Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 10:01 AM

647 posts, read 1,663,726 times

Advertisements

For a paid site, I would go with SmugMug as well. I'm throwing around the idea, just to see if people wanted to purchase anything, but I'd hate to put money into this if no one buys anything. I guess that's the risk you take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 04:54 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,002 times
I have been looking at smugmug also. Not that I think people will buy my pictures but just to have seperate galleries and unlimited storage for $150 a year is pretty cheap. If the others using it feel up to it link your homepage there so we can check out how you set it up and your galleries

Old 03-24-2010, 12:41 PM

738 posts, read 2,956,994 times
For the OP - I'd still argue that Picasa is the best solution for her, over smugmug or otherwise. It provides an easy-to-use software interface to edit and upload photos to albums, and it's 100% free. If she's just uploading snapshots and success stories for her dog adoptions, I can't imagine she's concerned about people stealing images. As an adoption agency, I'd think you would want to keep as much money available for the dogs, and not tied up in smugmug annual fees (even if it covers just a bag or two of dog food)

Also, if you do a google search, picasa has a built in option to create RSS feeds, here's a link from the picasa FAQs about it:
Creating custom RSS feeds - Picasa Help

Old 03-24-2010, 02:59 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,044,370 times
I'll dive in on Old Man Winter's suggestion. My gallery can be found at

http://www.marckollarphotography.com

To the OP, in thinking about your situation, I checked over the options on Photobucket. The site does allow for descriptions to be entered for each photo and you can maintain albums on the site.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:17 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Very nice RUNYYfan. I still have yet to figure out how to make an opening page like yours.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:41 PM

Thanks!

If you have a SmugMug Pro account, check out the DigitalGrin Customization Forums. There are several threads explaining how to set up the layout I have. Just be aware that a lot of the information is going to be in web design language for Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) and HTML.

The header design was actually done in Photoshop using about seven or eight layers, one for each of the photos, one for each of the frames around the photos, and two more for the wording. I kept the master file in Photoshop format, flattened the image and saved it as a PNG. The PNG is what I use on the site.

The slide show I have set up is actually a "call" within the design of the main page to a hidden gallery within my account where I keep all the images.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:01 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
I have been looking at smugmug also. Not that I think people will buy my pictures but just to have seperate galleries and unlimited storage for $150 a year is pretty cheap.
I haven't looked at Smugmug but a quick look at the link provided and I'd suggest Coppermine or Gallery are going to be in the same boat. I haven't used either in quite a while so I'm not up to date on what they offer.

If you already have your own domain and hosting that supports PHP and Mysql you can download them for free... Both of those features are very common, actually it would be odd if you didn't have them.

One big benefit is you're doing everything in house.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:03 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Thanks RUNYYfan.

Best I have been able to come up with so far is this: bydand photo using the "easy customizer" which I really don't like, but I am severely limited by lack of CSS language knowledge. I'll have to poke around the digital grin link you gave and see if that clears up some of the "hocus pocus" factor for me.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:16 PM

Great photos Bydand!

You're right the "easy customizer" is rather short on options to customize. Check your DM. I sent you a couple of links that may help you further.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:50 PM

57 posts, read 165,338 times
I store my photos in windows live..FREE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography