old DELL, loved it, but not to subtract burning to DVD's for keep sake.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:46 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
Another alternative to the HD is a partition drive. If Drive C crashes, the partition drive is untouched.
Um, no. That might protect you in the case of a software corruption of the disk. However, the much larger worry is a failure of the drive itself, a head crash for example. Partitioning does nothing for you there. You really need to copy your images to two or more actual physical drives.

Now I realize you also said that doesn't subtract from burning to DVDs as well. However, I'm still puzzled by what you think you're accomplishing with multiple partitions on the same drive. I myself don't use DVDs for backup. I simply backup to multiple external hard-drives using the program that I referenced above.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:54 PM

467 posts, read 1,890,846 times
An external drive is a good solution, but it isn't worth a damn if lost to a fire. I also keep my stuff on separate sets of USB drives. One set accompanies me wherever I go. The other set stays at work.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:09 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
An external drive is a good solution, but it isn't worth a damn if lost to a fire. I also keep my stuff on separate sets of USB drives. One set accompanies me wherever I go. The other set stays at work.
That is true. Multiple drives doesn't protect against physical threats such as fire, or theft. When we go on vacation, I always unplug one of my drives and drop it off at a neighbors. Not sure what you mean by "USB drives", as my external disk drives are USB drives. Perhaps you're taking about USB thumb drives. If you can hold all your images on one of those, more power to you. I have hundreds of gigabytes of images, so that's not an option.

At this juncture in time, I believe the best solution is storing images on external hard drives AND using one of those on-line backup services. Then you're prepared for anything. I really need to start using one of those...

Old 08-12-2009, 05:47 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
Oh boy ...this stuff is confusing.

I forgot to say that the hard drive we are saving to is an external hard drive.

I am going to study all the great answers....thanks everyone!!!

Old 08-12-2009, 05:50 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
I keep one set of photo back-ups on flickr.com, I can also easily share with family and friends.

Rich

Old 08-12-2009, 06:48 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Oh boy ...this stuff is confusing.
LOL... I just downloaded the sync toy and I'm looking at it now. As correctly noted you need to make sure if you're editing photos such as if you want to send them in email you still have a backup of original.

As mentioned you really need multiple copies on different devices and preferably different locations if you want to insure their integrity. Let's say you have the drive on you computer and the external drive.

So you'll have a copy of them on your computer drive.

You would use the sync tool to mirror that copy on the backup drive so we have two copies on two separate devices. You never edit or work directly with these files either on your computer drive or external drive.

**** Now if you want to do any editing of files what you want to do is create one more copy as the "garbage" copy.

Quote:
but not to subtract burning to DVD's for keep sake.
DVD is good medium for additional backup but never rely on it as THE backup. There's so many variables and things that go wrong. When you burn a disc you're actually burning the data into a chemical. This chemical is going to break down over time. How long? Who knows but corruption of the data at some point in time is inevitable. Reliability has many factors including the burner, software and most importantly the disc itself. Some cheap DVD media can have very high failure rates even on the initial burn.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:02 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
My recommendation is correct for the portion of the post that I quoted. Namely, how to save new stuff without overwriting old stuff. Others above had already addressed the question of dealing with original versus edited images, so I did not go there.

But since you brought it up, I don't understand all the rigmarole you are going through yourself. Photoshop CS and LR don't modify RAW images. The actual raw converter adjustments you make are saved in XMP files. There's no need for you to make extra copies of your images as TIFFs as well as keeping the RAWs. TIFFs are HUGE and unnecessary in this context.
I use PhotShop and other applications including Graphic Converter. The first TIFF image is the one I use to print, to display on the computer or the TV screen, or simply to make JPEG copies. JPEG is good for e-mailing, posting on the Internet, etc., but not the best format when one wants uncompressed images. Once the original TIFF image looks the way I want, I save it that way. However, I only save to external hard drives and DVD's my best images, not all the photos I take, and I have a lot of room on the external hard drive.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:31 AM

18,118 posts, read 11,753,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Um, no. That might protect you in the case of a software corruption of the disk. However, the much larger worry is a failure of the drive itself, a head crash for example. Partitioning does nothing for you there. You really need to copy your images to two or more actual physical drives.

Now I realize you also said that doesn't subtract from burning to DVDs as well. However, I'm still puzzled by what you think you're accomplishing with multiple partitions on the same drive. I myself don't use DVDs for backup. I simply backup to multiple external hard-drives using the program that I referenced above.

All that I know is ..... when my Win XP drive C crashed, the partitioned drive was all intact. I would say this is a optional place for usage and storage. If you have multiple computers at home using one just for photography purpose without the internet, you are safe with a partitioned drive.

Growing up, I had kept all my favorite baby photos in a safe deposit box at the bank. Those pictures were very sentimental to me. Later someone told me to distribute the photos every season to family members; don't be the solo owner. A tactful way is make Christmas postcards. I'm coming from negatives, unless you are a organized person, they are useless.

Back on topic; Any way you can save pictures outside the computer or the Drive C is the answer. Printing is great for the meager best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography