Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 11:47 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,810,780 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'll chime in with my two cents now. I also prefer the composition of the second photo better than the first one. I do think the colors are a bit over-saturated, though. I myself use and like a lot of saturation, but in this case I think it makes the brick look unnatural. Some of the foliage on the left could use more contrast, and it appears a little dark. If it were my photo, I might take the clone tool and bring that foliage in the right rear down a bit to cover at least a bit of that distracting bit in the back.

It if were to take a vertical shot of the gazebo, I might use one of the paths to lead the viewer's eye into the picture and maybe diagonally with gazebo a bit smaller in the upper right third.

I'm not fond of this black and white version. I prefer it in color. I think a soft focus affect would look nice with this subject matter. I'm not an expert at photo editing, but I think you could somehow achieve it using Gaussian Blur. Or if you use Photo Bucket as I do, you could apply it more easily with the editing tools there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 11:52 AM

1,872 posts, read 6,492,598 times
Here's the color with soft focus in PS:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1 (2).JPG
Views:	1929
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	47798

Here's a B&W version (Channel Mixer 10/10/80) of the soft focus:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-3 (2).JPG
Views:	1211
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	47799
The B&W doesn't look as good as I expected. The white sky at the top is a bit distracting. But with a little bit more playing around, it could create a very different/mysterious mood from the color one.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:53 AM

1,872 posts, read 6,492,598 times
Here's a tutorial on applying soft focus: Soft Focus Lens Effect - Photoshop Photo Effects Tutorial

Old 08-27-2009, 11:57 AM

125 posts, read 255,276 times
Very nice!

Old 08-27-2009, 01:00 PM

184 posts, read 491,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
Okay, I'll chime in with my two cents now. I also prefer the composition of the second photo better than the first one. I do think the colors are a bit over-saturated, though. I myself use and like a lot of saturation, but in this case I think it makes the brick look unnatural. Some of the foliage on the left could use more contrast, and it appears a little dark. If it were my photo, I might take the clone tool and bring that foliage in the right rear down a bit to cover at least a bit of that distracting bit in the back.

It if were to take a vertical shot of the gazebo, I might use one of the paths to lead the viewer's eye into the picture and maybe diagonally with gazebo a bit smaller in the upper right third.

I'm not fond of this black and white version. I prefer it in color. I think a soft focus affect would look nice with this subject matter. I'm not an expert at photo editing, but I think you could somehow achieve it using Gaussian Blur. Or if you use Photo Bucket as I do, you could apply it more easily with the editing tools there.
You're right about the brick and foliage on the left. I had concerns about those as well. I'll go back and try to do a little tweaking.

As far as the composition goes, I was standing by a busy-ish road, so I don't know that it was very possible to make the vertical version much more interesting, unfortunately. It was a pretty small "park." I was just trying to get as much from it as possible.

I did try using Gaussian Blur, but perhaps I didn't do enough of it. I'll try it again.

Thanks for sharing your suggestions.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:01 PM

184 posts, read 491,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Here's a tutorial on applying soft focus: Soft Focus Lens Effect - Photoshop Photo Effects Tutorial
Thank you, I'll take a look at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography